JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My letter to our local prosecutor--I have no idea whether he is pro or anti-gun, which will probably affect his interpretation, but I would rather face the facts head on and/or make a good faith effort to comply--since I teach about the law in my classes. :)

I'm a little squeamish about getting on their radar, but I gots to know how my fair little business will be affected by this law...:confused:

I don't want to just sit around licking my wounds...;)

Attachments

• I594 Clarification.pdf
    109.1 KB · Views: 598
Monica;

Excellent letter.
Hope you get a response.
Write another similar letter to the WA Atty General.
Send both registered return receipt requested.
After a while you can start asking them where's your answer.

I suspect 594 will go through several revisions to interpret it's intent.

As to your reference (ii)
I suspect the plan is to
register all firearms
Keep them secured at a gov authorized range and storage facility.
The guns will stay there forever.
Identical to Great Britain's gun control
You can own them, you just can't have them.

Surprised they didn't use "authority having jurisdiction"

You also have a bit of leverage most of us don't: YOU can throw down the "War On Women" card, which to me is precisely what ANY attempt to deny the distaff side of the species equal means of self-defense and attendant education regarding same is.

"Why do you want to watch women be MURDERED rather than have the knowledge to effectively defend themselves?" Go for emotional hypodermic needles, and ram the knife in and twist it hard at EVERY opportunity, hoist the Proggofascists by their own petard, I always say... :)

That's actually a good idea...one of our Senators is a friend of ours...he stopped by the other day while my hubby and I were in a local restaurant to say, "I just wanted to stop and see you before you went to prison!" He's such a card...:rolleyes:

Great letter. In addition to your questions I also wonder what
(ii) if the temporary transfer occurs, and the firearm is kept at all times, at an established shooting range authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction in which such range is located;
means. Parts (iii), (iv), and (v) all mention "while". Why the difference in part (ii)?

Ma'am, where my ancestors came from that would be grounds for serving up a knuckleburger... at least a comeback would have been warranted about "what are YOU going to do to try to save the REST of the state from Seattle going Batsh*t Off The Deep End Looneytunes?"

Excellent, well written questions. +1 on sending Certified Return Receipt, that way they can't duck it. Also +1 re CCing all three of your legiscritters... saying much about my own would undesirably narrow ID on my location, but one I've known since we were kids and trust, one I don't particularly and the third I'm actively suspicious of due to a long history of dirty tricks that undoes whatever good they did in their former profession they trumpet about so incessantly at every opportunity. "Yeah, and Josef Mengele called himself 'Doctor' too..."

a great letter. you cornered him really well, just about any response is going to potentially make him look anti-safety, anti-small-business, or anti-women.

Right now, the activist part of me wishes I were a county prosecutor... "It is my belief that this act is Unconstitutional and I cannot in good consequence enforce any law that I do not believe to be Constitutionally legitimate, particularly 'crimes' with no victims when there are plenty of REAL crimes with REAL victims and only limited law-enforcement and prosecutorial resources to cover all of them."

Ditto on the 'well written' - HOWEVER I believe you should forward a copy to the root instigator of this law (and if anybody knows who it is please post the name) I am thinking it might be interesting to hear a response from whoever THAT might be - It was their crack - pipe dream to begin with - lets get some clarification from him/her also.

As if Nazi Nick the Dick and his ilk would deign to respond to a "mere pissant prole"... after all, "sacrifices must be made for the greater good, and you can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs."

Would still be illustrative... maybe send it in as a Letter to the Editor, too, just in case it can slide under the radar and get printed.

My letter to our local prosecutor--I have no idea whether he is pro or anti-gun, which will probably affect his interpretation, but I would rather face the facts head on and/or make a good faith effort to comply--since I teach about the law in my classes. :)

I'm a little squeamish about getting on their radar, but I gots to know how my fair little business will be affected by this law...:confused:

I don't want to just sit around licking my wounds...;)
Good letter, Monica. I haven't studied the measure closely, since I'm in Oregon, but it sounds like it may have some big problems with the way it was written. I'm not a lawyer, but I did go to law school, and I'm sure I could have written a less confusing and confused statute than 594.

Good letter, Monica. I haven't studied the measure closely, since I'm in Oregon, but it sounds like it may have some big problems with the way it was written. I'm not a lawyer, but I did go to law school, and I'm sure I could have written a less confusing and confused statute than 594.

This is not a slam against lawyers, or you, for that matter;), but I think a second grader could have written a less confusing and confused statute...:confused::confused::confused: And yes, I have actually read the entire laborious thing. After around 9 pages of definitions, it descends into madness from there. Idiots, all of them! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

FYI, the WA state AG does not respond to citizen requests. You need to ask your local rep in Olympia to make a request. I imagine prosecutors would follow the AG.

Unfortunately the AG is also anti 2A so I am not optimistic on the response.

I know the opinion of a few Deputy County Prosecutors I've spoken to on this is that they won't even attempt an enforcement. It's almost an unprovable "offense" and would be deeply politically unpopular outside of a few isolated areas.

The recent statement by the head of the State Patrol is also telling.

The problem is, of course, that it's going to make 594's enforcement based on the decisions of individual elected prosecutors. And I have a feeling Jay Inslee will be calling the head of the state patrol onto the carpet soon enough. He'll do as he's told or get fired, plain and simple.

I live in a very "red" part of the state that voted overwhelmingly AGAINST 594. I'm not worried about my local cops, I'm worried about the State Patrol or "sting" operations done by Bloomberg's minions.

I've stopped teaching any class that involves me providing firearms until the transfer language is clarified, essentially putting me out of business for the time being.

The whole background check for sales thing is a minor annoyance to me personally. I get my guns directly from the manufacturer through an FFL anyway. -Don't get me wrong, I'm opposed to the idea, but that part of the law just won't affect me much. I do about one private sale every 3-5 years.

The transfer language is so specific though that unless you have every prosecutor in the state essentially committing to ignoring a key provision of law, it makes the shooting sports simply impossible, which was I think a feature, not a bug in this initiative.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews