JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have no problem with that, I don't shoot my neighbors for being liberals, hell they have guns too. I don't have very many (2) where I live in the woods and we talk all the time but as soon as the conversation turns to politics or gun control we might as well draw on each other and nullify each others vote.....
Good on ya if you can tolerate being around those who will continue to help destroy the 2A by being ignorant and not listening to reason when told the truth about all the lies they are fed. I cannot.:rolleyes:
That holds true for more than the 2A. The entire Constitution is being eroded.

I am fine with hitting gun control orgs hard, because they are the ones lying their way to the ballot box. My concern is the direct contact with my neighbors, colleagues, soccer parents, children's classmates' parents, etc. People with who I can have a reasonable conversation and people who see me as a person first, and only then as a gun owner.

How is becoming a member of the NRA going to change any of this? Becoming an NRA member isn't going to make you start kicking children, raping puppies or murdering people. It only means that you care enough about your god given and constitutional right, that you're willing to stand with like minded individuals and fight to keep said right.

You know, those people you're concerned with impressing, won't even notice the difference in you after you've joined, unless of course, you tell them. Just sign up all ready.

Ray

How is becoming a member of the NRA going to change any of this? Becoming an NRA member isn't going to make you start kicking children, raping puppies or murdering people. It only means that you care enough about your god given and constitutional right, that you're willing to stand with like minded individuals and fight to keep said right.

You know, those people you're concerned with impressing, won't even notice the difference in you after you've joined, unless of course, you tell them. Just sign up all ready.

Ray

Unless they check your mailbox, or you put a sticker on your car.

Regardless of your politics - it's $25 a year to be a member right now.

That's cheap insurance to bet that they will do something good with it to protect your gun rights...

End of discussion.

No, you are not a bad person, you are a pizzed person and that's understandable. I am still trying to advocate productive work that gets middle of the road people on our side. Extremism leads to isolation and I would hate if it got the public pendulum to swing so far that the 2nd could be repealed.

Won't work, Pal. Compromise is what got us into this unenviable position!

Don't be an either/or guy. Be a YES/AND guy. More gun organizations are better.
Strength in numbers is the only thing that rules in America anymore. The rule of law is compromised.
Know that.

Hello all,

I am contemplating becoming an NRA member - not a big deal for a gun owner, right? It's a little bit of a deal for me, because I don't always agree with the politics and hard-nose tactics. I realize that a lot of it is a reaction to the increased pressures by the gun control movement, but I wish at times a more conciliatory tone was struck.

I do want to support the NRA as it is the best chance to preserve the 2nd Amendment.

What is your take?

Thanks

Part of the problem is we got to where we were with gun bans and all the crap is because the NRA was more conciliatory and compromising.

It was a slippery slope. And once they saw it, they got hard nosed, as they should have been from day one. And yet not as hard nosed as some other organizations or as much as some of their own members want.

I would say, as far as joining, either go with the basic annual or get a discounted life membership but put more money and effort into some of the more activist organizations. It was interesting how much more the politicos listened when the NRA had over 6 million members. But they seem to be more interested in milking the cow than making a real impact.

elsie

Here's a thought to all the people who want to stop violence in the inner cities,etc. do a house to house search and clear them like Fallujah and confiscate any guns not properly registered or where the owner is a felon. The local Leo's should do this as part of their DOJ community outreach.
But we all know those are not the guns they really want. 20 years ago for the most part I thought our govt at least attempted to keep the best interests of the people in mind. Now,they clearly don't.

Brutus out

Here's a thought to all the people who want to stop violence in the inner cities,etc. do a house to house search and clear them like Fallujah and confiscate any guns not properly registered or where the owner is a felon. The local Leo's should do this as part of their DOJ community outreach.
But we all know those are not the guns they really want. 20 years ago for the most part I thought our govt at least attempted to keep the best interests of the people in mind. Now,they clearly don't.

Brutus out
I actually spoke to few cops about that. They can't even frisk someone if they know he is in possession of a gun illegally, unless they have another reason to detain that person. Welcome to the 4th.

I actually spoke to few cops about that. They can't even frisk someone if they know he is in possession of a gun illegally, unless they have another reason to detain that person. Welcome to the 4th.

I have no idea what you're talking about here... when you say they "if they know" I assume you mean they at least have probable cause - 51% likely. You should really talk to more knowledgable Police Officers.

I have no idea what you're talking about here... when you say they "if they know" I assume you mean they at least have probable cause - 51% likely. You should really talk to more knowledgable Police Officers.
In this case "known" drug dealers that typically carry for protection. Unless you witness them transacting a sale, or doing something else illegally, you cannot go and frisk/search them based on your hunch/experience ...

Blah, blah. Let's have a long drawn out discussion about spending $25 dollars for a cause I agree with but not 100% with the organization who is doing the fighting. $25 whole dollars!

You're not marrying the NRA, but you're recognizing they are fighting for us all. Seems like an easy decision, especially when the cost of admission is less than a good dinner for one.

Blah, blah. Let's have a long drawn out discussion about spending $25 dollars for a cause I agree with but not 100% with the organization who is doing the fighting. $25 whole dollars!

You're not marrying the NRA, but you're recognizing they are fighting for us all. Seems like an easy decision, especially when the cost of admission is less than a good dinner for one.
The original has spawned a little into sub-blah blahs but that is quite alright. The OP was not out of financial concern ;-)

The original has spawned a little into sub-blah blahs but that is quite alright. The OP was not out of financial concern ;-)
Join the NRA. Will you get junk mail? Yes! Will you tire of their lifelock and wine club offers? Yes! Is there a way to turn that off? Probably. Do they do good work overall? Yes! :)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top