JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The old line a liberal is just a conservative who has not been mugged yet :D
She was VERY lucky that she got a chance to learn from her mistake. Many do not get that.
In the case of my friend, her initial lack of interest in learning to shoot had nothing to do with politics. And she had no beef with my carrying a gun when camping. I was usually hiking or camping alone miles from any help. And I was 5' 9" and slender, and weighed 140 lbs. Rather, she felt safe because of her size and the fact that her hiking was in a woodsy area along the Mississippi, within blocks of the home she had grown up in. A place she and others played in as kids. And she was 99% right in one way. She was, as she described proudly, from Scandinavian peasant stock. Not just nearly 6', but heavy boned and stockily built, and in good physical shape from regular exercise in spite of being overweight. The sort of woman who could have pulled the plow herself if the ox died. She did not disbelieve in the existence of bad guys. She just figured that they would not choose her for a target. And I think she was 99% right. That is, I think 99% of unarmed bad guys would have taken one look at her and chosen someone else. She simply did not act or look like a victim.

However, there were four flaws in her thinking. One is a bad guy could have a gun or knife. Her bad guy actually had a big knife. A second is a bad guy can often incapacitate a victim because they have the advantage of the first blow. She was unconscious before she knew the bad guy was a bad guy. Even a concealed gun is no help against this possibility. This possibility is one reason why I liked to have a good protective dog in addition to a concealed gun. The dog always stayed between me and any strangers. A third error is that her strength relative to males was less than she thought. Many females underestimate the difference in male and female strength because they play with boys and have recess together when young--when there is little physical difference. But after puberty when male's differential strength develops, girls and boys do not usually do sports or gym together. So only girls with fathers or big brothers are likely to have realistic ideas about their strength relative to males. The fourth error my friend made was she thought of the woods close to her childhood home as safe. But actually, I think those bike or hiking trails within or near cities are much more dangerous than ones that are more remote.

Probably at least a hundred cars per hour passed and saw her when she was collecting leaves. With the woods running along the river handy, it was an obvious place for bad guys from all over Twin Cities to come scouting for victims. Spending several hours on that trail most summer days meant that sooner or later she would be noticed by that bad guy who was armed and/or bigger than her.

My friend was indeed lucky. But she was also smart. And aggressive when she needed to be. She got those scissors from their belt holster and sank them deep into the guys back from hanging upside down over his shoulder. He dropped both his knife and her and she was able to get away. She was not sure how badly she hurt him. She thought she got him in the kidney. Since she was a biologist, that woulda been on purpose.

Last Edited:
-Because typically shooting is a male dominated sport.
-Because guns can be deadly, women are smart enough to realize that and may be hesitant to jump in head first without training.
-Because a lot of times when a man "teaches" a lady about guns, he is more interested in showing her what a bad bubblegum he is with a gun and ignores a lot of the the safety and training aspects.

I witnessed this while taking my sister shopping for her first pistol at 50 years old. The attitude from the guys in the gun shop was a lot different towards me, the non buyer, than towards her. Her male friends that owned guns just wanted to impress her with black rifles. I finally gave up, took her shooting, gave her a few lessons and gave her my Ruger LC9s. It is now her hiking gun. That was over a year ago. Just a few months ago I gifted her a 12 gauge which she is excited about. Losing a bit of the machismo and just sticking the basics could easily convince a lot of members of the fairer sex to take up gun ownership.
I think some men tend to be at their worst when trying to teach--more displaying for--a female who isn't theirs, that they are courting in some sense. Basically, they have a certain drive to want her to think of herself as and be helpless and needing them for protection. These are the guys that hand a woman a .44 mag or worse for her first gun experience. And encourage her to get discouraged from guns at all, or just get small hard to shoot guns of inferior calibers such as .22 for self defense.

Most men tend to be at their best in teaching a woman to shoot when the woman is already theirs--their wife or lover or sister or daughter. They have already impressed her with their drive and ability to protect when they are around. And they are suddenly face to face with the hard reality that their female loved ones are most likely to be in danger when their man isn't around. And that the only way for a man to protect the women he loves is to teach them to protect themselves. For real. With major guns and gun skills.

Of course, the guy usually by then has some other thoughts. If his wife enjoys guns and shooting, when he tries to suggest he might need another expensive gun, she doesn't say "You've got too many guns already." Instead she sees how he really does need that new gun, and explains why she needs a new gun too, and suggests you both go gun shopping together forthwith.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top