JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For some reason I have the idea that CMP M1s are all pretty good shape? They go through them all to grade them and replace anything terrible. I mean, we're not talking "Royal Tiger Imports" quality in any of these CMP Garand's are we?

The Service Grade are great shooters. The second one I got had a muzzle/throat readings of 1/1. The first one had muzzle/throat at 2/1 (or 1/2?). They are not "parts matching" but who cares. I have it on good authority soldiers and armorers did not/do not care about "parts matching".

The Royal Tiger stuff looks to be absolute junk. I wouldn't buy them at half price.

The Service Grade are great shooters. The second one I got had a muzzle/throat readings of 1/1. The first one had muzzle/throat at 2/1 (or 1/2?). They are not "parts matching" but who cares. I have it on good authority soldiers and armorers did not/do not care about "parts matching".

The Royal Tiger stuff looks to be absolute junk. I wouldn't buy them at half price.

Those measurements are incredible from what I know. As far as I'm concerned, an arsenal rebuild is every bit as good for me as original. i want a shooter. And our guys in WWII shot those guns arsenal rebuilt, if I'm not mistaken.

RTI? They'd have to pay me, from the things I've read. As I understand, they don't include barrel condition in their ratings.
"Shudder"

For some reason I have the idea that CMP M1s are all pretty good shape? They go through them all to grade them and replace anything terrible. I mean, we're not talking "Royal Tiger Imports" quality in any of these CMP Garand's are we?

As far as those wait times go, I'm reading 6 months from folks on gunboards.com.

Dang, I REALLY want one, and have pondered GunBroker. :rolleyes:

CMP does not go through them like a USGI arsenal would. For most rifles, they do a visual inspection of the rifle assembled and guage the barrels, some get a stock replaced, then the barrel headspace is checked and then test fired. The rifle is not cleaned and many of these Philippine rifles will have areas of active rust.

They do not completely clean the barrels before gauging them. Many times a barrel will gauge 1-2 more after you get it and clean it. Using a guage to measure barrel condition is inaccurate. I had one that tapered out to 5ME at the crown that measure 2ME with the gauge. I have a couple that have worn crowns.

The only field grade I received had a new hackberry stock. Before I got it, CMP replaced the stock without even removing a layer of dirt packed under the hand guard or lower band that was missing the pin. After some cleaning and a walnut stock the rifle looked better with only and worn barrel and some minor pitting under the wood.

On the flip side I have acquired some very nice rifles. I have a couple direct from the CMP that were USGI arsenal rebuilt and never used. I have acquired some older CMP and DCM rifles that were arsenal rebuilt with new USGI barrels and new USGI parts and never issued.

Anything you get from the CMP will need a thorough inspection, cleaning and lubrication. If there is any wear on the op rod spring, replace it and the clip latch spring with new springs.

CMP does not go through them like a USGI arsenal would. For most rifles, they do a visual inspection of the rifle assembled and guage the barrels, some get a stock replaced, then the barrel headspace is checked and then test fired. The rifle is not cleaned and many of these Philippine rifles will have areas of active rust.

They do not completely clean the barrels before gauging them. Many times a barrel will gauge 1-2 more after you get it and clean it. Using a guage to measure barrel condition is inaccurate. I had one that tapered out to 5ME at the crown that measure 2ME with the gauge. I have a couple that have worn crowns.

The only field grade I received had a new hackberry stock. Before I got it, CMP replaced the stock without even removing a layer of dirt packed under the hand guard or lower band that was missing the pin. After some cleaning and a walnut stock the rifle looked better with only and worn barrel and some minor pitting under the wood.

On the flip side I have acquired some very nice rifles. I have a couple direct from the CMP that were USGI arsenal rebuilt and never used. I have acquired some older CMP and DCM rifles that were arsenal rebuilt with new USGI barrels and new USGI parts and never issued.

Anything you get from the CMP will need a thorough inspection, cleaning and lubrication. If there is any wear on the op rod spring, replace it and the clip latch spring with new springs.

Thank you for that. In my reading over the last 2-3 years I don't remember any one being truly unsatisfied with their CMP purchases though. That's heartening. Not saying they aren't out there.

