JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I tend to keep mine well maintained all the time, so I guess technically that means I clean them before I sell them, a last run over? Eh, not so much, if I've been carrying it I'll do a quick once-over to make sure it doesn't have carry-funk but thats all that usually needs to be done.

I keep my guns clean at all times. I would never sell a gun to someone that wasn't impeccably clean....It shows the potential buyer that you cared for it and treated it well.

On the same note, I would never sell a vehicle that wasn't impeccably clean also, for the same reasons. Some people don't see the importance of proper maintenance whether it be firearms, vehicles, their homes, or their women. :s0114:

Besides keeping my main pistol clean & lubed-oil & TW25B- have also got spare recoil, decocker lever, & trigger bar springs for that occasional tune-up.

I don't trust dirty guns. What's hiding behind all the dirt and residues? corrosion? It's lazy to not keep one's guns clean and to me that reflects in how the gun was maintained overall. Not worth the risk.

Unlike some of you liars (you know who you are ;)), not all my guns are clean all the time. It is my intention to clean them everytime I go shoot them. And from the standpoint of the bore, I do. I clean every bore, every time I shoot. But I don't always clean the carbon off the frame or outside the muzzle on my 1911 or inside the frame on my S&W's.

When I go to sell them, I use what photos I have on hand of them. Sometimes the guns are totally clean, other times they aren't. When I deliver a gun to someone, I certainly make an effort to make them presentable. Two things. First, I don't lie about the condition of my guns. I don't use dirt to cover problems (that's unethical as heck). Second, ALL of my guns get stripped and cleaned when I get them. I assume every other responsible gun owner does the same thing when they get a used gun. That's not an excuse to leave a gun dirty, but it shouldn't matter, as they should be stripped and cleaned whether they look brand new or beat to dirt...

I caught a guy once trying to sell me a Colt Python that had had a bullet stuck in the barrel and a second one fired behind it. Fairly low power target loads so it didn't blow up the barrel. The only way I noticed it is when I shined a bore light down the barrel, I noticed what looked like a ring half way down the barrel. I then lightly ran my finger along the out side of the barrel and felt a bump. If the barrel had been heavily fouled, I never would have noticed it. When I confronted the seller about it he came clean and told me what happened and then tried to convince me to buy the gun anyway and just have Colt put a new barrel on it. :s0002:

I told him where he could stick his Python and left. I guess this is kind of the opposite. I noticed the flaw because the gun was clean.

I sell a gun in whatever condition it is in when I decide to sell it. That way the buyer sees the true condition. Some are safe queens and some are not. I advertise them as they should be and don't lie about round count, etc.

I personally don't want to buy a gun that is worn from over cleaning. Not all guns have the same cleaning requirements. I don't want to buy a trunk gun that someone brilloed all the rust off of and camoflaged with oil.

I like to keep my weapons clean, and I would not want to sell one that is dirty. Like someone said in an earlier response you never know what is hiding behind the "dirt". Let it shine how else can you expect to get what you are asking for. :)

Typically, I clean my guns within a day or two following range use. When I sell one, I do go through it and give it the nice once over. If I need to clean it better, so be it.

From a purely pragmatic point of view, if I'm selling to a private party, the purchaser wants the gun to be clean and well maintained. Although some flaws could be revealed, on the whole the firearm will show better when it is clean.

One of my friends has the bad habit of selling his guns dirty. It's sad because it really does hurt him in the private transactions. People either pass or they just aren't willing to go as high as they would if it showed better as a clean firearm. And the thing is, he knows his guns should be clean when he sells them. He is just lazy about it and it costs him every time.

Would you wash your car before selling it?

Do you leave every piece of garbage and detritus in your car when you try selling it?

No one wants to spend money on a car they are selling. Similarly, no one wants to spend time cleaning up something they're not going to keep. However if it looks filthy, it does affect whether someone really wants it and that affects how much they will pay for it.

In the car business, cars are graded based on their condition and that includes more than just whether or not it runs. A car that is filthy does not show well and it usually is a sign that the owner did not take care of the car properly. Even as a trade-in, it can affect what trade value you'll get from the dealer. An immaculate car that the dealer thinks he can make a quick profit on selling it on the lot can mean more for the owner than some filthy car the dealer plans on dumping at the Manheim car auctions.

A good amount of time, it is left dirty to cover up a problem so the buyer can't see it on quick exam.

I read this a couple times and had to comment.
So you would sell a firearm to someone knowing there is a problem withit?
Maybe I am to honest but no matter what I am selling, a firearm a car tools whatever I will tell a person what I think is good and bad about it.
I am a trusting person and have been scamed a few times and would never do that to someone else.

If you like dirty guns you probably like dirty women. Eventually it will catch up to you. I like to keep my gun clean, lubed, and ready to get dirty when called upon..:s0114:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top