JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all,

I am contemplating becoming an NRA member - not a big deal for a gun owner, right? It's a little bit of a deal for me, because I don't always agree with the politics and hard-nose tactics. I realize that a lot of it is a reaction to the increased pressures by the gun control movement, but I wish at times a more conciliatory tone was struck.

I do want to support the NRA as it is the best chance to preserve the 2nd Amendment.

What is your take?

Thanks

Last Edited:
If qualms with the NRA, then join the Gun Owners of America and the Second Amendment Foundation instead. Or join the JPFO. Don't forget your local statewide Second Amendment defender organization. e.g. Oregon Firearms Federation in my case as an Oregonian. I joined them all along with the equivalent for neighboring states such as Idaho, California (Calguns.net and the Calguns Foundation, California Rifle and Pistol Association). since I promote the vote with your feet strategic relocation American Redoubt movement, I also joined the equivalent for fellow American Redoubt states of Montana and Wyoming. Molon Labe. Keep your powder dry.

They are the biggest Organization in the country fighting for gun rights and they have the numbers the politicians pay attention to. Building them up to an even bigger organization makes Washington sit up and take notice.
Definitely do join them.
I am a life member and even I don't agree with them all the time, but there is no better National Organization.
We must make their numbers grow even more.
Also if you become a life member you can vote for who sits on the board and who runs the NRA and nominate as well.
ALSO join the local State Lobby group and support them to the max. They do the heavy lifting in state.
I also support GOA, USCCA, OFF and OSSA (life member)

If qualms with the NRA, then join the Gun Owners of America and the Second Amendment Foundation instead. Or join the JPFO. Don't forget your local statewide Second Amendment defender organization. e.g. Oregon Firearms Federation in my case as an Oregonian. I joined them all along with the equivalent for neighboring states such as Idaho, California (Calguns.net and the Calguns Foundation, California Rifle and Pistol Association). since I promote the vote with your feet strategic relocation American Redoubt movement, I also joined the equivalent for fellow American Redoubt states of Montana and Wyoming. Molon Labe. Keep your powder dry.
Thanks. Yes I am a SAF member.

They are the biggest Organization in the country fighting for gun rights and they have the numbers the politicians pay attention to. Building them up to an even bigger organization makes Washington sit up and take notice.
Definitely do join them.
I am a life member and even I don't agree with them all the time, but there is no better National Organization.
Also if you become a life member you can vote for who sits on the board and who runs the NRA and nominate as well.
ALSO join the local State Lobby group and support them to the max. They do the heavy lifting in state.
thanks for the voting information.... I did compute that I would need to turn 100 to amortize the difference in member dues ;-)

Montana Shooting Sports Association
www.mtssa.org

Idaho State Rifle and Pistol Association - they send you a cool clothing patch with their logo when you join.
http://idahosrpa.org

Your question inspired me to join them the Washington State Defenders of the Second Amendment as well:
Washington State Rifle and Pistol Association
<broken link removed>
I just paid online for 1 year membership. It is only $15.

www.mtssa.org

Idaho State Rifle and Pistol Association - they send you a cool clothing patch with their logo when you join.

Your question inspired me to join them the Washington State Defenders of the Second Amendment as well:
<broken link removed>
I'll check them out. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I too am an NRA Lifer. Hope to save up to send the same lifer money to the GOA rather than just renewing yearly. http://www.oregonfirearms.org/join -- for those of us in Oregon, these folks are great at OFF. Plus you get a great patch and for $100 donation a great cap. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425450979.603071.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425451003.244727.jpg

www.mtssa.org

<broken link removed>
Done.

Definitely do join them.
I think the biggest gripe in recent history - apart from the fact that the NRA supported both the NFA and GCA ;-) - is how they reacted to Sandy Hook. I don't mind the idea behind "what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun", but I thought it was cold and insensitive at that moment. I actually agreed with the message but did not like the delivery - if that makes any sense.

NRA life member here. I too don't always agree with their positions, the candidates they back or how they go about certain things. But I can't point to really any organization or business I agree with 100%. The fact still remains that when it comes to political influence on a national level, especially in Washington DC, you just can't beat the NRA for defending 2nd amendment rights. They have the ear of more politicians in Washington when it comes to gun rights than anyone else.

That doesn't mean, however, that you shouldn't also support the other organizations mentioned above. I'm also OFF and SAF myself.

If it were not for the NRA over the last hundred years there would be no 2nd Amendment today.
That is a straight up fact. Those that belittle the organization today in my opinion are no friend of the 2nd and , or are completely ignorant of what the NRA is.
I may not agree with all things they do but I support them 100% and have since the mid 50's, and will until my last day.
From my cold dead hands means more than just a saying on the wall. Semper fi forever.

That is a straight up fact.
what? ...... thats no fact, only how you present it....

if there wasnt the NRA there would have been some one else....and that seems to be happening, other groups growing in numbers because they arent happy with the NRA tactics....or lack of

& if we dont think like you do we are no friend of the 2nd Amendment....your heads is tucked pretty far isnt it...

edit: that's a rhetorical statement by the way

If there weren't so many gun hating politicians elected by gun loving citizens then why would we need ANY organizations to fight for our 2A rights?
If you don't join an org. or do anything then ya can't complain.
Call or write your local, state & federal representatives about what will happen if they impead your 2A rights (mention Recalls).
But do something!!!

No love for the NRA here. As mentioned, if you want to get into activism, there are better organizations. I'm not an extremist type (I'm just completely apolitical/apathetic), but I could never support an organization that supposedly exists to defend a constitutional right which orchestrates compromises of that right. That's just betarded.

Hello all,

I am contemplating becoming an NRA member - not a big deal for a gun owner, right? It's a little bit of a deal for me, because I don't always agree with the politics and hard-nose tactics. I realize that a lot of it is a reaction to the increased pressures by the gun control movement, but I wish at times a more conciliatory tone was struck.

I do want to support the NRA as it is the best chance to preserve the 2nd Amendment.

What is your take?

Thanks

Conciliatory tone? Are you serious? Do you think the left / ATF are using a conciliatory tone about going after our rights? Absolutely not... they keep chipping away, slowly but surely, any way they can. They are not interested in "compromise".

I don't love everything the NRA does, but we would be way worse off without them. The smaller organizations are great but they don't have the political muscle or pull that the NRA does. Liberals absolutely HATE the NRA; that means they're doing something right.

This is a great illustration of where a conciliatory tone gets you, enough of that BS:

Illustrated-Guide-To-Gun-Control.png

Conciliatory tone? Are you serious? Do you think the left / ATF are using a conciliatory tone about going after our rights? Absolutely not... they keep chipping away, slowly but surely, any way they can. They are not interested in "compromise".

I don't love everything the NRA does, but we would be way worse off without them. The smaller organizations are great but they don't have the political muscle or pull that the NRA does. Liberals absolutely HATE the NRA; that means they're doing something right.

This is a great illustration of where a conciliatory tone gets you, enough of that BS:

View attachment 214735
Let me say, I know quite a few "liberals" that are gun owners, so I would not draw the lines there. I already acknowledged that constant anti-gun pressure is part of the more aggressive stance, however, I still believe the NRA can do a better job in being more inclusive, less political. Many anti-gunners act out of fear, often times unreasonable fear (as in hoplophobia). Education can mitigate that fear to a level where tolerance kicks in. If you want a strategic project: lobby for gun safety classes at schools. That's just one example. I do agree that for radical anti-gunners there is little hope for compromise, they have a zero gun agenda long term, but many anti-NRA people are not radical anti-gunners.

Let me say, I know quite a few "liberals" that are gun owners, so I would not draw the lines there. I already acknowledged that constant anti-gun pressure is part of the more aggressive stance, however, I still believe the NRA can do a better job in being more inclusive, less political. Many anti-gunners act out of fear, often times unreasonable fear (as in hoplophobia). Education can mitigate that fear to a level where tolerance kicks in. If you want a strategic project: lobby for gun safety classes at schools. That's just one example. I do agree that for radical anti-gunners there is little hope for compromise, they have a zero gun agenda long term, but many anti-NRA people are not radical anti-gunners.

I never said there are not liberal gun owners, sure there are. Most of those same liberal gun owners are the ones that advocate for "common sense" things like assault weapons bans, "high capacity" magazine bans, universal background checks, etc. They are the ones who tilt any poll on the number of gun owners that favor such things. I do not consider them to be gun owners in the true sense of the term, despite the fact that they may physically possess a firearm or two.

Education and inclusiveness is great, really warm and fuzzy and all, but we are losing our rights in the *politicial* arena. The NRA needs to be as political as possible to protect our rights. Period. Anything else is extra and I would rather the money go towards kicking in some teeth via the courts than education and inclusiveness.

By the way, I have taken many new shooters / friends / family to the range over the years, including some super liberal ones. Guess what? They still voted for Obama and his pen and his phone are raping us right now. No more compromise. Not one more inch.

I never said there are not liberal gun owners, sure there are. Most of those same liberal gun owners are the ones that advocate for "common sense" things like assault weapons bans, "high capacity" magazine bans, universal background checks, etc. They are the ones who tilt any poll on the number of gun owners that favor such things. I do not consider them to be gun owners in the true sense of the term, despite the fact that they may physically possess a firearm or two.

Education and inclusiveness is great, really warm and fuzzy and all, but we are losing our rights in the *politicial* arena. The NRA needs to be as political as possible to protect our rights. Period. Anything else is extra and I would rather the money go towards kicking in some teeth via the courts than education and inclusiveness.

By the way, I have taken many new shooters / friends / family to the range over the years, including some super liberal ones. Guess what? They still voted for Obama and his pen and his phone are raping us right now. No more compromise. Not one more inch.
So here is a blog from a "liberal" gun owner. Probably the smartest I have read on the topic of "assault weapons ban", which as you know, is a misnomer. Assault weapons is what the Swiss have in their homes, not Armalite Rifles as in ours. Any rate, if you have time, it's worth reading.

https://kontradictions.wordpress.co...ew-the-assault-weapons-ban-well-ill-tell-you/

Very well spoken AJ. That is one of the very best pro-right illustrations-pix-memes I have ever seen. Thank you for posting that. I just retweeted it along with the famous Berry Goldwater quote:

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."

<broken link removed>

View attachment 214735

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top