JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My husband's friend told him that on Monday, there were police at that Costco.

The police were called to that Costco in the morning when the store opened up.

Today on Tuesday, the regular Costco lady who knows my husband told him that there was a MESS there on Monday. Apparently, they had some out of town, rural Montana shoppers and WA and ID shoppers there early in the morning. They had HUGE carts or those flat bed carts of food and when they were TOLD that there were LIMITS on FOOD and other items - there was trouble. So the police were called in. The Costco lady said that she has never seen it with rural MT people, ID or WA people ACT like that and it was NOT so called in town people who did this.

TODAY, our Costco had Black Knight (?) and/or some other SECURITY PEOPLE working in and around that store in this college town. My husband saw them when he was there.

Holy moly on the Monday scene that his friend AND the Costco lady told him about.

Cate
PS: MY computer took this post before I was finished. Apologies to the forum.
What costco? Just curious. Mine is the one in portland off 138th, and we havent had anything like that happen. I figure my location would be the one this would happen at.
The last 4 days or so have actually been pretty mellow compared to a week ago. I think people are finally deciding to stay away unless needed minus the morning "panic" rush

Went to the bank today. Only three people ahead of me and properly spaced. While standing there my mind wandered. Thought about not being able to get any Costco TP. Thought about the "opportunity" to withdraw a large sum of single dollar bills. Then thought about the need for a new definition of "money laundering." The teller did not understand why I had a goofy grin on my face. I can't believe I am sharing this. :s0060:
the sheet of TP are probably worth more than the federal green paper.

I have to show this to my husband!

I think that this is the movie where the main man has a GERMAN SHEPHERD!

End of the world or some disease ridden city movie.

Cate

That is correct. The movie was called, "I Am Ledgend". It was done earlier starring Vincent Price, named , "The Last Man on Earth". There was also on made starring Charleston Heston, named, The Omega Man"

What costco? Just curious. Mine is the one in portland off 138th, and we havent had anything like that happen. I figure my location would be the one this would happen at.
The last 4 days or so have actually been pretty mellow compared to a week ago. I think people are finally deciding to stay away unless needed minus the morning "panic" rush

My husband just came home. The security company at Costco TODAY is called Black Knight. I just asked him if I understood him correctly. And they were out of ALL fresh potatoes NOT just the one kind of Idaho potatoes.

My husband knows this company too. NO, he never worked for them. We are retired too.

We only have one COSTCO here in this college town. Missoula.

I heard that BOZEMAN'S Costco was unreal LAST WEEK and that they were packed with some nasty and FED UP people too. It was on some Costco reviews and other online links. I did not read about it this week.

I do not know if anything happened at the Missoula Costco where the police had to be called in or NOT called in LAST WEEK or to any other store since my husband only went there for his medicine. Maybe nothing happened there last week - beats me! I only know what he told me TODAY about the BK Security Company, what the Costco clerk told him and what his friend told him.

My other post about how CRAZY - BUSY IT WAS even for that Rx medicine trip and parking is in this thread.

We do get a lot of OUT of state shoppers @ our Costco year round. Idaho people come here a LOT, no sales tax in MT, and we even get some from Lincoln County, Montana (NW MT) even though Kalispell is closer to them. The Idaho border is close to us here in Western Montana but I am not talking about the PANHANDLE of Idaho close to or next to NW MT. (Yaak area, etc.)

Our friend in NW MT close to Sandpoint sometimes goes to the CDA, Idaho Costco with his brother. He said that the last 2 weeks have been CRAZY there on and off. He has been there a couple of times but he usually shops right in Sandpoint or if he is out and about - he even comes down here for some things. BIG buys at Home Depot and other shopping trips. He lives in a rural very remote area.

We get a lot of rural MT shoppers too. Our ranching friends shop in this town and they live over towards Drummond. Seeley Lake is 55 miles one way from our home. Etc.

Cate

Last Edited:
My husband told me this just now too. He is next to me resting in his Lazy Boy chair after his 2 shopping trips. LOL

The nice Costco lady cashier who knows him said that IF there is a COSTCO LIMIT on any item saying if it is limited to ONE ITEM - the cash register will ONLY LET the cashier RING UP THAT ONE ITEM. IT will not let them over ride the system or ring up ANY LIMITED ITEMS that are being RATIONED/LIMITED. So that is programmed into the computer/cash register. HE did not have any issue with that but they did talk about it when she discussed those people who had the police called on them on Monday.

Costco was out of his favorite brand of wheat grain bread and he has one in the freezer for a back up. I replace that for him on a regular basis. He can use something else or I could make him something close to it.

He told me that the super Walmart off of Mullan Road - Reserve Street was out of these items in the early afternoon:

ALL pasta.

ALL canned beans and dried beans.

ALL Land of Lakes brand butter.

ALL cereal especially regular Quaker Oats original oatmeal cereal and Cream of Wheat original cereal.

They had one lonely box of some off brand of cereal and a couple of boxes of QO instant cereal.

ALL rice.

ALL canned soups - all of them!

ALL toilet paper.

ALL Ivory original soap and Kirk's Castile original soap. (I have extra on hand but I do replace this on a regular basis.) They did have Dr. Bronner's brand and I am fine there too.

ALL Bisquick.

Our vegetables - canned and frozen are fine. Tomatoes and tomato sauce. We make our own sauces, soups and stews.

Sometimes we buy some canned soups to have on hand for emergencies but we usually MAKE OUR OWN homemade soup!

We are fine in our pantry but he did go throughout some sections of the store to SEE what was what.

IT looked barren and hit hard in MANY sections for the early afternoon. He said that it was CROWDED too. There were NO signs of people acting CRAZY but it was VERY BUSY for that TIME of day and for a Tuesday.

MANY places are closed. Schools are closed. (We have a few more cases in this state with the virus too. I will NOT post all of that here or in that other long thread.)

That is the report.

My husband did not run all over the valley for his weekly or every 2 week shopping trip. He mainly went to those 2 stores since they are closer to home.

Take care!

Cate

Seems like WinCo here in hillsboro is back to normal. Guess people got what they needed.

Now us regulars can go shop without having to wait in lines. I'd still avoid peak hours.

FYI - there is usually a bakery local to large grocery stores.

Those bakeries usually have an outlet store where you can buy their bread/etc. for wholesale prices (often less than half what you pay in a grocery store).

Locally here, it is the Franz and Bimbo outlets - I go to the latter about once a month and get my favorites (unfortunately they stopped making the dense for of Honey Wheat Berry). I spend about $10 and get about 9-10 loaves of good dense bread and put it in my chest freezer.

Winco, NE 122nd, wasn't bad yesterday at 8:00 am. It's weird walking down the aisles and seeing pasta at about 10% full. Bulk beans were gone in most kinds. People don't seem to be thrilled with garbanzo's? Or Navy/Great Northern either? Frozen was CLOSED off. Was about 15 people filling the frozen section. No small pack burger, only those disgusting 10lb "Chubs". NO chuck steak/roast, some pork (injected crap all :s0170:). Produce seemed to have most everything. How these hoarders going to stay regular, eating nothing but rice, beans, and beef? And stave off scurvy?

Is a WINCO store like a Kroger grocery store?

I think that they want to build or put in a Winco store where the old Shopko store was in this town but I am not positive now.

Maybe they will just make the old, closed up Shopko store a Winco store. I remember reading something about this on the KECI website months ago.

Cate

I think that they want to build or put in a Winco store where the old Shopko store was in this town but I am not positive now.

Maybe they will just make the old, closed up Shopko store a Winco store. I remember reading something about this on the KECI website months ago.

Cate

I don't think it is like Kroger no - although I have not been in a Kroger in decades.

Winco is employee owned and run.

In my experience, they have the best balance of selection/quality and prices. I've been to a lot of grocery stores, and Winco has most of what I want most of the time. Some higher end stores have things Winco doesn't - e.g., ethnic foods - and Winco has a very plain ambience - shelves and product, whereas someplace like Whole Foods is more for yuppies who don't care that they are paying 50-100% for their food.

FYI - there is usually a bakery local to large grocery stores.

Those bakeries usually have an outlet store where you can buy their bread/etc. for wholesale prices (often less than half what you pay in a grocery store).

Locally here, it is the Franz and Bimbo outlets - I go to the latter about once a month and get my favorites (unfortunately they stopped making the dense for of Honey Wheat Berry). I spend about $10 and get about 9-10 loaves of good dense bread and put it in my chest freezer.

We used to have one of those bakery outlet stores here too. It was here when I first moved out west but it was not the ones that you mentioned.

My husband gets one or two kinds of dense bread. I think that it comes from WA or OR or at least one of them does. I could be wrong and he is napping now so I will not ask him.

Wheat Montana bread has turned bad and spoiled really FAST for one loaf of bread for us in the last couple of years. NO matter what we have tried and some of the wheat tastes funny and almost MOLDY. IT NEVER ever used to be like that and we stopped buying it. We may try it again down the road. I am not sure.

I get fresh bread when he comes home from the gym/pool and his early morning walks since it is on his way home. He runs in and gets it right out of the oven. French, Jewish rye or black bread.

My husband's grain or wheat or whatever it is called is good DENSE bread but not as dense as some old fashioned German or Nordic breads. It does have a good flavor and texture to it.

Cate

Cate

As Heretic says, but I'll add. Winco, I believe, charges a set percentage over their cost for product. They don't have sales. You will see a certain price on something one day, and different the next. I feel like I'm getting the best price they can afford to give me. They are almost always cheaper than Fred's and Albertway's. Sometimes HUGELY on things, makes me think they got a deal and simply pass on the savings.

As Heretic says, but I'll add. Winco, I believe, charges a set percentage over their cost for product. They don't have sales. You will see a certain price on something one day, and different the next. I feel like I'm getting the best price they can afford to give me. They are almost always cheaper than Fred's and Albertway's. Sometimes HUGELY on things, makes me think they got a deal and simply pass on the savings.
They also only do cash/debt. No credit cards.

The do have individual items on sale - they have a different colored price tag near the item. It is usually competitive with Costco on many items, sometimes less, sometimes a bit more. Ditto with Costco - I see items there I know are more than elsewhere.

The prices fluctuate and since I buy the same items most of the time, I know when the prices are better than usual.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top