JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've never bought a used firearm that was clean. Some of them ranged from filthy to semi-clean.

This is just one of lifes great disappointments. On the other hand it gives you a good chance to break it down and give it the good cleaning it really needs.

If the dirty firearm bothers you just offer 25% less.

Of the couple I've sold I made a big effort to get the firearms as clean as I could. It sucks but it should be rule rather than the exception.

I read this a couple times and had to comment.
So you would sell a firearm to someone knowing there is a problem withit?
Maybe I am to honest but no matter what I am selling, a firearm a car tools whatever I will tell a person what I think is good and bad about it.
I am a trusting person and have been scamed a few times and would never do that to someone else.

I don't think that he means that he would sell a dirty gun to hide A problem, but that some people do.

i recently took in a ruger mkii in on trade. it was filthy. the bolt was lubed excessively just to get it to move in the thick miasma of powder and lead and lube fouling. there were bits of copper and brass and unburnt gun powder everywhere. it required about two hours to detail strip, clean, lube and reassemble. i was a bit miffed at first, but when i got done i realized, i was going to have to do a detail strip eventialy anyway, i had enjoyed the chalenge of detail stripping a mkii, and i could enjoy many thousand rounds of trouble free shooting.

I would never pay for a dirty gun or car unless it was an amazing deal or I was going to restore it anyway. When I sell something I try to make sure it is immaculate. I guess running a retail store I understand the difference appearence makes. The last time I sold a car the purchaser told me that they bought my car because it was the cleanest they had looked at and they payed asking price. In most cases it takes less than an hour to clean a gun, I just don't understand why you wouldn't do it?

I try to have them clean before selling, but have slipped up a couple of times and ran out of time to do it. I figure it's a nice thing to do, and likely will make the gun more attractive to a potential buyer. At the same time, I don't really expect it from other people and have purchased guns that could use a cleaning.

Unless I've been shooting corrosive ammo, or it's extremely filthy, I rarely ever clean the bore on my guns. A whole bunch of the guns I've bought new have never had the bore cleaned on them, mainly because there's not many rounds through most of them, and they don't need it. I do wipe down the outside of all my guns after shooting/handling them though.

As far as cleaning before selling them, that depends. If it's a cheap gun in bad shape, I don't worry too much. Sometimes I run a patch through it, sometimes I don't. I always wipe them down first though, and I haven't sold any that I would consider "filthy"...they're just not always as clean as they could be.

I'd never try and cover up problems on something I was trying to sell by leaving it dirty either. I always disclose any known problems with anything I sell.

couplea months back I was at a large gunstore, cruising their used long gun racks.. as I always do whilst I'm waiting for a counterman. Found a pretty clean Mauser 8mm, Nazi proofs, all numbers matched, decided to check it out further. Asking price was well under $200.... got the bolt out, the bore had "things" in it... was it pitting, corrosion, old powder flakes, dirt? Magnifying glass and borelight didn't make it clear. I asked the chap if he happened to have a patch or bore brush. He took it in the back, was gone a LONG time... brought it back out, that bore looked almost new!!!! VERY clean, sharp rifling, not a hint of pitting... he'd run a bore brush through it, then followed with oiled patches. I bought it on the spot. Nice weapon. My guess is its former owner brought it in dirty, they didn't even bother to check it carefully, just paid a lowball price for it.... marked it up, and I saw it a couple days later. SO-- I'm glad someone brought it in to sell with a filthy dirty bore. And I didn't even have to clean it!!

I've gotten some other guns on auctions, not cleaned, but when I worked them over, figured the same thing.... it was traded in poorly maintained, and they paid accordingly for it. Once cleaned, most have been near new. Suits me fine. Got my Kahr stainless in .40 for about half the price of a new gun..... powder marks were fairly heavy, but once cleaned, it is in like new condition. My guess: someone bought it, pushed a box or two through it, never cleaned it, and traded it in. Now its mine, and I don't think I could tell the difference between it and a new one. No more powder marks, now.....

so, it works both ways. before I go to sell anything (only done that a couple of times....) I do go over it and make it nice. Makes it look great in the photos, and I find I get top dollar for them that way.

I take my guns apart and give them a wipe down before I shoot, because I usually over lube them for storage. Then they get a thorough cleaning withing 24 hours of being shot. I am really anal about it. I also wipe them down before selling/trading them, just makes sense.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top