JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm new to coyote hunting. I don't really want to deal with the learning curve involved with using mouth calls. I've been looking at the foxpro's and other calls. But, I don't really want to take out a loan for an electronic call or pay more for the call than I did for my rifle ..... LOL. These things are way expensive for what the are.

Anyway, I'd like to hear what other options for electronic calls there are and what others have been using and what works. If I can get away with using a 38 dollar E-call, I'd be more than happy ...... if they are worth buying and actaully work.

Ideas?

The problem with electronic predator calls is they all pretty much all sound the same. If you are calling in heavily hunted areas, the coyotes aren't fooled for long, if at all by the battery powered sounds. As for the learning curve of mouth calls, it is very short, sweet and painless for distress sounds. Coyote vocalizations and howling is where it can get tough, if you aren't making the right sounds you can actually warn coyotes to "stay away" from your calls. Pick up a simple closed reed mouth call (I'd recommend a Haydel's Government Hunter Cottontail call for about $7-$10). Watch some coyote hunting videos or predator hunting shows on the outdoor chanel and try to mimic the sounds you hear the hunters making on their calls. Once you master the closed reed mouth call you will want to get an open reed call to be able to make more sounds without changing calls. A great open reed call that I use all the time is actually an elk call (Primos Hyper Lip Single). Learn how to use the mouth calls and I promise, you will be a better caller, enjoy your time in the field more, and stick with it longer.

recently read a how to make your own e-caller article - don't recall brands, etc... but the guy went to the good will and bought some speakers from a boom box or computer speaker set for about $12, went to radio shack and bought a battery powered amp (9volt I think) and had a cheapo mp3 player. he ran a length of wire between the mp3 player and the amp/speaker and downloaded a bunch of calls from various free hunting/predator calling sites on line.

i too did the home made call. i downloaded a bunch of free sounds to my phone and used a headphone jack to run it to a small amp and into a good speaker. i spent very little to set it up. the problem i had was the sound quality wasn't there. i now have a foxpro and i call coyotes, cats, crows and whatever else. i would like to learn the mouth calls in the future so i dont have to take the foxpro everywere with me.

The problem with electronic predator calls is they all pretty much all sound the same. If you are calling in heavily hunted areas, the coyotes aren't fooled for long, if at all by the battery powered sounds.

WRONG. I have at least 25 different recordings for each sound. I.E. 25 different howls, 25 different ki-yis, 25 different rabbit in distress ETC and have no problem calling in yotes and cats. Thirteen coyotes just last weekend(should have had 4 more but we won't go into that) Sure if you only play "lightening jack" like all the rookies, you will find little success. Mix it up and use the yotes and cats to pay for your e-calls, I have two now. Yes I used to carry a lanyard full of mouth calls but only have one now that I use to stop a charging yote for the shot. And a "squeaker" on the rifle stock that I use to communicate with whomever is on the stand with me.

Well, I was lucky enough to have someone send me a nice handmade call. It's small and is made from a piece of antler that was polyurethaned. Now I just need to learn how to use it. I was also looking at my local wholesale sports warehouse and saw they had the Cass creek electronic caller for 59 bucks. It comes with a remote. I know the calls are limited. But, it's a good price to get started. I can always upgrade later. They also sell a Cass creek bighorn speaker that is amplified. They sell it for 29 bucks. I have a bunch of downloaded calls that I put on my droid phone. I can easily use the Cass creek speaker to plug into my phone and use my phone to play the calls I have loaded on it. I may just use this route initially since it gets me in the game for just over 29 bucks. Plus, I'll have the closed mouth call to learn on. This should at least get me started. I can always throw more money at it later. Now I just gotta get moved into my new place and get a chance to get out there and try it out.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

WRONG. I have at least 25 different recordings for each sound. I.E. 25 different howls, 25 different ki-yis, 25 different rabbit in distress ETC and have no problem calling in yotes and cats. Thirteen coyotes just last weekend(should have had 4 more but we won't go into that) Sure if you only play "lightening jack" like all the rookies, you will find little success. Mix it up and use the yotes and cats to pay for your e-calls, I have two now. Yes I used to carry a lanyard full of mouth calls but only have one now that I use to stop a charging yote for the shot. And a "squeaker" on the rifle stock that I use to communicate with whomever is on the stand with me.

Care to regale us with the brand of call you're using or should we just guess? ;-)

hey mutt just put the close reed call to your mouth and blow on it, do this 3 or 4 times and wait a few min. then do it again. that call is simple easy to use and will bring dogs in. hahaha good luck man, hey I am giving away a 60.00 howler this week.

Hey Mutt report back how the mouth call works. After many years of traveling to C.O. to shoot sage rats and hearing coyotes all over, I am thinking I need to start calling them. But I can't aford a ecall right now, if I had known I needed a bunch of money just to go hunting I would never have retired!!

prkrgrp is the howler a mouth call? How do I get in the drawing?

Uh...there is an app for that! Don't know about yotes but I use mine for crow, squirrel and rabbit and got some decent results. To be honest.. planning, location scouting, feed spots and time of day factors more than a call ever will.

i too did the home made call. i downloaded a bunch of free sounds to my phone and used a headphone jack to run it to a small amp and into a good speaker. i spent very little to set it up. the problem i had was the sound quality wasn't there. i now have a foxpro and i call coyotes, cats, crows and whatever else. i would like to learn the mouth calls in the future so i dont have to take the foxpro everywere with me.

I did the same thing. The ghetto call worked, but it was pretty ghetto to be honest. I like my foxpro. I spend about over $200 in gas to get east for a weekend. I like that my call works.

Hey guys .. can any of you tell me how good the yote hunting is on the Olympic peninsula? I have land out there and just out back nearly endless forests and clearcuts.. I would be interested in teaming up with an experienced yote hunter out there in return for the experience..

I assume you just need a general hunting lisc and there's no bag limit?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top