JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oregon voters can send comments about this ballot title to the Oregon Secretary of State for the next ten days. Keep in mind, your comments must be on the" ballot title " not on the absurd language of the ballot itself.
Comments Due
May 8, 2018
Where to Submit
Scan and Email: [email protected]
Fax: 503.373.7414
Mail: 255 Capitol St NE Ste 501, Salem OR 97310

Oregon voters can send comments about this ballot title to the Oregon Secretary of State for the next ten days. Keep in mind, your comments must be on the" ballot title " not on the absurd language of the ballot itself.
Comments Due
May 8, 2018
Where to Submit
Scan and Email: [email protected]
Fax: 503.373.7414
Mail: 255 Capitol St NE Ste 501, Salem OR 97310

I'll be going Thursday as well.

If anyone can help with the language to dispute this, I'm all ears. I can't just say "It's stupid".

If anyone can help with the language to dispute this, I'm all ears. I can't just say "It's stupid".

I need a little time to think of some options, but I'm guessing they probably won't go for the "Bullsh!t Liberty-Hating, Constitution-Ignoring Gun and Magazine Ban/Confiscation of 2018"

I am going to be submitting these alternatives, which I also posted in another thread about this:

Version 1 most similar to original

"Criminalizes unregistered possession, and all transfer, of "assault weapons" (defined) or large capacity magazines (defined)"

Version 2 more accurate

"Criminalizes unregistered possession, and all transfer of "semiautomatic weapons", or large capacity magazines (defined)

I am trying to keep it close to the original, to be taken seriously. Also, it is challenging to keep it at 15 words.

I am going to be submitting these alternatives, which I also posted in another thread about this:

Version 1 most similar to original

"Criminalizes unregistered possession, and all transfer, of "assault weapons" (defined) or large capacity magazines (defined)"

Version 2 more accurate

"Criminalizes unregistered possession, and all transfer of "semiautomatic weapons", or large capacity magazines (defined)

I am trying to keep it close to the original, to be taken seriously. Also, it is challenging to keep it at 15 words.

This is way more accurate, but according to them, registration is not the only choice we would have. It is the only that would allow us to use or possess our firearms though. Also, you can not register a magazine. How would that even be possible since they are not serialized?

This is way more accurate, but according to them, registration is not the only choice we would have. It is the only that would allow us to use or possess our firearms though. Also, you can not register a magazine. How would that even be possible since they are not serialized?
What about these two:

"Requires registration or surrender of all "assault weapons"(defined) or large capacity magazines"(defined)"

"Requires registration or surrender of all "semiautomatic weapons"or large capacity magazines(defined)"

In place of the word surrender you could use removal or disposal

Here's mine:

"Dear Ms. Rosenblum,

The Draft Ballot Title for IP 43 is misleading by omission and does not adequately sum up the full and far-reaching effects this Initiative Petition could have on hundreds of thousands of law-abiding Oregonians including hunters, hikers, off-duty law enforcement officers, women victimized by domestic violence, and vulnerable populations such as the elderly and mobility impaired. Particularly because of restrictions included in the initiative on how and where firearms that are currently owned can be used, a more accurate title would read 'Criminalizes possession of most semi-automatic handguns, rifles, shotguns, and their magazines; exceptions'.

A voter should not have to read the definition of 'assault weapon', which is quite lengthy in this initiative, in order to understand what this initiative would do; this should be self-evident in the title and 15 words is adequate to accomplish that as I have shown above.

Thank you for your consideration,"

Be sure to include both your first and last name as they appear on your voter's registration.

Last Edited:
Here's mine:

"Dear Ms. Rosenblum,

The Draft Ballot Title for IP 43 is misleading by omission and does not adequately sum up the full and far-reaching effects this Initiative Petition could have on hundreds of thousands of law-abiding Oregonians including hunters, hikers, off-duty law enforcement officers, women victimized by domestic violence, and vulnerable populations such as the elderly and mobility impaired. Particularly because of restrictions included in the initiative on how and where firearms that are currently owned can be used, a more accurate title would read 'Criminalizes possession of most semi-automatic handguns, rifles, shotguns, and their magazines; exceptions'.

A voter should not have to read the definition of 'assault weapon', which is quite lengthy in this initiative, in order to understand what this initiative would do; this should be self-evident in the title and 15 words is adequate to accomplish that as I have shown above.

Be sure to include both your first and last name as they appear on your voter's registration.
That's really good, mind if I use parts of it?

Here's mine:

"Dear Ms. Rosenblum,

Criminalizes possession of non-registered handguns, rifles, shotguns, magazines that hold more than 10 rounds(defined)

I think this is as close as I can get but it still doesn't pass given the following facts. You can't register a magazine (no serial number). Also a pump shotgun with pistol grip or bolt action rifle with threaded muzzle would be considered an assault weapon under I-43 criteria. I am sure there is more that I haven't mentioned as well.

Last Edited:
No matter what you submit to the Secretary of State, regarding the draft ballot title, make certain you sign it (her rules). So if you email your comments, print it out, sign it, scan it and send. Can always mail a signed hard copy too. And if a draft ballot title is proposed make sure it is 15 words or less. Unless, you are on a rant, then that's okay and you may exceed the required maximum words.

We should stop using the term "high capacity magazine". We are getting pretty good about calling out the "Assault weapon" term and it's various emotional definitions. These are not "HIGH CAPACITY MAGAZINES", rather they are "standard OEM issue equipment" necessary to the function of the firearm as intended by the manufacturer.

My first draft

IMG_20180425_174939535_HDR.jpg

I made some changes

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews