JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Going to the Trans-siberian orchestra concert a week ago got me thinking. We traveled on Max from Gresham to the Rose Quarter and thought it might be a good idea to carry my concealed piece but then I thought what if there are metal detectors at the concert, which there were. I'd be there with a piece and no where to store it. So I did not bring it. I thought there were very few places, such as a court house, where weapons are prohibited. Can the Rose Quarter prevent concealed firearms being brought in, i mean obviously they did. But what if all businesses decided to install detectors? Are we as concealed carry permitees banned from these places?

I was wanded down once at the Veteran's Coliseum. I was carrying my compact 45. I didn't realize they were wanding people for the venue so I figured that if the thing beeped then I would just go and stick it in the car. So they pull me aside and make me outrstretch my arms. The guy finds my keys, cell phone, wallet. He gets the wand right over the 45 and nothing. He says have a nice day and sends me along. Makes you feel confident.
Either don't carry there or have a back up plan. If you know someone who went ahead of you, ask them what the situation is before you go. It's their rules and usually they don't care if you have a permit.

I thought there were very few places, such as a court house, where weapons are prohibited. Can the Rose Quarter prevent concealed firearms being brought in, i mean obviously they did. But what if all businesses decided to install detectors?
Courts, post offices, etc is by law. Private businesses can say "No Guns" if they want to, but few can afford metal detectors and such to enforce it.

Posession of a weapon in a prohibited place can get you arrested. A private business can just ask you to leave.

Courts, post offices, etc is by law. Private businesses can say "No Guns" if they want to, but few can afford metal detectors and such to enforce it.

Posession of a weapon in a prohibited place can get you arrested. A private business can just ask you to leave.

What sucks is a private organization can rent a publicly owned venue and make the rules.

As an interesting aside, even though Oregon is a Stand Your Ground State by legal precedence you may lose SYG and have a "Duty to Retreat" if you are carrying in a signed no gun zone.

Last Edited:
I was wanded down once at the Veteran's Coliseum. I was carrying my compact 45. I didn't realize they were wanding people for the venue so I figured that if the thing beeped then I would just go and stick it in the car. So they pull me aside and make me outrstretch my arms. The guy finds my keys, cell phone, wallet. He gets the wand right over the 45 and nothing. He says have a nice day and sends me along. Makes you feel confident.
Either don't carry there or have a back up plan. If you know someone who went ahead of you, ask them what the situation is before you go. It's their rules and usually they don't care if you have a permit.
I had a similar experience at the Roseland Theater, except I set off the metal detector on walk through but they missed my firearm on the pat down...:s0002:

They did find my Leatherman, but let me keep it even though they were confiscating other knives. It probably helped that I was wearing a dress shirt and slacks in a crowd of punk rockers predominantly wearing leather and chains. Sometimes profiling works in your favor... :p

I had a similar experience at the Roseland Theater, except I set off the metal detector on walk through but they missed my firearm on the pat down...:s0002:

They did find my Leatherman, but let me keep it even though they were confiscating other knives. It probably helped that I was wearing a dress shirt and slacks in a crowd of punk rockers predominantly wearing leather and chains. Sometimes profiling works in your favor... :p
Had this happen at an amusement park back east, tripped the walk through metal detector, lifted my shirt exposing a reasonably sized brass buckle, they waived me through...

Years ago I went to a monster truck show at the memorial coliseum (right next to rose quarter). I was packing so I decided to check it in. I don't remember if there were metal detectors, I wanna say there weren't any.

Anyway, so I was being nice and responsible and I decided to respect the private property and check my pistol in with the security.

I ended up locking it up in a locker. The Securitas security guy was a very rude jerk. I'd use other words but I have to be clean in here.

After that, I never went back. I decided a long time ago that I will not support them with my dollars. Most businesses that are against folks legally carrying, I do my best to not support them.

Sure I'd love to go see a game and have a good night out, but I also know there are a lot of degenerates out in Portland. Ride the max to the rose garden, get off at that max stop and tell me it doesn't look hood out there. All the pant saggers, the grungy EMOs, the oh so confused.... give me give me folks, got change? Got a cig?..... I mean it's enough to make you want to vomit and make you wonder to yourself why you left the house.

I work at a hospital. It's open to the public but it's private property and we are a "violence" free zone hahahahahaha. So unfortunately they, much like other private property businesses/owners etc. can make whatever policy they want. A movie theater is open to public but it's private so They can ask/tell you not to bring weapons on property.

If there are no metal detectors, I would say use your best judgement. Keep things covered and go about your business. If they find out and ask you to leave, leave.

Yeah I get it, people have to live their lives. People want to go to shows and have fun..... Rodger that, but I have chosen to avoid attending places that crap all over my rights. If my friends, family, or significant other has an issue with me not attending, that's their problem. I know where I stand and I will not disarm myself for a private business.

I went to the Moda Center last Sunday for a Winterhawks game. I left my CC piece in the Jeep. Bag/purse checks, metal detectors, wands, etc......they took a fold up wine corkscrew from my wife's keychain. "No weapons". :rolleyes:

E

Back in the eighties my ex and I went to PDX to pick up my sister. In those days one could await arriving flights at the gate. Just walk through the security checkpoint and head to the gate. I was first through the metal machine, with an empty SOB holster for my Star PD (Left in truck). Next up my ex triggers and produces a mag full of flying ashtrays I had her slip in her purse as we left the house. Security (real cops then) gave us both another once over, I showed them the empty holster and my CCW and all was good. I picked up the mag at the security office on our way out the terminal. No big deal. The ex had a pucker moment though. I still chuckle about it. :rolleyes:

I went to a Blazer game a few years back with a larger benchmade folder. I set off the metal detector and showed them the knife, they thought for a half a second and let me keep it and take it in with me. I was surprised.

But I have turned down going to the moda center and like places because I can't carry. I wanted to take my daughter to Disney, but didn't want to go in that cesspool with out carrying.

If we do go, I pay the extra rape fee for parking in the moda garage.

The acceptance of being wanded isn't something I'll meekly go along with. I don't voluntarily go where such things are done.

As a previous poster noted: If I'm licensed to carry, (I am) but an entity (most especially a private one) has decided they can over ride my licensed status and effectively treat me like a criminal, no problem.

I'll choose not to attend that concert, convention or what have you. There are almost, but not quite zero places I 'have to submit' to being wanded and/or disarmed.

How's that?

Simple, my money stays in my pocket.

Some say but, but, I wanna go to the (fill in the blank) but to do so, I have to grovel and allow myself to be disarmed.

Not me. I can live without attending and spending...my money, my business whereI spend it.

My neighbor has recently retired from managing the Portland Expo Center and he told me that after Mexican fiesta concerts the maintenance people would find all sorts of weapons ditched in the planters and other places near the security entrances.
Switch blades, prison shanks and chains.

I was wanded down once at the Veteran's Coliseum. I was carrying my compact 45. I didn't realize they were wanding people for the venue so I figured that if the thing beeped then I would just go and stick it in the car. So they pull me aside and make me outrstretch my arms. The guy finds my keys, cell phone, wallet. He gets the wand right over the 45 and nothing. He says have a nice day and sends me along.

It must be one of those evil guns with a plastic polymer frame. According to several movies and television shows I have seen they won't set off a metal detector or show up on an x-ray machine. That's why they are favored by terrorists. :p

The last big venue I went to was Nine Inch Nails at the Rose Garden. I was wanded but didn't have my CHL back then, so it didn't matter.
I enjoy people, I love music, but no longer do I care to be packed into a space to wear ear plugs and experience someone performing. I will NOT support any professional sports event.
Small cafe or bar with friends, an unknown performer, and I'm a happy man.
I find it inconvenient enough that I feel the need to make sure I'm wearing proper clothes to not reveal my OWB when I'm out in public.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews