JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Personally I think that if you are an honorably discharged veteran then that's all you need to get one them. Phooey on the rest of it.

I bought mine from CMP about 15 years ago for $400, Danish surplus with a beat-up stock. Replaced the wood and the barrel, shoots like a dream now. Sure wish I had bought an M1 Carbine to go with it. Boy oh boy, have those gone up!

Dont pay crazy prices for M1 garands that are from cmp. Its super easy to get them from cmp yourself and they start at $650. There are some good videos online that talk you thru the process. I hate seeing people taken advantage of.
I saw someone say recently that shipping from cmp was like $800 or something crazy.

I think it depends what you want. In my case, I just wanted a Garand I could shoot safely, so I bought the cheapest service grade they offered. But you don't know what you're getting until you get it. Mine has wear ratings of 1/1, but it was definitely rebuilt in the 60s, using the '43 receiver. Even got NM charging handle for whatever that's worth. BUT I had to wait months to get it. Enough months, I'd more or less given up on getting on

If you want something specific, buying on the open market may be the way to go. You pay a premium, but you know for sure what you're getting and you might even get to shoot it the same day.

So I don't think asking $1500 for a $750 rifle is necessarily unreasonable. If you bought from the CMP, you're taking the gamble on overall build, you fill out the paperwork and do all the waiting.

I think it depends what you want. In my case, I just wanted a Garand I could shoot safely, so I bought the cheapest service grade they offered. But you don't know what you're getting until you get it. Mine has wear ratings of 1/1, but it was definitely rebuilt in the 60s, using the '43 receiver. Even got NM charging handle for whatever that's worth. BUT I had to wait months to get it. Enough months, I'd more or less given up on getting on

If you want something specific, buying on the open market may be the way to go. You pay a premium, but you know for sure what you're getting and you might even get to shoot it the same day.

So I don't think asking $1500 for a $750 rifle is necessarily unreasonable. If you bought from the CMP, you're taking the gamble on overall build, you fill out the paperwork and do all the waiting.
for $1500 I would just buy 2 from CMP

Personally I think that if you are an honorably discharged veteran then that's all you need to get one them. Phooey on the rest of it.
that does fulfill one of the requirements. pretty much just need to join garand collectors club and get a notary and it's a done deal. I also had to get a copy of my local gun shops FFL so they could ship it there. But I agree, us vets should instantly qualify and get a discount.

And you're willing to wait and take the gamble for what parts amalgamation you'd get. Your reward for doing so is a cheaper rifle. Did what I posted not make sense?
yes It makes sense but service grade will be a good gun. I could see paying more on the private market for one that's all correct but if your goal is just a good shootable Garand I'd go service grade from CMP.

Pretty much what OP said. You can get a good quality USGI Springfield M1 shipped to your FFL for 650$ exact. The process takes about 10 mins to gather and mail out. Just need 1 form notarized. In other free states it gets shipped straight to your door lol. I bought my service grade M1 from CMP back in 2017. Took about 2 months to arrive but now I have a piece of history. Planning on grabbing a few more with the Criterion barrels when they get back in stock but from what the forums tell the CMP is super backed up due to covid and stuff.

M1's are worth more on the open market than what CMP is selling them for. Many people don't want to go through the paperwork, training hoops, gamble what they are getting, or wait 3 months. Watch the CMP forums where everyone is aware of CMP pricing and see the sale price of mixmaster rifles there.

I recently sold a CMP IHC I aquired a while ago to a member here who said he is ineligible to buy from the CMP. They won't sell to him. The reason I sold it was I purchased a IHC receiver for $850. Who got screwed in those deals? Him for paying $100 over CMP cost or me for paying more for a receiver than a whole rifle? Neither, we both payed less than market price.

I have bought many Garands from CMP and from this forum. Every one I bought off this forum was well over $1000 and was better than most I received from CMP. If you know what you are looking at with Garands, the open market has some real gold nuggets if you are patient.

If you do buy from CMP, don't buy the $650 special field grade or field grades. The condition of the parts and risk of getting heavy pitting is not worth it. The service grades are the best bet. About a third of service grades are real cherries with excellent barrels, interesting history or original stocks. Just don't have your expectations high on getting a cherry.

I love the CMP. The only thing is the wait time. My last Garand took 4 months. Safe space is valuable real estate so that takes some discipline.

I think a lot of people are too lazy to read or fill out forms. Or just impatient. Those people go through life paying premium for everything.

I love the CMP. The only thing is the wait time. My last Garand took 4 months. Safe space is valuable real estate so that takes some discipline.

I think a lot of people are too lazy to read or fill out forms. Or just impatient. Those people go through life paying premium for everything.

For some reason I have the idea that CMP M1s are all pretty good shape? They go through them all to grade them and replace anything terrible. I mean, we're not talking "Royal Tiger Imports" quality in any of these CMP Garand's are we?

As far as those wait times go, I'm reading 6 months from folks on gunboards.com.

Dang, I REALLY want one, and have pondered GunBroker. :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top