JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just received this message this AM.

2018 Initiative Petition #43 Draft Ballot Title Requested

Secretary of State
Elections Division
oregonvotes.gov

Contact: [email protected] | 503-986-1518 | Toll Free 1-866-673-VOTE
Initiative Petition

On April 16, 2018, the Elections Division determined Initiative Petition 2018-043, proposed for the November 6, 2018, General Election, contained the required number of sponsorship signatures (04/16/2018 Signature verification of sponsorship signatures completed. Petition contains 1,539 signatures.) and has requested the Attorney General draft a ballot title.

Subject Provided by Chief Petitioners
Promote Public Safety for All Through the Reduction of Assault Weapons and Large Capacity Magazines

Chief Petitioners
Walter John Knutson, 4526 NE 27th Ave Portland, OR 97211
Michael Z. Cahana, 3139 SW Fairmount Blvd. Portland, OR 97239
Alcena E. Boozer, 5256 NE 48th Ave. Portland, OR 97218

Draft Ballot Title Due from Attorney General
April 24, 2018

More information, including the text of the initiative and number of sponsorship signatures determined to be valid, is contained in the IRR Database available at www.oregonvotes.gov.

Last Edited:
Remind us of how to object to the title.
It sounds like the title is given, but the remaining items are still being created before teh comment period is open. Here is the meat of information from OFF;

After receiving the text of the initiative, the Attorney General prepares a draft ballot title and files it with the Elections Division. A ballot title includes:
 a caption that does not exceed 15 words describing the subject of the petition;
 a statement that does not exceed 25 words describing the result if the petition is passed;
 a statement that does not exceed 25 words describing the result if the petition is rejected; and
 a summary that does not exceed 125 words describing the major effect of the petition.
As you can imagine, it will be virtually impossible for an accurate ballot title and summary to be created given how extreme this measure is.
After the Attorney General creates the title, summaries, and statement registered voters in Oregon will be given an opportunity to comment on the language of the ballot title. There will no doubt be plenty to complain about. The Attorney General has until April 24th to create the title.
When she does, we'll post detailed information on how you can submit your comments. Any registered voter who comments will have standing to appeal the ballot title language in court. You will have until May 8 to submit your comments.

These last couple-few weeks have opened my eyes to see the value of Oregon Firearms Federation.

Now, I know Kevin cannot jump into the nearest phone booth and change into his Super Hero Suit, and save us from the wrath of Baal, but he has been and still is a great conduit for information; information is power!

I've talked with OFF several times regarding activism; I did not like what they said to me, but their advice was correct.

So, I'm gonna stick close to OFF and try to "strap-hang" on the power of their experience; seek and follow their advice on the mode, timing, & content of the actions I should take as Turd #43 & 44 move down the digestive tract...

The correct title for this should be "Oregon Semi Automatic Firearms Ban". If the political buzzword "Assault" doesn't end up being included I would be extremely surprised.

The word "safety" should not appear anywhere in the title or descriptions of this measure. It is not about safety since forcing law-abiding citizens to spend money to register their firearms and pay for background checks will do nothing for safety to anyone, much less to "everyone" as stated in the current title. Because some people will not put up with forced registration and background checks for guns they already own, it is highly likely that there will be shootouts if law enforcement tries to take guns from citizens who fail to register them; thus IP43 is a serious threat to public safety and to law enforcement.

I'd bet that most ARs are owned by the original buyer who went thru a background check when they bought it; thus the government already has all the data on the rifle and the owner.

How many people who own ARs and who could not pass a background check will just keep quiet and keep their guns if this law passes? Answer: all of those people will keep them. Criminals do not follow gun laws.

WHEN should we take action on this ballot title - probably April 24 or 25, right?

I just received this message this AM.

2018 Initiative Petition #43 Draft Ballot Title Requested

Secretary of State
Elections Division
oregonvotes.gov

Initiative Petition

On April 16, 2018, the Elections Division determined Initiative Petition 2018-043, proposed for the November 6, 2018, General Election, contained the required number of sponsorship signatures (04/16/2018 Signature verification of sponsorship signatures completed. Petition contains 1,539 signatures.) and has requested the Attorney General draft a ballot title.

Subject Provided by Chief Petitioners
Promote Public Safety for All Through the Reduction of Assault Weapons and Large Capacity Magazines

Chief Petitioners

Draft Ballot Title Due from Attorney General
April 24, 2018

More information, including the text of the initiative and number of sponsorship signatures determined to be valid, is contained in the IRR Database available at www.oregonvotes.gov.

CHECK THIS OUT ? SOROS BUYS WASHINGTON COUNTY link >

Once a draft title has been provided, any registered voter has the right to submit written comments concerning the draft title to the Secretary of State. Written comments can be as simple as an email.