When I received my "one per lifetime" M1 rifle from the DCM (Department of Civilian Marksmanship), it was in great shape. It did have preservative all over the stock and had to be cleaned. I also had to wait a year from the time the order was mailed in until I received the rifle through the US postal service. Things are very different now with the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) in that you can order several per year. In the past I had received from CMP a beat up Danish return (woodless Dane) that had problems with the firing pin and trigger due to worn out parts. Once the parts were replaced the rifle worked great. I also received from the CMP a Danish return that was like new but was almost encased in cosmoline. The bolt would not open due to so much cosmoline. This rifle had not been checked other that visual before it was shipped to me. It took a while to clean all the cosmoline, but I was very pleased when cleaning was finished. I have not ordered any from CMP for several years. It sounds like their processes have changed for the better.

My wife surprised me for our 10th wedding anniversary by ordering two Garands from CMP. What we ended up getting was amazing- two very nice rifles- and I have to be honest here and say that most likely because she did it, they took extra care of her as I am guessing they dont get a lot of females ordering them ;-). Process was not hard, and VERY worth it. Springfield Armory CMP Special Grade, WW2 era Serial number 11340XX, and Service grade Springfield Armory Serial#1772XX with original USGI wood with stamps! Special grade is very nice, but I actually prefer the service grade, as every scuff and bump of the original wood tells a story/history, and MAN you wish these could talk. It is my understanding that both came from the Phillipines returns.

DF78D37C-338F-4251-95B6-1ACC0D545D53.jpeg 18AD889E-C25E-4A41-BC41-266CF5796280.jpeg 8FFF5FCD-BA2D-4EE6-9C73-E7F365C97992.jpeg 98E48EA8-0E54-433A-A08C-537C0C0E286A.jpeg

He_s_Right.png

The SG rifles are IMHO the right combination of use, history and shootability (no such word, but you know what I mean) all rolled up into a great buy/package.

BUT......I bought mine awhile back. As for today......:s0092:

Aloha, Mark

PS.....this old Winchester was purchased awhile back (Nov. 2010).

Remember when you were a kid at Christmas?
M1-Winchester-001.jpg
M1-Winchester-003.jpg

Last Edited:
When I received my "one per lifetime" M1 rifle from the DCM (Department of Civilian Marksmanship), it was in great shape. It did have preservative all over the stock and had to be cleaned. I also had to wait a year from the time the order was mailed in until I received the rifle through the US postal service. Things are very different now with the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) in that you can order several per year. In the past I had received from CMP a beat up Danish return (woodless Dane) that had problems with the firing pin and trigger due to worn out parts. Once the parts were replaced the rifle worked great. I also received from the CMP a Danish return that was like new but was almost encased in cosmoline. The bolt would not open due to so much cosmoline. This rifle had not been checked other that visual before it was shipped to me. It took a while to clean all the cosmoline, but I was very pleased when cleaning was finished. I have not ordered any from CMP for several years. It sounds like their processes have changed for the better.

My first.......was also a once in a lifetime DCM rifle. It cost me IIRC, about $97? And, as a civilian, I had many hoops to jump through. Like: besides, the regular BGC and fingerprints and joining a shooting organization (not the NRA) there was the need to actually participate in a real shooting Competition/Match.

Anyway.......I got an IHC for all of my trouble. LOL......I later tried to have it brought up to "Match" condition. Oh well......I've made plenty of mistakes in my lifetime.

M1-Garand-IHC.jpg

Later.....the program was changed (the CMP was established). But, it gave me the opportunity to expand my "collection". Buying and selling some rifles and parts. In addition to the IHC, I've also managed to hold on to these.

M1-Garand-Springfield.jpg
M1-Garand-H-R.jpg
M1-Winchester.jpg

BUT YES......I've also managed to continue with some of the "mistakes" along the way.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Gawd...Reading this I'm thinking I may as well join the GCA to get things moving. I'm torn between the CMP, and a guy I know from the OAC that must have a number of M1s and M1 carbines, and has them up for sale at gun shows from time to time. I'd pay well more for one of his though, but the guns he's collected over the years are worth it. Problem is, I think his guns get sold before the shows open, or minutes after they open. And I don't have contact info for him.

Another ... back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and we got garands for $5 thread?

