JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Pennsylvania coroner auctioning off guns used in suicides

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/10/3...-off-guns-used-in-suicides/?intcmp=latestnews

GREENSBURG, Pa. – A western Pennsylvania coroner is auctioning off about 100 guns used in suicides and accidental shooting deaths.

Corner Ken Bacha says the Nov. 8 surplus weapons sale is Westmoreland County government's first since his father was coroner in the 1980s.

He says state law requires local governments sell off unclaimed property. Proceeds will help fund county government.

Bacha's office took possession of the guns during death investigations. Family members had a year to get them back before they became county property. Some of the weapons have been in the county's hands for decades.
Bacha says guns were used in 34 of the 55 suicides in the county last year.

No weapons used in homicides are being auctioned off. They're kept in storage for use as evidence.

Interesting. Probably some pretty nice guns to be had. Any cop will tell you that occasionally some pretty nice guns, even family heirlooms are used.

Personally, it wouldn't bother me in the least to own say a beautiful Colt Python or a 1911 that was used for this. Make one helluva BBQ story, that's for sure. "Yeah, as far as I know when I got it it was only fired once and dropped once". :s0114:

What say the NWFA braintrust?

I think you can pick up TSA confiscated firearms in govt auctions as well. Hmm, apparently the Sheriff's Dept is holding the auction and you actually have to be there in person. Sort of a bummer. 8(

I have a hard time believing that anything decent is going to make it to the auction table. What a macabre collection to own though.

I have a hard time believing that anything decent is going to make it to the auction table. What a macabre collection to own though.

It is an inanimate object. It does not take on the soul of who was shot by it.
What would be a shame is for some nice collector piece to be lost from stupid
fears and misconceptions and worse from some LE latching on to the good
ones before they hit auction :)

If you could pick up some of those old break top revolvers for $30 a piece I'd go for it. Might even turn around and make a few bucks off of them. How exciting it is, is all about the price.

I guess I should have qualified that, not much to get excited enough about to arrange a purchase, shipping and transfer to Oregon :)

It is an inanimate object. It does not take on the soul of who was shot by it.
LOL Depends what you believe... plans for disposal of my sidearm at the time of my passing assuming my gal outlives me are to have a replacement set of grips made from my remains, so in a way I can carry on protecting her even from beyond--with a codicil in the will requiring that it and I be buried with her when she in turn passes.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top