JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm new to this but hoping I can get help well out in the woods this weekend I left my wife in the truck and im curious is there a way to communicate with my cb radio thats in my truck well away from it because she missed out on the bear I was watching because I had to way to tell her to come up where I was and by time i walked down and back bear was gone with that being said not saying she would of got there in time but I could of atleast watched it some more lol

As popular as CB was at one time, it's a thing of the past. Younger folks know very little about it.

Radios are still very available, and cheaper than ever, including hand held (walkie talkie) models.

i offered one up 9 months ago, and never got a sniff.

Personally, I think FRS and/or GMRS is a better option for hunting.

Last Edited:
I'm not a CB guy. I'm a ham radio guy. But a quick search for handheld cb radio produced some results, including this.....

I did Google and saw that and few other jusy wasn't sure if there was possibly a better option maybe like a gmrs that would talk 2 it or if maube I should look into the ham stuff etc

Depending on the range and terrain, if its hilly, a CB walkie (AM) might work better than a GMRS or FRS ( FM) radio, which are both low power and basically liine of sight. You have to raise the walkie's telescoping antenna completly which is very long. Get at least a 1 Watt unit and use an earpiece. Dont forget to remove the batteries, probably about 10 AAs after use. Let us know how how it works. Good Luck.

Hand held CB + very limited power, very limited range.
I did Google and saw that and few other jusy wasn't sure if there was possibly a better option maybe like a gmrs that would talk 2 it or if maube I should look into the ham stuff etc
Look at FRS or GMRS. The ham stuff would be better however you and your wife would need to dedicate considerably more time to licensing and learning proper operation.

Our Flaggers use FSR to communicate between each other and Cobra Radio Shack or Midland walkies to talk with the trucks According to the girls the Cobras and the Radio Shacks are the same radio. You can get a longer better antenna for them. We can hear them about a mile from most jobs. Closer depending on terrain.

Before migrating over to GMRS, we used CB quite a bit for communication, particularly when we lived in eastern Oregon. (The vehicles are still setup for them and there is a base station in the house. And there are a few handhelds, at least one of which in the truck for the type of communication the OP mentioned.)

There are indeed handheld models for CB and they, generally, work well enough for short range communications. One vendor that has been helpful over the years is Walcott Radio. Cheers. :)

Our Flaggers use FSR to communicate between each other and Cobra Radio Shack or Midland walkies to talk with the trucks According to the girls the Cobras and the Radio Shacks are the same radio. You can get a longer better antenna for them. We can hear them about a mile from most jobs. Closer depending on terrain.
I think FRS is restricted to non commercial use only, hence the Family in the name. Should look into that if you plan to keep using them for business.

If you're going to do gmrs and aren't in a hurry then it may be worth waiting a little while as the FCC will be lowering the cost of license from $70 to $35. Still valid for 10 years.

I think FRS is restricted to non commercial use only, hence the Family in the name. Should look into that if you plan to keep using them for business.

From FCC:

FRS is licensed by rule. This means an individual license is not required to operate an FRS radio provided you comply with the rules. You may operate an FRS radio regardless of your age, and for personal or for business use if you are not a representative of a foreign government.

I am very well aware of the laws about FSR use. The company that does our flagging can deal with that. I just drive the dump truck.

If at all possible I would very much like to watch and listen from a courteous distance when you go to the counter and ask if they carry "reefer" or just "blunts"? Asking for a friend.

I'm not a CB guy. I'm a ham radio guy. But a quick search for handheld cb radio produced some results, including this.....

I have two of these. They work well. When in the vehicle I connect it to a K-40 magnetic mount antenna. It plugs directly into the 12v vehicle lighter plug but there's also a battery pack that quickly attaches so you can go out on foot. The battery pack takes AA batteries.

The only real advantage with having the CB radio is that if you're traveling on the interstate and there's a back up you can get info from truckers and other people talking way down the road. GMRS has every other advantage over CB other than that. I don't think the state police monitor channel 9 or 19 anymore though.

The only real advantage with having the CB radio is that if you're traveling on the interstate and there's a back up you can get info from truckers and other people talking way down the road. GMRS has every other advantage over CB other than that. I don't think the state police monitor channel 9 or 19 anymore though.
The advantage of CB over FRS and GMRS is the frequency. CB is 27 Megahertz (known as HF) which can follow terrain where the others are about 450 Megahertz (known as VHF) and cannot. HF is also less reduced by trees than VHF. VHF is better at reflecting off things like buildings and mountains. HF can "skip" when conditions are right and talk thousands of miles. VHF is basically line of sight. CB is more subject to noisy conditions than VHF.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top