JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had a Colt 1903 "Pocket hammer" for a short time, a 38 ACP (not the same as the pocket hammerless). I bought it from an old guy for $200 maybe 25 years ago. I shot it a little and the flat sear spring broke.

I took it to a gunsmith to see if he had a spring. He didn't, but later that day I get a phone call from a buddy of his wanting to buy it. I had made the mistake of telling the smith how much I had paid, and I was young and dumb, so his wheeler-dealer buddy expertly chews me down to the bone on price. A month or two later I saw him at a show, with my gun under glass on his table, for something like $800.
Original (not repro) magazines for the 1903 pocket hammerless are routinely going for $200 on eBay. Repro's are $30.

I had a Colt 1903 "Pocket hammer" for a short time, a 38 ACP (not the same as the pocket hammerless). I bought it from an old guy for $200 maybe 25 years ago. I shot it a little and the flat sear spring broke.

I took it to a gunsmith to see if he had a spring. He didn't, but later that day I get a phone call from a buddy of his wanting to buy it. I had made the mistake of telling the smith how much I had paid, and I was young and dumb, so his wheeler-dealer buddy expertly chews me down to the bone on price. A month or two later I saw him at a show, with my gun under glass on his table, for something like $800.

A hard lesson! I'll bet you became the king of research after that one! That's sad!

A hard lesson! I'll bet you became the king of research after that one! That's sad!

Yeah, after a couple lessons like that I got to be almost immune to a hard sell. I also learned to try to be honest and ethical in business dealings. That guy ripped off a young guy and laughed all the way to the bank. Disgusting.

Another time a guy came out to look at an old dirt bike I was selling, then starts in on the high-pressure bubblegum, offers me half. I just turned around and walked away, sold the bike a couple days later for full price.

I've bought stuff over the years for under market value from people desperate to sell or needing money, but I've always tried to be honest about value, usually saying that they could likely get more elsewhere but this is what I can pay. Then again I've never made a business out of buying and selling so I'd probably make a terrible salesman.

Yeah, after a couple lessons like that I got to be almost immune to a hard sell. I also learned to try to be honest and ethical in business dealings. That guy ripped off a young guy and laughed all the way to the bank. Disgusting.

Another time a guy came out to look at an old dirt bike I was selling, then starts in on the high-pressure bubblegum, offers me half. I just turned around and walked away, sold the bike a couple days later for full price.

I've bought stuff over the years for under market value from people desperate to sell or needing money, but I've always tried to be honest about value, usually saying that they could likely get more elsewhere but this is what I can pay. Then again I've never made a business out of buying and selling so I'd probably make a terrible salesman.
That's my usual approach. I either say (truthfully) that this is what I can afford to spend, or this is what it's worth to me. If it's not a deal at that price then no hard feelings.

I saw one identical to mine at a show under glass for $1200. Don't know what that guy was smoking, but I want some.

Have not been to shows for decades but assume not much has changed. There were always people "asking" prices that were not realistic. Some times they were waiting to let someone talk them down to a price still too high. Saw this happen a lot. Some times they may not even really want to sell it. As long as you are buying a table anyway can't hurt to ask some insane price for some stuff. There are also those rare times when someone with more money than sense sees something and just has to have it. When I was doing shows this happened to me a few times. Ended up selling something for what to me was an insane price. Hey the buyer walked away happy and I sure as hell was happy.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top