JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If it doesn't have a serial number, how are they going to know if it was manufactured before or after the magic date?

I would 'assume' they would rely on sale dates even though the 'build' could have been when ever.

I would be pro-active in documenting the build before that magic date. While you are supposed to be presumed innocent and the government is supposed to prove its case against you, I would be skeptical because the political climate against guns is so extreme here. Plus, once we're up to 2025, you may not be able to rely on retailers to still have your purchase history available -- the retailer might not even be in business -- and if you are tasked with proving a date prior to July 1, you might be screwed.

I don't know that it would be sufficient to get out of trouble, but I would think that taking pictures of the weapon and then having those pictures notarized prior to the magic date would be helpful (as would receipts). Having a unique mark or number on the firearm visible in the photos would be a nice touch. I don't think it would be a good idea to ever change out components though (a different upper for example, could actually be evidence of "assembly" -- once documented, freeze it and never change it). If you have photos of your build notarized prior to the magic date, you have a state certified official who isn't related to you in any way, documenting the fact of the pre-existing build. It may even be possible to get a statement from the notary that he/she examined the physical object and it matches the photos. Like I said, don't know if this would be good enough, but it feels like a good effort at least.

Another option may be submitting photos to a website, such as here, but then you are relying on a third party existing for at least the rest of your life.

I am so pissed at the attacks on our freedoms. The whole idea of making illegal the manufacturing of an 80%... What's next? ....."Sorry dude... You're going to have to go through this background check to buy that block of aluminum as you might take it home to your milling machine and make a lower out of it"

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top