JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They (SF) did a dog and pony show for us once. Wanted (really really really wanted) to host a project for us - once they get their foot in the door then they have an in. My employer (much larger than SF) told them not thanks. Not sure if we use it elsewhere, but I more or less doubt it - we have NIH syndrome.

I to am a S/W dev and yes, it would take a lot to create something to compete with them - it is not something a single dev whip out in their off time. That said, there are probably OSS products that are alternatives that a dev could contribute time to - but big outfits like my employer don't go with OSS for stuff like that - they want someone they can turn to for support. It took years and years before they started using Tomcat as an alternative to Websphere.

Given my ignorance of this subject, can anyone provide a thumbnail sketch of SF's behind the scenes influence - in other words, what do they do?

And thanks.

My company uses SF because it tracks case status and the companies we contract with tend to be impatient busy bodies. I personally dislike it and find it not to be very user friendly. The mobile version is horrible.
Unfortunately, my boss's boss's boss's boss thinks we need it and I have no say in the matter.
They could do more to make the world a better place by improving their product than by blurting out empty threats.
It's sad that the corporate world forgot that they were built on spreadsheets. Just an observation.

"My company uses SF because it tracks case status"

What does that mean?
I'm an independent contractor that is dispatched by a large (to remain anonymous here) corporation that deals with many auto manufacturers. The projects I'm assigned vary in nature and could be with any number of manufacturers. All cases are assigned and then scheduling/progess status is updated through SF. Rather than deal with hundreds of "is it done yet?" phone calls from our clients, they just give specific case access to the manufacturer so that they can check at any time in SF.
It's extra busy work for me but it's all billable time. It sucks but I've gotten used to it. Saves my bosses unnecessary hassle.
I'm working in Puerto Rico right now and updating though SF's mobile version and it's truly horrible.

Camping World is supposed to start selling guns at several of their larger locations later this year. I'll bet Marcus Lemonis caves and doesn't follow through. Blah, who goes to Camping World to buy a gun anyway? :rolleyes:

It saddens me that politics is becoming more and more part of career choices, financing, and business descrimination. Even applications in the Portland area have included political questions now. And people are virtue signaling in their resumes to gain a job.

Ditto. I find it lamentable how everything has to be so politicized and contentious these days. I wish we could just live and let live and respect each other's liberties. I don't see that happening any time soon though.

Ditto. I find it lamentable how everything has to be so politicized and contentious these days. I wish we could just live and let live and respect each other's liberties. I don't see that happening any time soon though.
"We must picture Hell as a state where everyone is perpetually concerned about his own dignity and advancement, where everyone has a grievance, and where everyone lives the deadly serious passions of envy, self-importance, and resentment."

C. S. Lewis

Wonder if they would still be a $120B company if Walmart tells them to pound sand?

Walmart won't. Tell them to go pound sand. Not explicitly anyway.

Walmart doesn't sell guns because they are a big believer in gun rights, they sell guns because they think they can make $$$ doing it. They might choose to stop selling guns - depends on how much profit they get from guns and how much they might lose in business if they decided to stop selling guns. They too have signaled virtue with their gun policies. I suspect this would be their first choice.

They might choose to just ignore that clause - daring SF to sue them, knowing that WM can find and hire lawyers as good or better at contract and constitutional law as SF can, and that SF would be shooting themselves in the foot if they tried. I kind of doubt that will happen either way.

It would take some entity that sells guns, uses SF, has large revenues from guns, is well heeled enough to take them on it court, and is inclined to take them on.

I can't think of anybody off the top of my head that fits that description.

Walmart won't. Tell them to go pound sand. Not explicitly anyway.

Walmart doesn't sell guns because they are a big believer in gun rights, they sell guns because they think they can make $$$ doing it. They might choose to stop selling guns - depends on how much profit they get from guns and how much they might lose in business if they decided to stop selling guns. They too have signaled virtue with their gun policies. I suspect this would be their first choice.

They might choose to just ignore that clause - daring SF to sue them, knowing that WM can find and hire lawyers as good or better at contract and constitutional law as SF can, and that SF would be shooting themselves in the foot if they tried. I kind of doubt that will happen either way.

It would take some entity that sells guns, uses SF, has large revenues from guns, is well heeled enough to take them on it court, and is inclined to take them on.

I can't think of anybody off the top of my head that fits that description.

Never said WalMart was looking out for second amendment rights. When a vendor tries to tell the customer what they can and can't do they need to expect push back and lost sales. WalMart does care about profits, as you said above. Why would they tolerate paying someone who wants to force them to make fewer profits? I sure as hell wouldn't and I'd immediately start looking for their replacemant.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top