Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Cow elk butchering results

Reactions
I went on a cow hunt with my brother a couple of weeks ago, private land meat hunt. Shot a nice cow. We process all our own meat and I just finished the last package of burger. Here’s how it all turned out, in terms of Foodsaver packages, boneless portions big enough for two plus a late night snack:

44 packages of round steak (big muscles behind the rear leg)
7 packages of rump
17 packages of backstrap
3 packages of sirloin (big muscles in front of the rear leg)
2 packages of shoulder steak
8 packages of blade roast
7 packages of tenderloin
69 packages of burger (trim from round, sirloin, rib, neck)

F853C63B-4721-4328-BA61-E9C37FE2D18B.jpeg

That’s elk for dinner three times a week for a year.

0B8641BA-6E43-46DD-A32B-A13C3D05B0EC.jpeg

I’m pretty pleased.

P

DirectDrive

Reactions
Sounds good to me. No need to add a bunch of breading and grease to a cut of meat that is as close to perfect as possible.
Now this is why the SEC kicks our asses.
Feed those Ducks some Chicken Fry !
(I think they're doin' it this year, actually)

:)

Joe13

Reactions
Little known secret for you yanks up here...

if the menu says country fried, in my experience, it isn’t worth eating.

Chicken fried venison is insanely good - never had elk done that way but some breading and lard will make cheap meat great so I don’t see a down side:D:rolleyes:.

by the way @pharmseller - what was the estimated weight when it was all said and done?

NEW CLASSIFIED ADS

LATEST REVIEWS

• Mary's Pistols
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic small business with equally excellent folks running the place. I was given fair value for a trade in and was able to order something I...
    • Red98422
  • Gooseneck Road
    4.00 star(s)
    Very popular service road with some unmarked logging roads that branch off of the main. Relatively cleaned up from what we saw. I just wish that...
    • Benzdriver81
  • Liberty Safes of Oregon
    5.00 star(s)
    I have now purchased 2 Safe’s and constantly recommend people go here. You get better quality than the other liberty safes made for places like...
    • Motojohonda
  • Supporting Vendor Lucky Sporting Goods
    5.00 star(s)
    Just dropped by today to pick up a rifle … this is what a gun store should be! None of the crotchety bluster and BS that so many other gun stores...
    • DLS
  • Supporting Vendor J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    I'll put in a good word for J&B Firearms Sales in Beaverton, on Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy (across the street from KFC and BiMart). I've always had...
    • RVNvet

Staff online