JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
You know, I think this takes leadership from the top. The federal government isn't issuing any strong guidance re retirement facilities, nursing homes or the VA. Why should a state government have to step in and say we think we need to do more than suggested by the CDC? I think we're witnessing a failure from the top - for reasons I could articulate, but won't.
I agree partially, however - OHA isn't even following the CDC guidelines on testing people with symptoms.

You know, I think this takes leadership from the top. The federal government isn't issuing any strong guidance re retirement facilities, nursing homes or the VA. Why should a state government have to step in and say we think we need to do more than suggested by the CDC? I think we're witnessing a failure from the top - for reasons I could articulate, but won't.
I agree: the Fed isn't handling this well at all and is showing no real leadership.

But, we live in a system where the states have a lot of control over how a pandemic can be handled. Aaaaand they're failing. Looks to me like they're all cut from the same cloth.

I agree partially, however - OHA isn't even following the CDC guidelines on testing people with symptoms.

The reason for that's an unanswered question. Maybe, despite everything we've been told, they still don't have the needed capacity. Maybe they're trying to protect the economy. Maybe they just don't want to know. It's easy to clear up - but I just feel we're being "handled" at so many levels that the "handling" IS the problem, or at least is making it worse. It will be interesting to read about the history of this period 5 or 10 years from now.

The reason for that's an unanswered question. Maybe, despite everything we've been told, they still don't have the needed capacity. Maybe they're trying to protect the economy. Maybe they just don't want to know. It's easy to clear up - but I just feel we're being "handled" at so many levels that the "handling" IS the problem, or at least is making it worse. It will be interesting to read about the history of this period 5 or 10 years from now.
The message from the top is that local goverments need to make their own decisions based on their own situations. The feds have loosened the federal red tape on testing. Now it's up the States to take care of business. Half of the country will lay full blame at the top regardless, for obvious reasons.

The message from the top is that local goverments need to make their own decisions based on their own situations. The feds have loosened the federal red tape on testing. Now it's up the States to take care of business. Half of the country will lay full blame at the top regardless, for obvious reasons.

I don't think we look to the CDC for "you figure it out." Guidance as to threat vectors, and appropriate steps to protect the most vulnerable would go a long way toward protecting the vulnerable. Are state and local governments maybe looking for cover from the feds? Sure. But we expect the feds to have their big boy pants on - and for whatever reason, this lot doesn't.

I don't think we look to the CDC for "you figure it out." Guidance as to threat vectors, and appropriate steps to protect the most vulnerable would go a long way toward protecting the vulnerable. Are state and local governments maybe looking for cover from the feds? Sure. But we expect the feds to have their big boy pants on - and for whatever reason, this lot doesn't.

There's a lot to unpack here, starting with some misconception of what the CDC does, their mandate and their scope of responsibility.

Expecting the Federal government to "manage all things" is a bit misguided, take any individual agency or subject, the federal agency relies on help from the local/state counterparts to carry out the mandates.

The criticism was the CDC was being too strict with testing criteria so they took the gloves off and said test whomever you want.

They don't have the manpower to be everywhere nor do they have the authority.

The feds retasked all nursing home inspectors to focus on infection control.

The Feds should be focusing on preventing new cases from entering our country and cutting any more red tape that is slowing down development of treatment and vaccines. The Feds have provided guidance on who is most vulnerable. Now it's up to States and local governments to figure out how and to what degree we protect those populations.

We may want to have the discussions about how we triage and administer healthcare in the event our healthcare systems can't treat everbody.

Last Edited:
The Feds should be focusing on preventing new cases from entering our country and cutting any more red tape that is slowing down development of treatment and vaccines. The Feds have provided guidance on who is most vulnerable. Now it's up to States and local governments to figure out how and to what degree we protect those populations.

We may want to have the discussions about how we triage and administer healthcare in the event our healthcare systems can't treat everbody.

New cases aren't entering the country, they're already here - we have community transmission. And there's no red tape slowing down the development of either treatments or vaccines - it's called science, which requires a series of steps to make sure whatever is developed is safe and works. There was never, SFAIK, a vaccine developed for SARS 1, because the vaccine was worse than the disease.

New cases aren't entering the country, they're already here - we have community transmission. And there's no red tape slowing down the development of either treatments or vaccines - it's called science, which requires a series of steps to make sure whatever is developed is safe and works. There was never, SFAIK, a vaccine developed for SARS 1, because the vaccine was worse than the disease.

It wasn't developed because SARS went away.

Last Edited:

Well, I guess we'll see how this one is relatively soon.

Okey Dokey.

rumblings about this situation being the new nine eleven and erosion of our civil liberties which may happen in its response.

rumblings about this situation being the new nine eleven and erosion of our civil liberties which may happen in its response.
There was talk about Feds asking airlines to share data on where people are going and coming from. Not sure if that was discussed in White House meeting with airline execs or not.

Don't expect totalitarian regimes to report true numbers of cases. They feel that truth, any truth, erodes their control.

i wonder what date we will use in the future for "the day america died"?

_nc_ohc=-Jo4BLVtAH8AX-8_pT1&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

Status

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class