JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A couple of you guys spotted the cornerstone of this a few days ago. Smart guys on NWFIREARMS...
:s0155:

Washington groups launch fight against gun control initiative

A coalition of some of the state’s firearms community leaders has launched a grassroots campaign to counter the well-financed gun control initiative backed by a Seattle-based gun control group, while also preventing firearms confiscation “by any government agency…without due process.”

<broken link removed>

Blitz, Duane, dmv:

Contact the CCRKBA office for copies of the petition so you can gather signatures. By far that is the most important thing you could do. They have to be valid signatures from registered voters.
The Protect Our Gun Rights group is in the process of setting up a website. I presume that will be up and running sometime within the next few days.

WATCH MY EXAMINER COLUMN FOR UPDATES to be posted as PART OF THIS THREAD. When I know something, you will know it too.

Duane, since you're down in the Southwest, tell all your gun pals, gun shop operators, anybody who will listen, about this and feel free to forward my screed to all of them so they understand what's up.

visit Washington Arms Collectors | Washingtons Largest Firearms & Gun Safety Organization and read Pres. John Rodabaugh's open letter to members.

And, if anybody has a spare $20 bill to toss into the kitty, I expect the POGR group would put that to good use.

I do not have time or plans to attend the WAC shows.

Where else can I directly or indirectly sign to get this initiative moving forward?

As noted in my column (which you can forward to one and all) petitions will be available from CCRKBA at

12500 N.E. Tenth Place
Bellevue, WA 98005

the POGR website should be up in a day or two...they're working on this now...and if you shoot me a PM with your mailing address, I can give that to the people who are doing all of this stuff and they'll mail you some petitions.

I would love to sign this petition. I got a summer job that requires my presence 24/6 and will require that I am gone from home and out of touch for much of the summer. On my rare day off I will keep an eye out for a place to sign the petition but i would rather figure out a way to sign it now then hope I get lucky during the summer.

I will check in from time to time and maybe someone will post where they are going to be booths setup to collect signatures so I can make sure I sign.

Keep up the good work Dave.

Good Job Dave!

BTW! this load of butt-hurt just arrived in my email:

GunnyG--

That was fast.

When we began working to get a simple criminal background check for gun purchases on the books here in Washington, we knew that Wayne LaPierre, the NRA's leadership, and their local affiliates were going to do everything they could to stop us. We knew they would scare folks and trick them into opposing a measure that a whopping 85% of gun owners support.

I just didn't realize it was going to be this soon.

Today, a bunch of gun lobbyists announced their own initiative (backed with an initial $400,000!) that would prevent simple criminal background checks here in Washington.

I need your help to fight the NRA -- click here to add your name endorsing criminal background checks for gun purchases in Washington!

So, that's it.

It's you versus the NRA.

And, just to be clear, they're not putting up a token fight. Their local affiliate told the press that our background checks initiative "is the Alamo" for them. They're going to fight us -- hard.

I don't think I've mentioned it to you, but I'm no big-city guy. I grew up in a small town, and have done my fair share of hunting over the years. Getting my hunter's safety card when I was a boy was a huge day for me. But whether you own a gun or not, I know you stand with me and the 8 out of 10 Washington voters who support simple criminal background checks for gun purchases.

The community needs to come together -- right now -- to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and to stop the NRA from torpedoing this commonsense step to make our state safer.

I need your help to fight the NRA -- click here to endorse criminal background checks for gun purchases in Washington!

Thanks for stepping up.

Talk to you soon,

Zach

Duane, since you're down in the Southwest, tell all your gun pals, gun shop operators, anybody who will listen, about this and feel free to forward my screed to all of them so they understand what's up.

And, if anybody has a spare $20 bill to toss into the kitty, I expect the POGR group would put that to good use.

Consider it done Dave. How do we donate ?

Good Job Dave!

BTW! this load of butt-hurt just arrived in my email:

Today, a bunch of gun lobbyists announced their own initiative (backed with an initial $400,000!) that would prevent simple criminal background checks here in Washington.

I need your help to fight the NRA -- click here to add your name endorsing criminal background checks for gun purchases in Washington!

This is a crock, and whoever this Zach is knows it or he is dumber than a post.

First and foremost, the NRA has not weighed in on this at all. Period. Zip, Zero, Nada.

Item No. 2: Who the heck said this would prevent background checks? That's a lie. I-591 &#8212; that the NRA didn't write, hasn't endorsed yet or even sent an alert to members about, so they're getting a bum rap on this &#8212; says this: "It is unlawful for any government agency to require background checks on the recipient of a firearm unless a uniform national standard is required."

That makes it perfectly clear nobody is opposing background checks, we're just saying they need to have a uniform national standard, which the gun control initiative does not, and they know this, too.

Please advise me off list who this guy is, because he takes the peanut gallery approach of attacking the NRA, and so far, they've got nothing to do with this effort.

TO WHICH I MIGHT ADD: We have background checks. The NICS system got the nod from the NRA 20 years ago. I know because I was on the NRA Board of Directors at the time. It's not NRA's fault the NICS system needs a fix.
The gun prohibition lobby claims the NICS system has stopped a couple of million bad guys from getting guns, which we all know is a lie because they got 'em somewhere else, but the bottom line is we have a NICS background check, that NRA supported 20 years ago.

But these people want to expand background checks and keep records. Even Alan Gottlieb's proposal in Olympia earlier this year said NO RECORD KEEPING and even sought to abolish the state pistol registry. THOSE conditions brought a screech from the anti-gunners. Now we have an initiative that simply says background checks must meet a uniform national standard. They need to be the same in Seattle as they are in Cincinnati. The proposal in that 15-page measure does not concur with the NICS requirements now, and they know it.

Gunny, many thanks!

Does anyone have a list of rules for initiative gatherers? Rules for setting up and what are the pro gun businesses we can work with? I will get together a team for the Lacey's Cabelas

Does anyone have a list of rules for initiative gatherers? Rules for setting up and what are the pro gun businesses we can work with? I will get together a team for the Lacey's Cabelas

Frequently Asked Questions about Circulating Initiative and Referendum Petitions

I will add this. Anyone gathering signatures should at all times be polite. Do not get in anyone's face, do not pursue anyone who does not agree to sign, do not engage in debates with someone who disagrees with what is in the very simple initiative. You're just there to gather signatures, answer simple questions and give people the opportunity to read the initiative..

In other words...DON'T give me an incident to write about, please.

Anyone who badgers you and tries to interfere with your signature gathering is in trouble. (Likewise, while it might be tempting, don't badger the paid signature gatherers the other side will be paying for if you run across them. They're being paid to do a job. They may not really give a rat's butt what the petition is all about.

The guys running this thing know how to debate. That's their job. The job of a signature gatherer is to win the war. :s0155:

Excellent advice Dave. Done this before, including the Cali State fair for CCRKBAs back in 1989. Have pics to prove it

For the gentle reader, you will never regret standing up and doing this, it will be a thing to regale your grandchildren with. If you are in the area please PM me

This is a crock, and whoever this Zach is knows it or he is dumber than a post....

Yeah, he knows what he's saying, and is playing to the intended audience.

First and foremost, the NRA has not weighed in on this at all. Period. Zip, Zero, Nada.

I'm pretty sure that this falls into Alinky's Rule #13: "Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it." Besides, the NRA is the bogeyman that the left scares their chldren with, at bed time.

... Please advise me off list who this guy is, because he takes the peanut gallery approach of attacking the NRA, and so far, they've got nothing to do with this effort.

...Gunny, many thanks!

Done, via PM.

That statement is incorrect. California SB 53 passed the Senate but it hasn't passed in the Assembly (yet) and it hasn't been signed into law (yet). Earliest it would go into effect if passed and signed would be Jan. 1, 2014 SB-53 Ammunition: purchase permits

Good catch.. I went in and corrected it with a link to an LA Times editorial from the other day that's a corker. Thx

Yeah, he knows what he's saying, and is playing to the intended audience.

I'm pretty sure that this falls into Alinky's Rule #13: "Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it." Besides, the NRA is the bogeyman that the left scares their chldren with, at bed time.

They're also trying to make their big money initiative sound like a small grass roots one. Attacking the local WA group doesn't work as well as saying the NRA is behind it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top