JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm wanting to go shoot up some dogs. For all intents and purposes, I live in Portland, and obviously I can't shoot dogs right here in the city. So I'd appreciate it much if someone could share a decent coyote spot or two with me. Preferably west or south of Portland. Seems to me I shouldn't have to drive more than an hour to find a decent area. Especially if I go west. And I really don't want to go over to East Oregon for several reasons.

Another thing I'm wondering is how dangerous hunting around here may be? Not very dangerous, I would imagine but is there any off chance I could be stalked by a cougar? My cousin will be hunting with me and I'm wondering if maybe I have him watch our 6 with the SKS?

Go find some public land with clearcuts with about 3-5 years of growth in them if you can.

Then go walk the roads to look for sign/activity and/or find a few locations where you have good visibility. There are some areas west of portland, and some south as well. If you can be somewhat close to civilization you'll be in better shape since they love cats.

Oh...I don't know about the cougars, they haven't bothered me. I think they are further south and east. :-D

Lots of coyotes here in SW WA. They hide out and nest in the dense woods and gullys, they are hard to see, and run off if you go after them. But you can call them in. I see them out in the cow fields, in the morning sometimes. I live in an area that allows shotgun hunting, because there are a lot of new houses that have moved in. My property isn't big enough to go hunting on, for public use, but you might find a local farmer that will let you set up on a bigger plot. You can usually call them in with an electronic call. You want a nice big cow field, that slopes down to a creek bed. You usually don't have to worry about cougars when you are sitting and calling, on a farm.

I don't want to drive east 3hrs So where are some good areAs in the area? I have heard rumors that in the salmon falls area as well as up larch. I have looking all over trying to find some places and contacts to hunt property. No luck as of now. I'm all set
up just need to find a few places. I have never been up the the salmon falls area and larch is usualy packed with shooters. Any info on the subject would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I don't want to drive east 3hrs So where are some good areAs in the area? I have heard rumors that in the salmon falls area as well as up larch. I have looking all over trying to find some places and contacts to hunt property. No luck as of now. I'm all set
up just need to find a few places. I have never been up the the salmon falls area and larch is usualy packed with shooters. Any info on the subject would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Check out Google Maps on the satellite view. Them DNR lands are pretty big. There's more back there than just Larch. Might have to hike a bit if you want to get away from others. Don't leave anything valuable in your vehicle.

Thanks for the heads up! I went hiking out in the larch area last weekend to try and find some tracks. I need ro go deeper into the hills though. To much recreational riding where I went. Wouldn't feel comfortable shooting even of I did find a den. I have a friend who lives on washougal river road and I wouldn't leave my vehical even there. it amazes me how ballzy people are getting...

Coyotes all over. Sometimes have a hard time not bumping into them. Figure out where you want to hunt and scout it out. If there's coyotes in the area there ais going to be tracks & scat. As for having a buddy to watch your back for killer coyotes, they're not a threat. Was sitting on a log deer hunting a few years ago, coyote walked to within about 20 feet of me not knowing I was there. I barked at him and he was off like a shot.

Depending on where you are hunting, a buddy to watch your back side might mean to watch for coyotes that come in from the back side that you may not get a shot at, or, if like me you hunt deer and elk in eastern Oregon, and I accidently called in a mountain lion. You would not want one of those sneeking up on your back side. The one I called in came to an elk call. I was trying to call in a cow elk using a cow call like an injured calf. The mountain lion came to within about 50 feet. The only reason I didn't shoot it is that I did not have a lion tag, and I didn't know what the penalty would be for shooting one without a tag. Now I always buy a lion tag at the same time I get my deer tag.

about an hour and half - 2 hours from portland, up in Saddle Mtn unit, there's a LOT of coyote. i'm sure you can find them closer, but i haven't spent much time in the wilderness since my saddle mtn days. i could probably even take a glance at googlemaps and give you some directions to a couplefew spots where they used to come out barking and yapping from every hilltop every bubblegumin night at dusk... they were everywhere.

i came into the hunting section looking for bear info.. but now i'm startin itch for 'yote again..

I have been told that if you simply scout out the area and find ranchers/farmers that are losing sheep/chickens and other animals to coyotes or other critters they may jump at the chance to have you help them out. But you may have to knock on a lot of doors before you get an owner willing to trust that you are a responsible shooter that will not shoot in the direction of his house or his herds.

Private land is your best bet. Deer or Elk season is not the time to go looking for Coyotes in the woods.

It wise to hunt with a friend, as others have pointed out. When you call in a Coyote you may call in a bobcat or cougar also. Suggest you use an electronic call and place it out about 50 yards to be safe, remote activated, of course. Take a lite rifle, 22-250 etc, and shotgun, use the shotgun if they come in close. You may call in more than one at a time. Sometimes a pack of 4 or 5 can show up, damn near like a bunch of wolves.

