JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This has happened to me several times here and it rarely happens to me elsewhere. Someone posts an item for sale, I see the item and there is either no response on the board or the reply is PM sent. I post I'll take it, and it may be a day or 2 later that I find out that it already sold. I would like to see the transactions out in the open, and a way to accomplish this would be instill a "first I'll take it posted, gets it" rule. That way, the person wanting it knows if he gets it, and the seller doesn't have to deal with tire kickers. It will also prevent someone posting an item for a set price, a buyer saying he'll take it, and someone else offering a higher price via PM or E-mail and getting it. That effectively turns this into an auction house. Another member here posted an item for $XXX OBO. I said I'd take it at the full price, but he was holding out for a better offer! Would the ad have been allowed if he listed it as "best offer over $XXX"? Another helpful item would be NO changing of the original ad after it has sold, as removing the price after it sells, or deleting items after selling. That way, there is a price reference that people can use for comparing prices, and, if there are discrepancies between buyer and seller on what was actually listed, it's still there in black and white.
This board has grown at a phenomenal rate, and with growth comes those that will take advantage of the less experienced. I hate rules, but it all needs to be as fair as possible here.

Rant off!
gunluvver

That is a fair rant...

I agree with the "I'll take it" rule...it should be public but some people are afraid of big brother watching what they buy....I have posted "I will take it" for items (not on this board) with lots of 'PM sent" posts to find out a deal was made behind the scene...maybe for a higher dollars than was originally requested...

I also very much agree with being required to leave prices and sale info in the body of the add....it really make it easier to base the value of an item for sale if you can reference a past history of similar items...

I would also like to see a "I'll take it" rule put in effect. The other thing i would like to see is when an item is sold, people actually close the post. I have heard other people complain about this but it is still a problem.

I have to say..I think a person has the right to sell/trade his item to whomever they choose..regardless of where it may be posted.. I'm not really in favor of too many "rules".. I always answer any and all PM's..emails..etc..as soon as I possibly can..so the whole "I was first" thing is rather silly..

And..what if the 1st person to post "I'll take it" is someone you'd rather not deal with..for one reason or another..?

As for privacy..I'm all for it.. It's really noone's buisness who you made the deal with..

And..last..but not least..I've mentioned before..and still feel..that ads should be deleted when the item is sold/traded..not just closed..

Just my :s0159:

I mostly agree with Doubletap, especially about keeping sales info to private messages, though leaving the closed ad up is good to understand the pricing market locally.

Folks should understand that posters often list their for-sale item on multiple boards at the same time. There is no way to know what other offers they are getting outside of this board, or amongst their private friends. Sometimes prices posted here are really LOW due to being in a hurry for a sale, and it should surprise nobody that they might get a higher offer from a knowledgeable buyer not on this board. It is only right that they accept the better offer, even if it is more than posted here. It is also only right that they sell to whom they chose, especially if they know them well, rather than to whoever replies here first.

Posting an "I'll take it" first only works for impersonal auction sites. It is not a contract of sale here on this most personal board--it is just another offer, perhaps among many. There will be many disappointments for buyers, but what matters most is the seller getting the sale that they want.........................elsullo

By posting "PM Sent" that is basicly trying to hold the item "first dibs"

Normally people that don't post "I'll take it" are trying to negotiate a lower price through IMs.

It's pretty simple. If you would like to buy the item for sale....Post "I'll take it" and everyone is happy.

Post "PM Sent" and everyone is confused as to if the item is still for sale or if that means they would like to buy, or maybe it is just signaling the seller that there is a question in their In-Box.

If you don't post "I'll take it" then people will be angry. No way around that.

I'm not a fan of adding rules, but it would be nice if people TRIED to be accommodating to others.

I have to say..I think a person has the right to sell/trade his item to whomever they choose..regardless of where it may be posted.. I'm not really in favor of too many "rules".. I always answer any and all PM's..emails..etc..as soon as I possibly can..so the whole "I was first" thing is rather silly..

And..what if the 1st person to post "I'll take it" is someone you'd rather not deal with..for one reason or another..?

