JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Merry Christmas all, I am finally going through 4 Jumbo 50 Cal ammo boxes full of 12 and 20 ga Steel loads. Some of them are in nearly new condition, and some of them may have been exposed to some rain while hunting. I am not worried about them not going off, because they are plastic, and have been stored in a dry place, but some of them have metal corrosion from rust on the exterior of the hibrass component of the hull.

Is there a good way for me to clean them up for longer term storage, because I now live inland, sold the duckboat long ago, and the duck dog is in retirement.

I'd go shoot clay pigeons with them in the woods, but they are 3 inch mags loaded with #2 and #1 steel, and I'm afraid they'd give me a sore shoulder after more than about a box full.

I was going to use a dry rag on them and then a very light rubdown with some wd 40 and then put them in pint size labeled ziploc bags with some of those desiccant packs that come in bottles of vitamins. I've got a lot of them too. Unfortunately, I have not got the original boxes on them, and I'll need about 10x for the 20 ga 3" and about 15 for the 12 ga 3" Maybe I'll hit the range after today, more than likely there will be some spent shell boxes in the garbage cans from folks trying out their new blasters.

It seemed like a good rainy day project for me, and I've been wanting to get a real inventory done on my supplies for a coons age.

I run with Kent 3" 1-1/2oz #2 shot for waterfowl and have had the same thing occur. Just take a Brillo pad or some fine steel wool to the bases and a VERY light coating of CLP on them (the bases) for storage.

I'd be a tad bit cautious of WD40 seeping into the primers via capillary attraction and killing them.

Last Edited:
Stomper, what is CLP?
MVIMG_20181225_131319.jpg

I do a lot of duck hunting I got a few shells like that .
Do what stomper said or just go shoot them.
Or find someone who can use them.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads