JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Do we know for a fact that this particular 7.62 X 51 brass is actually heavier with less internal space?
Glad I don't have to dink around worrying about that stuff/caliber. :s0155:
No I really need to get some empty 308 brass and compare weight. I only have empty 7.62 at the moment.

Since this is your first time why not start off with a tried and true book load and then when you get some experience and a sold knowledge base you can make educated best guess experiments.
Good idea. I was trying to use up my 7.62 brass though because it's already primed and has pocket sealant on it, it's all ready to go and I have 100 casings of it ready to load.

Last Edited:
Good idea. I was trying to use up my 7.62 brass though because it's already primed and has pocket sealant on it, it's all ready to go and I have 100 casings of it ready to load.
So then get yourself The Hornady Handbook of reloading and go to the service rifle page and get you the powder and bullets of your liking and use your primed cases to make a load on. What you will have done is establish a benchmark so that as you develop your loads you can compair them better or worse than the benchmark.

So then get yourself The Hornady Handbook of reloading and go to the service rifle page and get you the powder and bullets of your liking and use your primed cases to make a load on. What you will have done is establish a benchmark so that as you develop your loads you can compair them better or worse than the benchmark.
Or better yet just go online and grab the info. there are plenty of guides from the powder manufacturers for this. Also, finding 308/762 recipes should be easy. It's an easy and versital round to reload for. If I was closer I would have offered on Page 1 as I have all the stuff need to load it with you.

To the OP: Your question made plenty of sense and Kudos to seeing what it takes before investing and going down the rabbit hole!

So after a good long while, now that reloading components are becoming available again. I am thinking about getting into reloading. But before I do I want I would like to see some of the equipment and possibly load up some primed 7.62 brass I have with some TTSX bullets I have. Does anyone in the area reload 308? And just to be clear since I am getting some weird responses. I am not asking to use your equipment just to load my own stuff. I am simply supplying my own stuff so I can learn before I invest..
Your request does not sound unreasonable to me like it does others. If you want to travel to Central Oregon I will be happy to walk you through the whole process. I have helped others get setup reloading and would be happy to give you a hand.

Or better yet just go online and grab the info. there are plenty of guides from the powder manufacturers for this. Also, finding 308/762 recipes should be easy. It's an easy and versital round to reload for. If I was closer I would have offered on Page 1 as I have all the stuff need to load it with you.

To the OP: Your question made plenty of sense and Kudos to seeing what it takes before investing and going down the rabbit hole!
Thanks, I really did not understand myself what was so confusing. If it reversed and I had all the stuff and knowledge I would gladly host someone and let them load out a few just to get the experience and see if it's for them. It's like buying a car without test driving it first 🤷🏻‍♂️. It's a big investment both in time and finances and I just wanna make sure it's for me.

First what you are asking is not out of the ordinary. But I would approach it by asking "Can someone near me teach me the hands on of reloading rifle ammo?"
And before you ask if 7.62 and 308 are interchangeable? we would need to know what you are shooting them from. Bolt action 308, or semi auto 7.62? There are loads and data that work fine in a 308, but may be outside the range for a semi.
As far as using primed brass, who made it? how well was it sized? how uniform is it? How was it prepped? etc...
As far as reducing loads 10% that is usually reducing from a max load. But some data only gives the max load. So if they only give one number reduce from that.
If I were teaching, you it would be from empty brass. That way you are learning to prep brass, adjust your dies, etc... You also need a lesson in reading data. And choosing data that goes with your desired resulting load.
What are you loading for? Moose hunting? 1000-yard competition? plinking with friends at the range? This will make a difference depending on what you want it to do.
I'm too far away to help, but good luck, you will find someone to help. DR

Your request does not sound unreasonable to me like it does others. If you want to travel to Central Oregon I will be happy to walk you through the whole process. I have helped others get setup reloading and would be happy to give you a hand.
Will see if I can work it out at some point. My youngings take up a lot of time, so it's hard to travel beyond the immediate area right now. But I greatly appreciate the offer. After this morning I was loosing a little faith in the NW Firearms reloading forum. Guess I caught the flak early on, but now I am getting the helpful posts I was hoping for rather than the sandpaper posts I was hoping to avoid, thanks again for the offer to help out.

First what you are asking is not out of the ordinary. But I would approach it by asking "Can someone near me teach me the hands on of reloading rifle ammo?"
And before you ask if 7.62 and 308 are interchangeable? we would need to know what you are shooting them from. Bolt action 308, or semi auto 7.62? There are loads and data that work fine in a 308, but may be outside the range for a semi.
As far as using primed brass, who made it? how well was it sized? how uniform is it? How was it prepped? etc...
As far as reducing loads 10% that is usually reducing from a max load. But some data only gives the max load. So if they only give one number reduce from that.
If I were teaching, you it would be from empty brass. That way you are learning to prep brass, adjust your dies, etc... You also need a lesson in reading data. And choosing data that goes with your desired resulting load.
What are you loading for? Moose hunting? 1000-yard competition? plinking with friends at the range? This will make a difference depending on what you want it to do.
I'm too far away to help, but good luck, you will find someone to help. DR
All makes sense! I just thought I would put it out there and then get into more details about what I am hoping to do with it and what rifle it will be used with once I found someone willing to lend a helping hand and their time, that way I didn't have to write a book of a post. Long story short it's for a precision built AR-10 with a Proof research barrel and all the trimmings. The rounds will be used for both hunting and precision shooting out to various distances.

Will see if I can work it out at some point. My youngings take up a lot of time, so it's hard to travel beyond the immediate area right now. But I greatly appreciate the offer. After this morning I was loosing a little faith in the NW Firearms reloading forum. Guess I caught the flak early on, but now I am getting the helpful posts I was hoping for rather than the sandpaper posts I was hoping to avoid, thanks again for the offer to help out.
Your welcome. I know it is a long trip and would kill a whole day.

Reloading isn't very hard but a little guidance when you are starting out goes a long way. Are you mainly interested in reloading Rifle ammunition? Plinking, hunting, target shooting? What kind of quantity a year are you thinking? What style press has caught your eye so far? Single stage, turret, progressive? I have a Dillon 650XL progressive that I bought ~30 years ago and have never regretted my choice. I reload all my rifle and pistol ammunition on it.

There are a lot of options and it depends on what your end goal and budget is.

Last Edited:
Exactly. @toddhastie , what you asked for was merely to look at and use the equipment. But nobody is going to want to turn the equipment over to someone who has never reloaded to use with his components. They would need to show you, then check out what you want to reload, then watch while you do it. That is, you needed a lesson in reloading. @Certaindeaf 's irreverent response actually meant "mu". Ask different question. The question as asked is impossible to answer. "Mu" is the most profound response you can get to a question. Your not asking the right question meant you got some frustrated responses initially. After the question was refined you started getting the answers you hoped for. It's not at all uncommon for people on the NWFA forum to start a thread by asking the wrong question. I've done it myself. It doesn't cause the heat death of the universe.

Last Edited:
All makes sense! I just thought I would put it out there and then get into more details about what I am hoping to do with it and what rifle it will be used with once I found someone willing to lend a helping hand and their time, that way I didn't have to write a book of a post. Long story short it's for a precision built AR-10 with a Proof research barrel and all the trimmings. The rounds will be used for both hunting and precision shooting out to various distances.
In a semi auto you are going to want to stick pretty close to factory loads at least until you have the basics down. You are going wo want to stay in the pressure curve that your upper is set for. Find a factory load that shoots well from your gun and try to duplicate that load, when you get that down, try to improve on that load to get max accuracy, and min deviation. When you get that down then branch out to experiment with heavy weight bullets.
Hunting rounds don't require the same precision as a precision target round. my hunting rounds only need to hit the vitals, my target round loose points for every bit I'm out of the center. but learning to prep all your brass the same way will help you with your precision rounds. Good luck, DR

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews