JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Are the mobile ham radios (inexpensive ones if there is such a thing) more user-friendly than the portables? By "user-friendly" I mean easier to operate, or more intuitive for inexperienced users, than the handhelds?

What I'm thinking about is the value of setting up a mobile unit to act as a base station in my home office, so I could listen in and get the basics down? Then, the mobile could be moved to the truck as needed, with the portables we have set aside for back-up if needed. Any thoughts?

They are all user unfriendly until you learn to use them.
There is no simple on off when it comes to ham gear of any kind.
They have PL tones, DTMF tones, offsets are sometime automatic, but some can be changed.
The only way to make them simple is to lock them to a simplex freq and just turn off and on.
Some have knobs for volume and squelch and some use key button combinations.
Understand the basics and then learn the idiosyncrasies of each radio.

Alright, alright. I'll get set up properly, study the manual, and stay at it until those d****d buttons and switches actually make sense to me.

I Know :D Pain in the Azz, but that is best. Just use it enough and keep the manual with you for a while. Another way is get on and talk to folks that have the radio and ask questions, or meet over coffee and have them go over it with you.
Once you use it it becomes easier, but if you don't use if for a period of time, back to square one usually.

On most of the Chinese radios, the manuals that come with them are worthless. For my Baoefeng UV5RA, I just Googled it and came across several very useful websites, as well as some stuff on You Tube. I was able get it programmed in about an hour after reading a website where some other dude did all the hard work and posted it.

My Radio Shack units are easily programmed. Some of them can be pretty frustrating to program, but just give it a break and come back to it and it will be easier.

The nice thing about the chinese radios is the programming cable is $8, and you can use CHiRP to program them... I don't even try programming radios by hand any more, especially when my repeater and frequency list nears 100 entries. Even doing this on my yaesu is impossible (it's much easier on my Icom's).

OMG you neutered it! rechambered to .308?!?! I would venture to say it doesnt shoot as accurately as it did while in 7.5 Swiss.

Good read on its topic, but when the lights go out, the food and water stop coming and no means to deliver them, the house is cold and dark, things become much uglier than simple protest riots.
It will in the case described in the link survival with panic and anger mixed with hunger riots.
It can come about in dozens of ways from financial collapse, mass terror attack, an asteroid hit blackening the skies or a plague and even a polar flip. Best to be prepared for the likely possibility of any of them occurring. If the info is never needed, the better.

The thing that gets lost when it comes to most "rich rural white" analysis of the "poor urban dark" landscape is a lack of understanding of the existing power structure that exists in these places. Gangs have their own territories, and in a SHTF grid down scenario they are going to be as aggressive about protecting their territory as they are about looting and robbing. Generally speaking, any "resource" in their "territory" will be theirs to loot and rob, this will lead to a lot of attrition, however this same thing will be in full effect in many "rich rural white" areas, just because there is a difference in social class and venue doesn't mean we don't all act like human animals when the opportunity requires it.

Eventually, I could see the situation degenerating to the point of looking like rhodesia, but that would be months or years down the road, and no matter what it's not going to be pleasant. However I'm really not sure it's going to be broken down on racial lines as much as it will class and age.

I remember in late 2005 I was taking the CERT course offered by LA county, because I started somewhat "off" schedule, I had to do classes 3-7 at one place, and then had to pick up classes 1 and 2 somewhere else at another time in order to graduate. The interesting thing was, the main class I took was being given to people from a specific office complex, they were fine and all, it seemed a few of them were just filling time, but most were genuinely interested. Then I took class one with a group from the city of Los Angeles... you want to talk about a group who could give a grand total of two s#!75 about the topic? There was zero participation, and it was clear no one wanted to be there. However, the quickest option to take class 2 was in south central los angeles, not terribly far away from florence and normandy. (I think it was about 3 blocks) the audience was almost entirely made up of older black people, you want to talk about an audience who hung on every word. Nearly everyone said the same thing, "I saw what happened to those poor people after hurricane katrina, and that's not going to be me", by far that was the best cert class I took. Nearly the whole class stayed after and had a big group discussion.

As a consequence of this, I really don't buy the mathematical "US vs THEM" racial paradigm that's a lot of fiction authors draw up, no matter what their pedigree. It really shows poorly on the understanding and tolerance people show towards one another, if all you follow is news reports then yes, urban areas are minority populated hell holes, all suburban white people are potential domestic terrorists, and all mexicans eat nothing but tacos and mow lawns when they're not passed out on the porch. These are all vicious stereotypes, that while they may have some basis in an anecdotal reality, do not hold true when put in a clearer context.

Case in point, the biggest group of rogue looters I fear in a SHTF situation... Cops, I don't care what racial group they are a part of, that whole "protect and serve" thing only applies to them when the chips are down.

Ham extra class here, 4 band HT, 4 band mobile with cross band repeat, base hf, uhf, vhf, battery and radio backup, generator backup. Go to a local ARES meeting to get an idea of what can happen and what amateur radio can do in an emergency.
Using used equipment not as expensive or complicated as it sounds. You can easily talk around the world with 100 watts.
Frequency or bands chosen to use would depend on repeaters, distance if simplex, and terrain. Not sure what advantage marine bands would offer over other upper bands. Chinese HT can work for short distance radios like can be purchased for walkie talkie types, many wont trip a repeater unless it is really close. Even my Yaesu vx-7r unless it is on high power settings isn't strong enough to hit all the local repeaters.

My name is Joey Link. I'm 26 years old and live with my girlfriend in West Linn, OR. After living in the ghetto for 25 years (N and NE Portland), I finally decided to move as far away as possible within 20 minutes of the city. I own Skyline Technology Solutions, a small computer repair and consulting company. If I had to pick one passion in life it would be politics, though I also enjoy firearms (obviously), cigars, cars, motorcycles, and bourbon. Life is getting better every day :D

Good post.
Antennas are 80 of the performance of a radio.
Even a VHF handheld can be range extended by 3x + with a small portable beam.

Here is an antenna question...

Over the next couple of months I will work to get a mobile unit set up for home use (so it can be used in a vehicle too). Since we already have a couple of Yaesu handhelds tucked away for emergency use I figure a Yaesu brand of mobile unit might make sense (maybe some programming is similar?). A Yaesu FT-2900R 75 Watt 2 Meter VHF Mobile Transceiver looks like something that would work (meet budget requirements). What would be some antenna ideas that won't break the bank? Our house sits in a bowl - terrain is open to the west and north (can see PDX west hills and Chehalem mountain area), but a hill and thick tree line blocks us on the east and south. There is no way to get above the hill, so if line of sight is important it would be only in two directions (W & N).

So what should I be thinking about as far as an antenna setup? I would mount it on the rooftop or top of garage most likely.

Over the next couple of months I will work to get a mobile unit set up for home use (so it can be used in a vehicle too). Since we already have a couple of Yaesu handhelds tucked away for emergency use I figure a Yaesu brand of mobile unit might make sense (maybe some programming is similar?). A Yaesu FT-2900R 75 Watt 2 Meter VHF Mobile Transceiver looks like something that would work (meet budget requirements). What would be some antenna ideas that won't break the bank? Our house sits in a bowl - terrain is open to the west and north (can see PDX west hills and Chehalem mountain area), but a hill and thick tree line blocks us on the east and south. There is no way to get above the hill, so if line of sight is important it would be only in two directions (W & N).

So what should I be thinking about as far as an antenna setup? I would mount it on the rooftop or top of garage most likely.

A simple 1/2 wave mag mount type works well, and not dependent on a ground plane. Portable and good 360 radiation pattern.
Juist remember height makes the difference.

EZlivin

Might want to consider a mobile that is capable of cross band repeat. This would allow your HT to use the mobile as a personal repeater to boost the signal to the targeted repeater. Can be used at the house or when mobile and away from the vehicle.
Would need vhf uhf capabilities. I use when hiking on a trail or property where the HT can reach the truck but not the repeater.
Will cause battery drain over long periods of time.

Antenna wise, home made yagi's are directional and could give increased db in the direction of the repeater. Lots of plans online.
A good cheap vertical on the chimney would probably work with 75 watts.
Even a mobile mag mount antenna on a cookie sheet in the attic can give good results, I used one for a while.;)

ham radio's are kinda cool for s.h.t.f.... I talked to a guy in Italy last month on 20 watts of power, s.s.b. mono antenna about 10 feet off the ground. that's not much more wattage than the bulb in my refridgerator.

Well I did pass the Technician exam about a week ago :s0053: Yippee!

Just waiting for my call sign to appear in the FCC data base.

Spending a lot of time listening to try and figure this stuff out

Listening into the KOIN repeater this morning then he dialed in a repeater in Alaska using a "node"?

Next thing I know I'm listening to someone in Alaska talking to a mobile in Parumph Nevada, how does this work, would we be able to join in?

Also, thinking about a mobile rig, not willing to drill holes for an antenna and my truck clears the garage door with about an inch to spare.

I have a fiberglass ARE canopy on it, would it be possible to set an antenna in the truck bed inside the canopy?

Would also help keep from drawing attention to it.

The more I learn, the more I feel like I don't know anything!

Listening into the KOIN repeater this morning then he dialed in a repeater in Alaska using a "node"?

Next thing I know I'm listening to someone in Alaska talking to a mobile in Parumph Nevada, how does this work, would we be able to join in?

Also, thinking about a mobile rig, not willing to drill holes for an antenna and my truck clears the garage door with about an inch to spare.

I have a fiberglass ARE canopy on it, would it be possible to set an antenna in the truck bed inside the canopy?

Congratulations.
It wasn't so bad, was it. :)
The interlinks can cover a lot of ground. Connects repeatears together over long ranges, and nice clean comms.

I think you may have encountered the win system, its a group of repeaters linked together through the internet. "IRLP"(internet radio linking project?)...using a node" type of connection sub tone" so you can be in alaska and able to talk to someone in puerto rico,, etc. using radio-voip-internet connection. cool stuff, but useless if all internet has failed. heres a linky: Winsystem
They make a hood mount antenna bracket that mounts under the lip of the engine compartment hood on your truck,making total length for 2 meters about 18" high. then you can run the coax under the hood and thru the firewall by your steering column. there are rubber plugs near your steering column, that would facilitate a coax feed.

ham radio's are kinda cool for s.h.t.f.... I talked to a guy in Italy last month on 20 watts of power, s.s.b. mono antenna about 10 feet off the ground. that's not much more wattage than the bulb in my refridgerator.

The low bands dont take a lot of antenna, just a clear shot at the sky and its there.

I use 2 J pole antennas made from copper pipe available on E bay for about $ 31 shipped. Flat wave when we hooked it up. I have one on my shop up about 20 feet, and one mobile set up to take out in the brush with me. My son has the same set up at about 500 foot elevation and gets around just fine with one of the Baoefeng UV 5RA units.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top