I have heard the same thing, and I started doing that while I was off work, but right now, I don't have the time to go driving around the out-back knocking on doors. The people I did contact were not having a problem with preditors. I put up a notice at the local feed store, and got one response, but I didn't get too far with that one. The guy was loosing some fancy chickens, but I think it may have been racoons. Never did see anything. I want to go get a trail camera to see if I can chatch anything on film, but right now, I can't figure out which one will do the best job for me.

Well, on Aug 12th there were 2 coyote standing in the middle of Salmonberry road near dusk. (Salmonberry road near MP 32 on Sunset hwy -- access to some outdoor shooting areas).

So this is about an hour from Beaverton.

I know where Salmonberry Rd is. I used to go out that way for informal target parctice until some people decided to start leaving their trash on the side roads. At first my friends and I would pick up the trash and take it to the dump, but after a while it got to be too much, and we didn't want to get accused of dumping out there, so we are now looking for another place to shoot. I joined Tri-County-Gun Club a couple of weeks ago. It is a nice facility, but there are all kinds of things you can't do. You cannot shoot a pistol on the 100 yard range. You can't shoot a 22 pistol on the 22 rifle range. Some of it makes sense. You can't shoot a silhouette pistol on the rifle silhouette range. Some of it doesn't.

As far as that coyote on 217 goes, I can imagine that. I saw one out on 205 near 10th st exit a couple of years ago too. That one was alive and well.

I know where Salmonberry Rd is. I used to go out that way for informal target parctice until some people decided to start leaving their trash on the side roads. At first my friends and I would pick up the trash and take it to the dump, but after a while it got to be too much, and we didn't want to get accused of dumping out there, so we are now looking for another place to shoot. I joined Tri-County-Gun Club a couple of weeks ago. It is a nice facility, but there are all kinds of things you can't do. You cannot shoot a pistol on the 100 yard range. You can't shoot a 22 pistol on the 22 rifle range. Some of it makes sense. You can't shoot a silhouette pistol on the rifle silhouette range. Some of it doesn't.

As far as that coyote on 217 goes, I can imagine that. I saw one out on 205 near 10th st exit a couple of years ago too. That one was alive and well.

I live right off the 10th street exit and have seen several Coyotes on the trail behind my place. There were reports of a Cougar being seen on the hills right in that same area this year, that sighting was in the West Linn Tidings Paper. Amazing that they are so close to homes and condos. I pack my little Coyote killer Kel-tec 380 when I walk the trails.

Well...this is my first post here on this forum and I haven't even had the chance to go over to the place for new members to introduce themselves. I don't want to start an argument, but actually I prefer to be ALONE when I am calling predators. Coyotes have probably about the keenest nose of any creature in the Oregon woods and two people mean twice the scent plume. Especially here in the western part of the state where it is heavily timbered you often need to get them to within less than 50 yards. If you want success in Western Oregon I would recommend going it alone for coyotes.

With regard to mountain lion, sit with your back against a good sized tree to prevent being ambushed from the blind side. I also use a Foxpro remote electronic caller and set it out there about 50-60 feet away. That gets the sound away from you. I also use a decoy by the caller to help focus the predator's attention.

Remember bears are considered predators and will respond to a distress call as well. I would actually be more concerned about them than a cat. For this reason I re-barrelled my 223 into a 243 and shoot an 80g bullet. If I am in an area that has a high concentration of bear I have some 90g Nosler Ballistic Tips and 95g Nosler Partition that I use. That is overkill for a coyote but makes me feel safer.

If you happen to call in a big cat, feel privileged. They are much more difficult to call in than coyote. I know of guys that have called in hundreds of yotes and not one single lion.

Well...this is my first post here on this forum and I haven't even had the chance to go over to the place for new members to introduce themselves. I don't want to start an argument, but actually I prefer to be ALONE when I am calling predators. Coyotes have probably about the keenest nose of any creature in the Oregon woods and two people mean twice the scent plume. Especially here in the western part of the state where it is heavily timbered you often need to get them to within less than 50 yards. If you want success in Western Oregon I would recommend going it alone for coyotes.

With regard to mountain lion, sit with your back against a good sized tree to prevent being ambushed from the blind side. I also use a Foxpro remote electronic caller and set it out there about 50-60 feet away. That gets the sound away from you. I also use a decoy by the caller to help focus the predator's attention.

Remember bears are considered predators and will respond to a distress call as well. I would actually be more concerned about them than a cat. For this reason I re-barrelled my 223 into a 243 and shoot an 80g bullet. If I am in an area that has a high concentration of bear I have some 90g Nosler Ballistic Tips and 95g Nosler Partition that I use. That is overkill for a coyote but makes me feel safer.

If you happen to call in a big cat, feel privileged. They are much more difficult to call in than coyote. I know of guys that have called in hundreds of yotes and not one single lion.

(Taking notes) Thanks for the info.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top