JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd like to offer another suggestion for classifieds - if you post a classified ad, it certainly helps if you are reasonably quick to respond to questions, queries, etc. from interested parties. If I post a classified ad, I'm sure to check in here several times a day so I can respond should someone try to reach me. Generally speaking, if I don't get a response within 24 hours, I'm likely to move on. I've had some folks that got back to me after a week or longer - by that time, I'd spent my money elsewhere.

Some things that will cause me to walk away from an ad, which just reaffirms and supports what @Kruejl posted:

1. Ads with no photos or detailed description of included items and condition. If I see "It's a Glock 19, you all know what it looks like", that's an automatic disqualifier for me. Photos, good photos, from several angles in decent enough lighting that you can make out details, are critical. You don't have to be Ansel Adams, but anyone with a modern smart phone or digital camera can turn out decent photos - if in doubt, get them outside, away from direct sunlight, if you want to have a decently lit photo - inside is about the worst place to take them. Poor description and missing or poor photos - I'll walk.

2. Slow communication or poor communication. Responding back to a detailed question with a one or two word answer will cause me to look elsewhere. Poor communication, I'll walk.

3. Please list a reasonably close location. "Oregon" or "Northern Oregon", for example, are too vague. If I have to waste my time asking if you're at least in the Portland metro area or Roseburg, for example, I'm likely to pass. I don't need your address, but I need to know if you're 1 hour or 6 hours away. No location, good chance I'll walk.

4. Regarding pricing, if it's obvious to most that your item is marked at full retail or higher, and it's not personally engraved by John Browning, I won't bother with your ad. Do a little research and look at similar items - I'm more likely to give you consideration. Over-price, I'll likely walk.

Classifieds were part of the reason I came to NWFA, and for the most part, most folks do a decent job with them. Only a handful that could really use some additional help.

I'll tell you what. I sure hope it's not considered thread crapping when some knowledgeable member posts in the open a correction of information in an ad. I've seen several times when a for sale ad was wrong on a year of manufacture or model #. I don't recall the poster of the ad getting angry, but they ended up thanking the member for the correction, and more informational discussion after the fact was helpful to others.

I'll tell you what. I sure hope it's not considered thread crapping when some knowledgeable member posts in the open a correction of information in an ad. I've seen several times when a for sale ad was wrong on a year of manufacture or model #. I don't recall the poster of the ad getting angry, but they ended up thanking the member for the correction, and more informational discussion after the fact was helpful to others.

I agree, corrections help. I don't think of that as thread crapping. Generally though, if I want to offer a correction, I do it in a PM, just to avoid any chance of being misunderstood as thread crapping.

if you post a classified ad, it certainly helps if you are reasonably quick to respond to questions, queries, etc. from interested parties. If I post a classified ad, I'm sure to check in here several times a day so I can respond should someone try to reach me. Generally speaking, if I don't get a response within 24 hours, I'm likely to move on. I've had some folks that got back to me after a week or longer - by that time, I'd spent my money elsewhere.

I think in some cases 24 hours might be pushing it. Not every one checks in multiple times a day. And people can be busy with work/family For me, I'm here pretty much every morning, and depending on how busy/tired I am may not be back on until the next day. People that don't thrive on discussion forums may not get back within 24 hours, just sayin' Those with ads should check back more than usual though.

I think in some cases 24 hours might be pushing it. Not every one checks in multiple times a day. And people can be busy with work/family For me, I'm here pretty much every morning, and depending on how busy/tired I am may not be back on until the next day. People that don't thrive on discussion forums may not get back within 24 hours, just sayin' Those with ads should check back more than usual though.

True. But it is an issue for me, which is why I listed it as a personal issue. I may be waiting on a response to decide if I'm interested or if I want to move on to something else. I've had folks that took far more than 24 hours to get back. I know not everyone is on here every day, I just make it a habit of checking in more often when I have an active ad going. With many folks having smart phones now, it's pretty easy to take a moment or two to check in from just about anywhere.

I would prefer to it just be a PM. I dont want to have to take 2 pages to explain to someone my Russian AK is really a Russian AK and completely trash the thread

True. But it is an issue for me, which is why I listed it as a personal issue. I may be waiting on a response to decide if I'm interested or if I want to move on to something else. I've had folks that took far more than 24 hours to get back. I know not everyone is on here every day, I just make it a habit of checking in more often when I have an active ad going. With many folks having smart phones now, it's pretty easy to take a moment or two to check in from just about anywhere.

Oh yeah! We've got a smartphone. I don't carry it usually and I never really figured out how to use it. Yes, not smart enough to use our smart phone!

I would prefer to it just be a PM. I don't want to have to take 2 pages to explain to someone my Russian AK is really a Russian AK and completely trash the thread

Well I've found it interesting when I've encountered that situation. If we were to eliminate ALL discussion in the classifieds it would make them pretty dry.

My pet peeve is when folks don't immediately buy my stuff, seeing my item and price and jumping up and down in excitement!

I'm unfortunately one of those folks who have to regularly resist being a thread sheriff. "Let it go" should be my motto!

I'm going to add that I would appreciate a list of definitions to acronyms that might be used in these classified posts, mostly because I live under a rock and want to contribute if even a little to this thread.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top