CMP quality is more and more hit and miss, because they are going through sources more remote and less careful about storage than us service guns . Also, you know , more time has passed. Philippine returns... As far as prices , while the Antifa friendly state of OR has no sales tax, up here in Ama$on country , we pay a 10% tax on anything bought from another ffl like the CMP, so that also factors into the equation. That and the wait time is the one bridge too far for many. For example , both of mine are CMP service grade rifles that sit in USGI wood abs came from private parties , who in turn bought from the CMP. I paid about $50 over CMP price on each, which was worth it given the opportunity to inspect first and not wait for months.

To this day, my M1 and 1903 cmp rifles are two of my favorites. I have some AR pattern rifles and I like those as well, but they are just not the same.

I purchased the M1 and 1903 on the same order from cmp some years ago. While the rifles were both in very good condition (I don't remember what grade they were off-hand), the delivery process (Fed Ex) left much to be desired. This was back when they were delivered to your home. I was notified of the day they would arrive and made sure I was home. I was told they would likely be on the same delivery. Doorbell rings, fedex guy hands me one package. I mentioned there were supposed to be two of said packages on this delivery. He said he new nothing about that and ran off.

It was 5:15pm and there was a fedex facility about 20 minutes from my house so I decided to go there and see if they had any info. When I arrived to this giant fedex facility I found the manager was still there but there were no other employees. I assume this was shift change time as all the trucks were backed up to the door, empty, with the door open and awaiting loading for the next day.

The manager looked up the info in the computer then told me to follow him. We went right to the bay that had the truck in it and I could see that lone package still upright, strapped to the wall, well before we got up to the truck. Manager hands me the package, apologized for the mistake, said he would have a word with the driver the next day, and I was on my way with the rifle.

If you want something specific, buying on the open market may be the way to go. You pay a premium, but you know for sure what you're getting and you might even get to shoot it the same day.

So I don't think asking $1500 for a $750 rifle is necessarily unreasonable. If you bought from the CMP, you're taking the gamble on overall build, you fill out the
This. If you live near Anniston and can go pick one out yourself, that's one thing. Ordering sight unseen, that's a crap-shoot. You may get lucky and obtain a nice rifle. Or you might get something less than nice. Driving to Anniston is inconvenient for me. I've purchased 10 or 12 since CMP took over, got some nice ones and some not nice. Paying a premium price to take all the risk out of a purchase is something people are willing to do. And, if they know what to look for, they aren't paying extra money for nothing. They are buying the right to see what they are paying for.

paperwork and do all the waiting.
I was okay with doing the paperwork, the wait was not burdensome. But again, some people will pay extra to avoid these issues.

and then test fired.
This has been said about CMP rifles. However, I've received more than one that was obviously straight out of storage, had definitely not been fired for decades. For test or otherwise. But this had the effect of being a good thing. These rifles hadn't had their parts all mixed up in the dunk-tank process. They were basically as they had last been as issued in the army.

My sense is that clean rifles that were last used by the US Army (or other services) and stored dry were fast tracked within CMP, didn't get tanked and so on. Brief inspection and on they went. The mountains of greasy / rusty rifles from overseas countries, those needed more attention. If you look at photos of the Philippine haul, it is apparent that condition varied a lot. And storage criteria were less exacting for most.

over the last 2-3 years I don't remember any one being truly unsatisfied with their CMP purchases though.
I've read some posts in the CMP forum about less than satisfactory purchases. The dynamic of human expression tends to favor happy experiences over unhappy ones. You see guys posting pictures, bragging about the cherries that they've received from CMP. People are less apt to brag about the dogs they got and are not thrilled about. I've had to send one back, it was badly overgraded, way too rough to keep.

up here in Ama$on country , we pay a 10% tax on anything bought from another ffl like the CMP, so that also factors into the equation.
This is a consideration. On the other hand, if in Wash., when you buy one privately, there is no tax and you save that 10%.

During the DCM days, there was no grading. It was pure luck of the draw. You couldn't expect every rifle to be unissued or taken from fresh rebuild stock. For example, there was one period of time when ROTC units were turning in M1 Rifles. These were criss-cross stacked and banded onto pallets. These had lots of drill handling while in the hands of ROTC, after seeing years of active duty use. They were issued straight out of army stock to civilian DCM customers.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top