JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just came across this Beretta site picture of the CX4

introBanner5.jpg

looks to me as if the shooter is cross dominant, meaning right handed but with a stronger left eye. Same issue with me. Is it worth learning to shoot left handed?

I'm cross dominant. When I shoulder a rifle or shotgun, it goes on the left shoulder and I operate the controls with my left hand. I never forced myself to train this way; it just came naturally from the start. Eyes are always open with rifle, shotgun, and handgun.

I've known a few guys that were cross dominant.
My father was cross dominant.
He was left handed, right eye dominant. Shot rifle right handed, shot pistol left handed. Shot with both eyes open.

Had a buddy in the infantry who was left handed/right eye too. He shot left handed and trained his left eye to shoot. Shot with both eyes open.

I was raised to be RH though I'm actually LH so there was a period where I was shooting cross dominant. I recommend switching to shooting long arms LH and if you can strengthen your left side enough handguns as well

My mom has the RH LE thing going and makes helping teach her to shoot insanely hard for me because I can't empathize with her situation (not to be confused with sympathize you knuckle dragger's:D).

I am very, very fortunate to have inherited my grandfathers ambitious genes - I keep both eyes open but can shoot right eyed or left eyed as they start to fatigue if needed.

Same with pistols, I can RH or LH shoot them (one or two handed) and may change dominant eyes when I switch hands.

Rifles and shotguns, I have always shot RH RE (or both open more often). This thread has me thinking next time I go shooting I may give shouldering on the left shoulder and see how that goes, cuz now I'm curious.

(I rarely share my ambidextrous abilities because I get one of two reactions 99% of the time:
1. I'm lying
2. I'm bragging)

My mom has the RH LE thing going and makes helping teach her to shoot insanely hard for me because I can't empathize with her situation (not to be confused with sympathize you knuckle dragger's:D).

I am very, very fortunate to have inherited my grandfathers ambitious genes - I keep both eyes open but can shoot right eyed or left eyed as they start to fatigue if needed.

Same with pistols, I can RH or LH shoot them (one or two handed) and may change dominant eyes when I switch hands.

Rifles and shotguns, I have always shot RH RE (or both open more often). This thread has me thinking next time I go shooting I may give shouldering on the left shoulder and see how that goes, cuz now I'm curious.

(I rarely share my ambidextrous abilities because I get one of two reactions 99% of the time:
1. I'm lying
2. I'm bragging)
I'm not ambidextrous but I can shoot with either hand. I always practiced that way for years.
Really came in handy when I broke my right arm. I changed my carry method while healing and went about my business.

I tried but could never get comfortable using my left hand to shoot.
I gave up and I close my right eye when shooting handguns and left
eye with rifles/shotguns. Not ideal I know but it works for me. The
bigger issue for me is now that I am old I can't see the sights any more.

I am right handed in function, Left hand as born, Almost totally ambidextrous I can print almost as fast with my left as my right (can't write cursive with either)
I shoot rifles mostly right handed closing my left eye with open sights and either open or closed with scopes. I also shoot left handed having to close my right eye. Shotguns I tend to shoot right handed left eye closed mostly even on the fly. Handguns I shoot right handed using my left eye most of the time. Though I can use either.

I tried but could never get comfortable using my left hand to shoot.
I gave up and I close my right eye when shooting handguns and left
eye with rifles/shotguns. Not ideal I know but it works for me. The
bigger issue for me is now that I am old I can't see the sights any more.
The reading glass thing has hit me as well. Red dots are the only way to see both reticle and target sharp. That's why I have a Burris Fastfire ...

The reading glass thing has hit me as well. Red dots are the only way to see both reticle and target sharp. That's why I have a Burris Fastfire ...
I use a red dot on my .22s for Bull's Eye and for the speed steel competitions at DRRC.
The rest of the time I wear one contact in my left eye with the power set for
the distance my sights are at. Blurs up the target a bit but not a big problem.
Works pretty well over all.

Is it worth learning to shoot left handed?

Stepping away from rifles/carbines, it's a good idea to practice shooting a handgun from both your strong-side hand and your weak-side hand. The point made to me about this had to do primarily with the possibility that in some kind of fight, or even where you may be injured during the self-defense event on your primary/strong-side arm/hand, you may find yourself in a position of having to shoot and aim, on your weak side. I learned this for the first time at a defensive handgun training course and it was an eye opener, so to speak ;)

Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion on cross-eye dominance...

Shooting with Iron sights from age five or six.
Many, many rounds on the farm.

When I throw a gun up to my right shoulder and study the sights with my right eye. My brain just shuts off my left.

Even though it's wide open. My brain discount's the information. :s0092:

Old guy here. Right handed shooter. Right eye dominant. Cannot clearly see pistol front sights now. I switched to my left eye with pistols and retrained myself. After bilateral cataract surgeries the left eye sees up close better. Works great for me.

Left handed right eye dominant. Taught myself at age 10 to shoot right hand rifle. Shoot hand guns left handed and it's a pain crossing over. Have learned to shoot open sights handgun but need to practice a lot to make it work.

1. I'm lying
2. I'm bragging)
"(I rarely share my ambidextrous abilities because I get one of two reactions 99% of the time:
1. I'm lying
2. I'm bragging)"

Why can't it be both? :D Just screwing with you.

A buddy of mine and I were shooting a bunch of different pistols the other day and I brought up the maybe we should practice single weak hand thing. He's RH RE. He picked up his favorite pistol left handed, remarked about how he didn't think he'd ever tried left handed, and promptly shot a smaller group than the one he'd just been bragging about. Kinda ticked me off. ;)

Google "Bill McMillan" or "McMillan Tilt" aka "McMillan Rotate".

Bill McMillan was a cross-dominant Olympic gold medalist and Marine pistol ace, who found that if he tilted his weapon around 35-45 degrees (not the all-the-way-over gangbanger bull) it brought the sights from his right-handed 1911 over in front of his left eye.

I use this myself when I'm training on unsupported weak-hand-only techniques, and all I can say is "try it, you might like it"--though I've also adapted to a point where if I slightly squint one eye, I seem to be able to shift "master eye" at will while still retaining peripheral vision to the other side.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top