JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What sucks is a private organization can rent a publicly owned venue and make the rules.

I don't think it is that way at all. I think it is still the Rose Quarter/Rose Garden/MODA Center (et al) who still do the security. It is their insurance for the building, security of patron's etc. The renters just rent the space.

It must be one of those evil guns with a plastic polymer frame. According to several movies and television shows I have seen they won't set off a metal detector or show up on an x-ray machine. That's why they are favored by terrorists. :p
It's a Kahr CW45. Polymer frame but steel slide. If the wand can pick up my car keys it should have picked up that.

I don't think it is that way at all. I think it is still the Rose Quarter/Rose Garden/MODA Center (et al) who still do the security. It is their insurance for the building, security of patron's etc. The renters just rent the space.

In wasn't referring to that venue specifically, just in general. The leaser of a public venue can restrict firearms for the duration of their lease. The leaser of any property can make their own rules.

That might not be so true. I am sure the building owner has their own contract for any leaser to sign. I am guessing in the case of anyone renting the building there are specific do's and don'ts. I would guess the security screening is done by the building/land owner. What happens inside is up to the leasing party.

A couple of years ago the wife and I went to see Def Leppard at the Tacoma Dome. I checked ahead and the venue clearly stated no firearms. Ended up leaving the CCW locked up in the safe. I did get flagged upon concert entry for carrying a wee little NRA pocket knife and lost it forever. I bit my tongue and did not comment to "security" that it was only good for cutting string and cleaning fingernails. Wish I could say that the concert got better after that. It didn't :confused:

Did a quick search here and didn't find anything really concrete.

Will I be scanned and/or wanded entering a Blazers game at Moda Center? What happens there if it is discovered that someone is sporting an otherwise legally concealed pistol?

Even if I'm just turned away for a moment to come back without it, I'm not keen on stepping out to lock a pistol in a "rolling gunsafe" with 6 glass windows.

The real conundrum, then, becomes my willingness (or not) to stroll around unarmed in a progressively violent/liberal/cop-hating city.

Will I be scanned and/or wanded entering a Blazers game at Moda Center? What happens there if it is discovered that someone is sporting an otherwise legally concealed pistol?

Even if I'm just turned away for a moment to come back without it, I'm not keen on stepping out to lock a pistol in a "rolling gunsafe" with 6 glass windows.

The real conundrum, then, becomes my willingness (or not) to stroll around unarmed in a progressively violent/liberal/cop-hating city.
The rose garden/moda hasn't allowed CHL's in over 20 years. Even off duty law enforcement is prohibited from carrying on premises.

Last time in went to the MODA center there is metal detectors and inspection "stations" (to inspect your bag/purse). *I don't believe backpacks are allowed.

As for "what if" you are stopped.... they won't let you in with a firearm. Period.

I agree with you on wandering downtown unarmed..... especially when the scum know everyone coming/going is unarmed.

I went to a Winterhawks game about 5 years ago and had to run back to my car to stash my LCP then run back in to rejoin my family (who don't know I carry). That was the last time I went to the Rose Garden/Moda! They didn't have any security to protect me and my daughter from being mugged on our way back to the car after the game and they made me remove my primary form of protection. Forget that! I have no interest in ever going back there for anything!

Basically the Rose Garden is serving up 20,000 would be victims who are guaranteed to have no weapons to defend themselves but very likely to have cash on them to any Portland street trash that needs a fix! No wonder the crime rate in Portland is so high!

My first level of self defense is to simply avoid unsafe situations. For me the Rose Garden / Moda center definitely falls under this category!

Last Edited:

Everyone goes thru a metal detector. Bags checked. You definitely won't get in with your heater. I get a cab all the way to the front doors and take one from the front doors out of the area now.

You can buy Non-metallic push knives or letter openers. Don't wear a red hat or American flag clothing. Try to blend in with the sheep.

The last time my wife and I had to go through an x-ray security check point the 60 year old urban cowboy guard was convinced that the her lip gloss was pepper spray.

6 inch length of medical surgiical tubing.
Metal pinch valve or catheter fitting on the end.
Fill the tubing with apple juice and tuck under your belt line near the metal buckle.

Detector beeps.....
"Oh Damn not again, it's my catheter. You can feel it right under here..well go ahead ".

Last Edited:

Blazers game you'll get wanded…. I've carried in the Moda Center several times, it depends on who's running the venue…. But haven't ventured there in at least 4+ years…

Last Edited:
What sucks is a private organization can rent a publicly owned venue and make the rules.
I hate the idea, but it makes sense. If the private organization rents a public venue and a mass shooting happens it's the private organization that will get sued by victims and their families

4 year old thread got resurrected, and nothings changed. Sadly if you want to enjoy downtown venues there's just no way to know if you can carry, IME its been a 1 in 10 odds you can... just leave the gun at home and take your chances on the low statistics you'd ever actually need it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top