As for privacy..I'm all for it.. It's really noone's buisness who you made the deal with..

And..last..but not least..I've mentioned before..and still feel..that ads should be deleted when the item is sold/traded..not just closed..

Just my :s0159:

I agree 100%, the last thing we need are more rules. Think of it like any other for sale ad.

I agree with doubletap on the keep it private. I believe the key is to make sure and PM the seller as soon as you see the item if you want it. I know the first thing I would check if I was selling would be my PM's.

The bottom line as doubletap said, it is up to the seller who he wants to sell the gun to. That my not seem "fair" but such is life.

The world is too bogged down already with everyones "rules". This should be a simple place for people with a common interest to trade knowledge and goods as they see fit.

I totaly disagree with the "I'll take it" rule and ANY "I'll take it " rule of anykind. I've probably done in excess of 600 FTF gun deals in Washington State since the early nineties. "I'll take it" means squat didalee to me. Then I tell 'em I live in the Ephrata area of Washington State and of course here comes the "Oh, I didn't realize you lived that far". Further, I've had fella's say "I'll take it", I email or PM them back and I never hear from them again.

"I'll take it" doesn't mean squat until you have exchanged some sort communication and have reached an agreement.

I think the agreement is:
seller: "I have this for sale at this price"

buyer: "I'll take it"

There isn't a rule on this, and I don't think there needs to be.

It would be nice if the 40 people looking at the thread know the item is sold, so they don't have to waste their time contacting the seller.

If I post that I have a Mini-14 for sale for $250, I will get 300 IMs unless someone firmly commits in public. Also it will make the buyer look bad if he flakes out or stands up the seller.

Plus 1 from me on leaving the final price of the transaction. One of the goals here was to have a reference for proper value.

I agree with the "I'll take it" rule...it should be public but some people are afraid of big brother watching what they buy....I have posted "I will take it" for items (not on this board) with lots of 'PM sent" posts to find out a deal was made behind the scene...maybe for a higher dollars than was originally requested...

I also very much agree with being required to leave prices and sale info in the body of the add....it really make it easier to base the value of an item for sale if you can reference a past history of similar items...

I would hope that folks check with friends and family prior to posting here. To me when you say "I have this for sale at X" you are in fact making an offer to sell the item. If I say "I'll take it" that would appear to be an acceptance of the offer which would normally be a completed contract. Now I know we aren't running that tightly but that should be the accepted practice barring truly unexpected exceptions.

Folks should understand that posters often list their for-sale item on multiple boards at the same time. There is no way to know what other offers they are getting outside of this board, or amongst their private friends. Sometimes prices posted here are really LOW due to being in a hurry for a sale, and it should surprise nobody that they might get a higher offer from a knowledgeable buyer not on this board. It is only right that they accept the better offer, even if it is more than posted here. It is also only right that they sell to whom they chose, especially if they know them well, rather than to whoever replies here first.

Posting an "I'll take it" first only works for impersonal auction sites. It is not a contract of sale here on this most personal board--it is just another offer, perhaps among many. There will be many disappointments for buyers, but what matters most is the seller getting the sale that they want.........................elsullo

I would hope that folks check with friends and family prior to posting here. To me when you say "I have this for sale at X" you are in fact making an offer to sell the item. If I say "I'll take it" that would appear to be an acceptance of the offer which would normally be a completed contract. Now I know we aren't running that tightly but that should be the accepted practice barring truly unexpected exceptions.

If I have a vehicle for sale and post it online....then go out and drive around and someone offers me cash on the spot...all those posters who say "I'll take it" are out of luck.

I agree it would be nice to have the info left in the thread so that people can reference comparables locally (like in real estate). It shouldn't be required though.

I'm for less rules on the free market. Sometimes life isn't fair.

I'm sorry if I happen to be at work at the perfect gun of all time is listed and I don't have a chance to check every listing during the day and I miss out on it. I guess the forum should add a mandatory wait time on every thread so that I have a "fair" chance to get my offer in. Right.....

I miss out, I'm out. There will be others in the future and I try and get in on the next time around.