From ORS 250.035

The ballot title of any state measure to be initiated or referred shall consist of:

(a) A caption of not more than 15 words that reasonably identifies the subject matter of the state measure. The caption of an initiative or referendum amendment to the Constitution shall begin with the phrase, "Amends Constitution," which shall not be counted for purposes of the 15-word caption limit;

(b) A simple and understandable statement of not more than 25 words that describes the result if the state measure is approved. The statement required by this paragraph shall include either the phrase, "I vote" or "vote yes," or a substantially similar phrase, which may be placed at any point within the statement;

(c) A simple and understandable statement of not more than 25 words that describes the result if the state measure is rejected. The statement required by this paragraph shall not describe existing statutory or constitutional provisions in a way that would lead an average elector to believe incorrectly that one of those provisions would be repealed by approval of the state measure, if approval would not have that result. Any thing or action described both in the statement required by paragraph (b) of this subsection and in the statement required by this paragraph shall be described using the same terms in both statements, to the extent practical. Any different terms must be terms that an average elector would understand to refer to the same thing or action. The statement shall include either the phrase, "I vote" or "vote no," or a substantially similar phrase, which may be placed at any point within the statement; and

(d) A concise and impartial statement of not more than 125 words summarizing the state measure and its major effect.

More info

Last Edited:
Just to let people know, it won't be long now before we get our chance to comment on this. They are up to I40 as of today. Here is some of the commnets with instructions they will be using for #43 & #44.

- Example Only -

Comments
Written comments concerning the legal sufficiency of the draft ballot title may be submitted to the Elections Division. Comments will be delivered to the Attorney General for consideration when certifying the ballot title.

Additionally, the Secretary of State is seeking public input on whether the petition complies with the procedural constitutional requirements established in the Oregon Constitution for initiative petitions. The Secretary will review any procedural constitutional comments received by the deadline and make a determination whether the petition complies with constitutional requirements.

To be considered, draft ballot title comments and procedural constitutional requirement comments must be received in their entirety by the Elections Division no later than 5 pm:

Comments Due ____

I passed out @ 8 copies of Form SEL324 at the range today; not one person knew about the process to dispute the title and approach the Oregon S.C.

I didn't know until OFF made it aware to me.....btw, thanks!

3/8 "said" they didn't know about IP43.

6/8 "said" they would file.

8/8 took the copy and "said" they srongly-oppose IP43.

0/8 knew that Face Book blocked OFF's page...

Keep an eye out as today is the day the draft title is due to be released.

Ballot Titles
Subject
(Provided by chief petitioners) (view complete text of Initiative )
Draft Ballot Title (view complete title due: 04/24/2018, or comments Due: 05/08/2018)
** No Draft Ballot Title Found **
Certified Ballot Title
** No Certified Ballot Title Found **
Amended Ballot Title

I passed out @ 8 copies of Form SEL324 at the range today; not one person knew about the process to dispute the title and approach the Oregon S.C.

I didn't know until OFF made it aware to me.....btw, thanks!

3/8 "said" they didn't know about IP43.

6/8 "said" they would file.

8/8 took the copy and "said" they srongly-oppose IP43.

0/8 knew that Face Book blocked OFF's page...

At a gun range? I'm shocked to see that any possible legislation affecting firearms isn't posted.

It's Time to send our comments!

2018 Initiative Petition #43 Draft Ballot Title

Secretary of State
Elections Division
oregonvotes.gov

Initiative Petition

The Elections Division received a draft ballot title from the Attorney General on April 24, 2018, for Initiative Petition 2018-043, proposed for the November 6, 2018, General Election.

Caption
Criminalizes possession or transfer of "assault weapons" (defined) or "large capacity magazines" (defined), with exceptions

Chief Petitioners

Comments
Written comments concerning the legal sufficiency of the draft ballot title may be submitted to the Elections Division. Comments will be delivered to the Attorney General for consideration when certifying the ballot title.

Additionally, the Secretary of State is seeking public input on whether the petition complies with the procedural constitutional requirements established in the Oregon Constitution for initiative petitions. The Secretary will review any procedural constitutional comments received by the deadline and make a determination whether the petition complies with constitutional requirements.

To be considered, draft ballot title comments and procedural constitutional requirement comments must be received in their entirety by the Elections Division no later than 5 pm:

Comments Due
May 8, 2018

Where to Submit
Scan and Email: [email protected]
Fax: 503.373.7414
Mail: 255 Capitol St NE Ste 501, Salem OR 97310

More information, including the draft ballot title and text of the petition, is contained in the IRR Database available at www.oregonvotes.gov.

It's Time to send our comments!

2018 Initiative Petition #43 Draft Ballot Title

Secretary of State
Elections Division
oregonvotes.gov

Initiative Petition

The Elections Division received a draft ballot title from the Attorney General on April 24, 2018, for Initiative Petition 2018-043, proposed for the November 6, 2018, General Election.

Caption
Criminalizes possession or transfer of "assault weapons" (defined) or "large capacity magazines" (defined), with exceptions

Chief Petitioners

Comments

Comments Due
May 8, 2018

Where to Submit
Scan and Email: [email protected]
Fax: 503.373.7414
Mail: 255 Capitol St NE Ste 501, Salem OR 97310

More information, including the draft ballot title and text of the petition, is contained in the IRR Database available at www.oregonvotes.gov.

I'm going down to file a dispute on Thursday; who else is going before the deadline?

One would think that 25,000 people care enough....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top