JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I got "Gun Rights Across America Washington States's" Facebook page to post the link to Dave's article. They have over 3,500 people following their page.

Gun control Goliath cries foul as David fights back

Within hours of yesterday’s announcement that Washington State gun rights leaders were mounting a defense against a big-money gun control initiative launched last week, the well-funded Washington Alliance for Gun Responsibility (WAGR) was crying foul in a blanket e-mail appealing for more money to pad its $1 million-plus war chest.

<broken link removed>

I got "Gun Rights Across America Washington States's" Facebook page to post the link to Dave's article. They have over 3,500 people following their page.

I also managed to get their national page (which has over 32,000 likes) to share the article so hopefully word gets around to friends and relatives who live in Washington state. Oh and I hope you get paid per page visit Dave :s0155:

I also managed to get their national page (which has over 32,000 likes) to share the article so hopefully word gets around to friends and relatives who live in Washington state. Oh and I hope you get paid per page visit Dave :s0155:

I saw the links on there. Thx. Wasn't familiar with those pages until now. The need to get word out across the country is important. Hopefully we can gin up support financially from gun owners all over the place and stop this B.S. here before it comes to them. The important thing is to STOP THIS HERE.

Sign the I-591 petition and get it to the legislature and get it on the ballot in 2014.

1 in 12 on Bloomberg?s gun victims list are crime suspects | WashingtonExaminer.com

"A preliminary analysis of the list of shooting "victims" New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg's group Mayors Against Illegal Guns is reading at rallies for new gun control laws finds that one in 12 are crime suspects killed by police or armed citizens acting in self-defense.

The review of 617 killings found that 50 were suspects in crimes ranging from assault to murder, not the type of violence Bloomberg's group suggests in its "No More Names" campaign to draw attention to the estimated 6,000 gun death "tragedies" since the mid-December Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings in Newton, Conn..."

1 in 12 on Bloomberg?s gun victims list are crime suspects | WashingtonExaminer.com

"A preliminary analysis of the list of shooting "victims” New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s group Mayors Against Illegal Guns is reading at rallies for new gun control laws finds that one in 12 are crime suspects killed by police or armed citizens acting in self-defense.

The review of 617 killings found that 50 were suspects in crimes ranging from assault to murder, not the type of violence Bloomberg’s group suggests in its "No More Names” campaign to draw attention to the estimated 6,000 gun death "tragedies” since the mid-December Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings in Newton, Conn..."

:s0155: :s0112: :s0155:

I swear, Gunny, you must have an NSA spy cam in my office. I have been working that story all morning:

More Bloomy outrage: Cop killers, other criminals on ‘gun victim’ list

Astonishment has turned to outrage this morning over the “gun victim list” being pandered by the “No More Names” bus tour ......

<broken link removed>

King5 did a story on the initiatives <broken link removed>

Yes, and it was a good, balanced story.
I was standing there when Amy and her camera guy were filming. On Monday morning, requests for more petitions were coming from eastern Washington, far away as Deer Park north of Spokane.

Bodies v. big bucks in background check battle with national implications

They came from across the state, from Bellingham to Vancouver, converging over the weekend on the Puyallup fairgrounds, to sign copies of Initiative 591 and get blanks to take back home, where they will have neighbors, friends and local gun shops fill up the sheets; a grassroots army stirred to action by the fear of Seattle-based big money buying away their gun rights.

<broken link removed>

I'm concerned that gun-rights proponents are actually circulating petitions in favor of NATIONAL universal background checks, as in this I 591 initiative. I understand that if enacted it will (temporarily) prohibit additional background checks in Washington state. However, it appears to state that the initiators are IN FAVOR of a national standard for universal background checks. I do not think that is the message intended.....

Aren't most gun-rights proponents in favor of NO background checks?

Since we already have national background check laws, this initiative would prohibit any additional requirement. It seems an initiative to pit the state against the feds would be another issue entirely.

Since we already have national background check laws, this initiative would prohibit any additional requirement. It seems an initiative to pit the state against the feds would be another issue entirely.

I don't think it would prohibit any add'l laws, just make it so our state laws are in line with them. Not sure that's a good idea if they pass more restrictive gun grabbing laws. Then WA will have to follow automatically.

I don't think it would prohibit any add'l laws, just make it so our state laws are in line with them. Not sure that's a good idea if they pass more restrictive gun grabbing laws. Then WA will have to follow automatically.

It's pretty hard to argue a 10th amendment violation, if your default position is codified to adhere to federal regulation.

Dialing up the wayback machine:

"... Thus, the Tenth Amendment prohibits the federal government from imposing costs on states through mandatory federal regulation such as the Brady Act. Congress may not place the states in the position of having to sacrifice state programs, which their electorate prefers, to fund a federal program. Moreover, the Tenth Amendment prevents Congress from shifting the brunt of unpopular federal regulations and policies to the states...."
<broken link removed>

Further thoughts:

" http://sos.wa.gov/_assets/elections/initiatives/FinalText_471.pdf
Initiative Measure No. 591 (filed May 23, 2013)

PROTECT OUR GUN RIGHTS

AN ACT Relating to protecting gun and other firearm rights; adding new sections to chapter 9.41 RCW; and creating new sections.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
NEW SECTION. Sec. 1. A new section is added to chapter 9.41 RCW to read as follows:
It is unlawful for any government agency to confiscate guns or other firearms from citizens without due process.

NEW SECTION. Sec. 2. A new section is added to chapter 9.41 RCW to read as follows:
It is unlawful for any government agency to require background checks on the recipient of a firearm unless a uniform national standard is required.

NEW SECTION. Sec. 3. The provisions of this act are to be liberally construed to effectuate the intent, policies, and purposes of this act.

NEW SECTION. Sec. 4. If any provision of this act or its application to any person or circumstance is held invalid, the remainder of the act or the application of the provision to other persons or circumstances is not affected.

NEW SECTION. Sec. 5. This act is known and may be cited as the "Protect Our Gun Rights Act."

--- END ---"

I'm inferring that the drafted intent of this initiative is to make sure that state law isn't made to be more stringent than existing federal law.

I think that if the language of I-591 was more generic with regards to respecting firearms law, rather than being solely focused on background checks, I could see passage of this being useful for an in-state challenge on RCW 9.41.190. Since the proposed section 1 assures a due process requirement, why not seek another 14th Amendment issue by requiring the state to abide by the 14th's Privileges or Immunities Clause?

By banning our possession of MGs/SBRs/SBSs, the state is retaining a right for itself and its agents despite federal law allowing for NFA ownership outside of the on-duty use and possession by LE and .mil personnel. We are even bordered by states whose citizens may enjoy those elements of the spectrum of rights, than we are being afforded by our own state law.

We can't prohibit additional federal laws unless we drop out of the USA and or assert state soverenity

Dave, I am concerned the state SC could overturn this law if we get it passed on the "More than one subject" aspect of the State Constitution regarding initiatives.. your thoughts?

We can't prohibit additional federal laws unless we drop out of the USA and or assert state soverenity

Dave, I am concerned the state SC could overturn this law if we get it passed on the "More than one subject" aspect of the State Constitution regarding initiatives.. your thoughts?

Blitz, according to the legal beagles, it's ONE subject: Gun control. I dunno how they sort this out, but I'm no attorney and I don't play one on Television

AND NOW SOME GOOD NEWS:

The Washington State Rifle & Pistol Association has thrown its support to the effort to put Initiative 591 before the state legislature in January, Examiner learned Friday morning, wrapping a week that has been brutal and embarrassing to the gun control crowd, from bad "gun study" karma for Barack Obama to bad press for Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn....

<broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads