JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Benton County, OR
Applied: March 27
Received: Not yet. 8 weeks and counting. Apparently there is only one person working part time for the county to process all applications and renewals.

ETA: Received May 25, 58 days

Clackamas County.

Made appoipment last Thursday the 17th for the 22nd. it only took 15 minutes. She took my photo and fingerprints, then issued my permit. Much easier than I was anticipating.

Benton County, OR
Applied: March 27
Received: Not yet. 8 weeks and counting. Apparently there is only one person working part time for the county to process all applications and renewals.

ETA: Received May 25, 58 days

Man, that sucks! I been watching this thread since I submitted my app for new posts hoping to see some about Benton Co. Not so sure I'm glad I had.

Applied: May 1st
WAS hoping to see it next week(45 days). How do they get away with NOT getting it to you in 45 days, which they are required to do by law??
Has anyone complained?? Or, is it sort of like biting the hand that feeds?? That's stupid!! I don't care who's processing them or if they're part time or full time, the law is the LAW! WE have to follow it! You think they'll give us an extra few weeks leeway on the appeal when they deny us? Doubt it!

Man, I was all set, ready to get it next week, after weeks and days waiting, checking the mail every day! :complain: :gun09:

**UPDATE-
6/15/2012- Day 45- Still Nothing!!!:angry:

***EDIT- Final Update!
Showed up today, 6/28. Submitted 5/1. 58 days. Just like "bnsaibum". (Other posts in thread.)

Last Edited:
If your application is approved, ORS 166.292 gives the sheriff 45 days to send it to you...

166.292 Procedure for issuing; form of license; duration. (1) If the application for the license is approved, the sheriff shall issue and mail or otherwise deliver to the applicant at the address shown on the application, within 45 days of the application, a wallet sized license bearing the photograph of the licensee. The license must be signed by the licensee and carried whenever the licensee carries a concealed handgun.

(2) Failure of a person who carries a concealed handgun also to carry a concealed handgun license is prima facie evidence that the person does not have such a license.

I wasn't able to find anything that will provide for penalties if they take longer than 45 days or how long it could take if you are denied.

If your application is approved, ORS 166.292 gives the sheriff 45 days to send it to you...

166.292 Procedure for issuing; form of license; duration. (1) If the application for the license is approved, the sheriff shall issue and mail or otherwise deliver to the applicant at the address shown on the application, within 45 days of the application, a wallet sized license bearing the photograph of the licensee. The license must be signed by the licensee and carried whenever the licensee carries a concealed handgun.

(2) Failure of a person who carries a concealed handgun also to carry a concealed handgun license is prima facie evidence that the person does not have such a license.

I wasn't able to find anything that will provide for penalties if they take longer than 45 days or how long it could take if you are denied.

What you do is you complain to your legislature, both rep and senator. Enough complaints, and they will get on the co Sheriff's behind.

No, nothing on penalties. But the 45 day rule DOES also apply to the denial letter.
ORS 166.293, (1)

"166.293
Denial or revocation of license

(1) If the application for the concealed handgun license is denied, the sheriff shall set forth in writing the reasons for the denial. The denial shall be sent to the applicant by certified mail, restricted delivery, within 45 days after the application was made. If no decision is issued within 45 days, the person may seek review under the procedures in subsection (5) of this section."

But ya, nothing on penalties on "THEM"! But they sure make sure penalties on "US" are in there, huh!?!

What you do is you complain to your legislature, both rep and senator. Enough complaints, and they will get on the co Sheriff's behind.
Ya, and you're right. I'm not denying that, and I'm not trying to sound passive or lazy but all that probably isn't going to speed up the issuance of mine. Maybe for others, though. But then if I go complain for the sake of others, by which time mine will have shown up, they're just going to say, "what are YOU complaining about!? You got yours!". And they know this. What a racket, huh!?!

Taz-480, delay by Marion County (whom I suspect are not in favor of CHL) made me wonder whether there is anyone monitoring adherence to the law. http://www.northwestfirearms.com/general-firearm-discussion/85918-mariion-county-chl-45-days-counting.html

MichaelJ, any updates?
52 days, huh? And the other fella from my county, 58 days. Ya, the whole theory of mass applications/demand makes sense. But still.....!!
The law is the law!! I guess none of us really actually know exactly what all they do or how they do it, unless a former sheriff deputy/CHL processor wants to step up and tell us(?), but it only takes about 3 to 7 minutes for a FEDERAL background check to buy a hand gun, I don't see why it takes anywhere near 45 days to do the same thing and run our fingerprints. Especially when certain counties have proven that they can do it in anywhere from a couple days to a couple weeks, even for out-of-staters.

MichaelJ, any updates?

Ya, I was wondering that, too. In fact, that was the only post/thread I could find anywhere for how long it might take for a denial letter to show up. Is there a thread somewhere like this one for just that?? For Cert. denial letter delivery times?? The first couple weeks, I was curious just because I do have one little thing from years ago that I thought might have caused a little red flag, but shouldn't. I'm sure I would've gotten it by now if I was denied. Should be fine. It was just a misdemeanor but something involving a gun if the Sheriff reads through the entire police report. This was years ago when I was a totally, completely different person. Otherwise, like I said, it was just a misdemeanor and well over 4 years ago.

**PS-
(Sorry for the multiple posts. I spose I could've replied to all 3 in one post, but it would've taken up the same amount of page space.)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads