JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just accepted this on trade.
Wondering if I should fire current production .25 through it as it's 107 yrs old.

20171011_130344.jpg

Last Edited:
I just accepted this on trade.
Wondering if I should fire current production .25 through it as it's 107 yrs old.
What kind of shape is it in? If you are not sure the place to ask is a competent Smith. If there is nothing wrong with the pistol why not. Now depending on condition though it may be worth enough to a collector to maybe not. Throw up some pics of it if nothing else. Many would I am sure love to see it.

What kind of shape is it in? If you are not sure the place to ask is a competent Smith. If there is nothing wrong with the pistol why not. Now depending on condition though it may be worth enough to a collector to maybe not. Throw up some pics of it if nothing else. Many would I am sure love to see it.

It functions well,took some cleaning to free the grip safety up.

Assuming it looked as good in person as it does in pictures, I would not hesitate to shoot it. I have shot a bunch of 1903 Colts in .32acp and it's larger .380acp brother. I used modern ammo and the guns looked considerably more worn than that one.

If it's first year production I would think it's worth something to a collector. They made the 1908 for 40 years so if the serial number is high it may be a little more modern than you think.

I have it's near-twin, a Baby Browning .25acp from around 1920. I've shot it plenty over the years.

I'd think you would be fine*....Heck at 107 years old it is the age one of my "newer" guns...:D
Assuming everything locks up fine and head space isn't a issue...
Andy
i would clean it up and shoot the heck out of it. I shoot my original 1858 Remington Civil war veteran revolver (my grandsons favorite) and 1877, 1878 Colt revolvers. 25 ACP isn't an intense cartridge even today. These are fairly common little autos but always have value. All old Colt's do.

All kidding aside, the old loadings can be much more intense than newer ones. I remember shooting DJV in Germany next to an old German guy with a Hi-power......he was throwing flames 2 feet past the muzzle while my 45 was just thumping away. I thought to myself it didn't even look fun to shoot. Today's 9mm seems very mild. I have Hornaday reloading manuals from the early 70's......many loads are much hotter than in new books. I smell another too many lawyer issue......

Ah the ,25 ACP. Perfect for those times when you can't carry a gun!
Unless the bore is plugged, I would have no qualms about shooting it. It's a semi-rimmed case and a blow back to boot. Headspace is not really an issue unless the slide won't close.

This 1903 in .32 acp was made in 1915, and I shoot the heck out of it. Manufacturers switched to "nickel steel" about 1905 for smokeless powder cartridges. Assuming it is functioning correctly your 1908 should be fine to shoot.
GunInv2016-Colt1.jpg

I had a Colt 1903 "Pocket hammer" for a short time, a 38 ACP (not the same as the pocket hammerless). I bought it from an old guy for $200 maybe 25 years ago. I shot it a little and the flat sear spring broke.

I took it to a gunsmith to see if he had a spring. He didn't, but later that day I get a phone call from a buddy of his wanting to buy it. I had made the mistake of telling the smith how much I had paid, and I was young and dumb, so his wheeler-dealer buddy expertly chews me down to the bone on price. A month or two later I saw him at a show, with my gun under glass on his table, for something like $800.

I had a Colt 1903 "Pocket hammer" for a short time, a 38 ACP (not the same as the pocket hammerless). I bought it from an old guy for $200 maybe 25 years ago. I shot it a little and the flat sear spring broke.

I took it to a gunsmith to see if he had a spring. He didn't, but later that day I get a phone call from a buddy of his wanting to buy it. I had made the mistake of telling the smith how much I had paid, and I was young and dumb, so his wheeler-dealer buddy expertly chews me down to the bone on price. A month or two later I saw him at a show, with my gun under glass on his table, for something like $800.
I saw one identical to mine at a show under glass for $1200. Don't know what that guy was smoking, but I want some.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews