JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Gun sales at record levels, according to FBI background checks - CNN.com

I just wanted to say, keep up the good work. *:D

Despite some nice quotes from the NRA included in the article, it appears the article added in the anti-RKBA sources as well to help appease or scare the simple-minded liberal sheeple. *However, to me, this is my New Years Resolution. *I think another gun in the safe would be a great way to start the New Year.. * The more Americans who own guns, the less bureaucratic scum who can take them from us.. *Anyway, I just love reading articles like these from the major news sources. *

Of course, to be impartial (yeah right), they had to include a quote from the Brady Bunch:
"The research we've seen indicates fewer and fewer people are owning more and more guns," said Caroline Brewer of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "All the trends indicate the number of Americans who own guns has declined."

*More Americans than ever before own guns.. Can the Brady Buttholes please share any of their sources to backup their fallacious lies! *

And if this isn't good enough proof, then the Brady's have had their head up their arse too many years:
Two days before Christmas, NICS ran 102,222 background checks, which was the second-busiest day in history. The one-day record was set this year on Black Friday, the big shopping day following Thanksgiving, with 129,166 searches. By comparison, the previous one-day high was set November 28, 2008, when gun dealers made slightly less than 98,000 requests for background searches.

And really, how can there be a record sales in guns more than ever before in the history of the country, yet somehow there is less gun owners than ever before??? Seriously, so stupid!

Hope everyone enjoyed their new guns acquired over the holidays.. Cheers *:gun20:

I think the general populace of Righties is scared because of the boobs on their side running for president. :)

But I digress, for whatever reason it's a good thing for us all and I hope a lions share of the firearms being purchased are made right here in the USA supporting American jobs and families. Here's to a better 2012!

I think the general populace of Righties is scared because of the boobs on their side running for president. :)

But I digress, for whatever reason it's a good thing for us all and I hope a lions share of the firearms being purchased are made right here in the USA supporting American jobs and families. Here's to a better 2012!

Show me one real right wing R candidate for prez? No Neo Cons please..

It is great for the firearms industry that people are buying more guns. Sadly, all studies I have read seem to support the Brady claim that fewer people are owning more guns and that fewer homes actually have a firearm in them. That is why it is so important to try to be more inclusive as a firearms community and try to garner new shooters and not shut out anyone we feel doesn't fit the mold. Sadly, too many gun forums are all too quick to chase off anyone that does not agree with their narrow political beliefs or their personal morals.

I still cannot believe this.. What studies? Can you show me some references? I agree there is a polarizing element among some people in the RKBA community. I find in Idaho that if you don't like think as they do on every political subject, people will certainly rag on you and try to intimidate you. I've never encountered that sentiment in Oregon, but oh well, no place is perfect. Nonetheless, I cannot believe with record number of gun sales, that less people own guns today.

I do agree we need to spread the word and help educated more of the citizenry about guns and help persuade more of them to be gun owners in a caring and respectful manner.

Last figures I saw (last night) say 47% of homes now own guns, up from 41% a few years ago.
I saw that study too, all one did was take a limited survey of NRA members and an equal random sampling. Another just used sales records and divided the numbers among the population using the average number of guns owned by the average gun owner. Neither of those are very accurate or scientific. Census records tend to show a different number. The vast majority of homes that used to report owning firearms owned hunting rifles and shotguns. The numbers of households that hunt have drastically fallen in recent decades. The number of people that own firearms for SD has grown, but not at a rate that counters the loss of hunters. I am never sure why gun owners feel so threatened by this.

There are estimated to be 270 million guns in the US. If you assume most gun owners own 2.3 guns (which those reports suggest) you get about 38% of people who own a gun. Then they do some creative math regarding the number of adults in a home and some other figures and they get the 47% figure. Of course all of this also depends on the assumption that only about 12-15% of all guns in the country are actually documented and it also almost ignores the number of guns that leave service each year.

I personally own over three dozen guns. I know lots of people that have more guns than me. In fact I hardly know any gun owners on the forums that have only two guns and rifles. That blows their average away right off the bat. If you have ten people and two of them each own ten guns that is an average of two guns per person That does not mean all ten people have guns. Without knowing the number of people that actually own guns you cannot possibly figure an accurate average to even start your equation.

The largest growing segment of new gun owners is actually women, up 47% in the past 10 years. and not just the country gals. girls in hi-heels to..Not to say that country gals don`t wear hi-heels now..

That would seem to jive with what I have heard in talking to store owners.
But it is a small slice of the pie ( My observations vs total population)
I have seen more women out learning how to shoot a pistol or some other weapon
Maybe they are making sure their husbands stay out of trouble

It woul dbe interesting to see the real data

The largest growing segment of new gun owners is actually women, up 47% in the past 10 years. and not just the country gals. girls in hi-heels to..Not to say that country gals don`t wear hi-heels now..

Nothing "fair and balanced" from the Violence Policy Center, EVER!

I was just at an FFL today, he was working "overtime" to catch up on paperwork, I bought a Kahr PM9. While I waited to pay another person came in to pickup his gun, there were three more waiting to be picked up too. And this was an FFL working out of his house so it's a small operation.

How many of those firearms were for first-time buyers? If they were being transferred by a kitchen table FFL the buyers probably are experienced gun owners. So while many firearms were being sold, there was probably no increase in the number of gun owners.
That is the point people seem to be missing. There is no way to figure the average guns per person unless you know how many people own guns and these cold call surveys are way too inaccurate and biased. So all those studies are pure speculation. Just think of your neighborhood. Do you really buy the notion that half of the homes have guns in them? Do you believe half the homes in PDX have guns in them? Even in my small home town in WV fewer and fewer people have guns because fewer people hunt each year.

based on some questions I have received, I think we need to clarify the statement "fewer people are buying more gun." We are not saying fewer people are buying guns. We are saying that current gun owners are buying more guns than ever. That people who used to keep three or four guns are not keeping six or seven.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top