I must be one of the few that doesn't have complaints about the Classified section.

I think it comes down to you either have sellers with morals or not.
It shouldn’t matter if you post ‘pm sent’ ‘I’ll take it’ or whatever your manner of letting everyone else know what you are up to.

Myself if I see something I want I will shoot off a pm and may or may not post that I have done that, it’s not up to me to let anyone else know what I may or may not be buying. However I believe it is up the seller to update his post. A simple SPF so others know that a possible deal has been struck but they can still take a number and get in line (and you should as it seems to be a trend for people to flake out lately)

If I have an item I need to sell and I have to post on multiple boards (which is a major pain) I make sure that whoever is the first to make some type of contact and commitment is the person who gets it. And I have sold at a lower price to someone who has gotten in their offer before someone who has come later at the full price.

Again, either you have morals and treat people like you want to be treated or you don’t.
And the people with no morals don’t live by the unwritten rules you and I live by.
And even if you gave them written rules, well you do the math.

AMEN brother, right on step dad. I am with you. It would be nice, polite and considerate, IF SELLERS WOULD KEEP THEIR THREADS & POSTINGS CURRENT.
Posting an item for-sale, no price, or not enough info, not repling timely to inquries, and not responding to emails and pm's should and does cause discontent. If we could leave these people who fail to communicate timely rating info, it could help all.

Maybe we need a "Best Offer over $X" category, where the seller posts a minimum price and we basically bid it up if we want it. The seller would have a set amount of days to accept offers, then would sell it to the best one or withdraw it before the time is up, basically an auction. Wait! We need an Auction Category!

I totaly disagree with the "I'll take it" rule and ANY "I'll take it " rule of anykind. I've probably done in excess of 600 FTF gun deals in Washington State since the early nineties. "I'll take it" means squat didalee to me. Then I tell 'em I live in the Ephrata area of Washington State and of course here comes the "Oh, I didn't realize you lived that far". Further, I've had fella's say "I'll take it", I email or PM them back and I never hear from them again.

"I'll take it" doesn't mean squat until you have exchanged some sort communication and have reached an agreement.
+1, i want to sell/trade/buy with someone once i have spoken with them and decided i want to deal with them. Most people are ok but there are flakes and kooks and i may not want to sell to the person who posts first. It has nothing to do with $$ in my case.

This is my 2 cents....First of all, this is a great site. We need this site.

Regarding the classifieds, I see it more as a market place. People coment on items for sale, bicker about prices, negotiate prices , trade etc...I feel , like I have the right to sell to who I want to sell to. I research prospective buyers if possible, by looking at their trade rating, past posts and threads. This isn't Gunbroker, or Ebay....

However, I have posted adds before with the "First I'll take rule" clearly spelled out. In such cases, I stick to it, and sell to that person who posts the first " I'll take ! "

When I see something I want, and the add says " first I'll take rules the day" my fingers can't type fast enough. Lol ( and usually the thread is closed already and I didn't notice) Lol

I also believe that if you have posted an item for sale in the classifieds, that you should keep the thread updated for example: SPF, Offers on the table, and such.

I've closed my threads while considering offers and replying to PMs, and reopening it with up to date info. That way, I don't get a bunch of PMs that I can't respond right away.

While I do not agree with the idea of the 1st "I'll take it"..automatically being the winner as it were..I do agree with the notion that the poster keep the ad updated..re: pending sales/trades..etc.. What I find most objectionable..are posters who place an ad..and then don't check for messages..or for whatever reason..just don't respond..

I realize it's likely that you may get frivilous..or just plain insulting offers..but I think if you're going to post an ad..you should respond..if for no other reason than to say "No thank you".. And..by the same token..if you post an ad..for crying out loud..check it..daily.. Don't just post it..and forget it..

I still hold my position..that sold/traded items should be deleted.. (Joey..maybe you could make this an option for the poster..) I understand the whole " it helps determine the market" theory..but you may want to keep in mind..that it also helps "track" your activities and your personal inventory..

If you think that the only people using/checking this site..are "true" 2A supporters..you seriously need to think again..

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews