JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Second or third for Costco gun safes, I have two of them. One for my long guns, and one for my handguns. My 10 year old boy has Autism so he fixates on certain things, my safes are in a room and I have let him into the gun room often. I inform him what guns can do and how to be careful and diligent around them and why they live in safes.

I have that safe for my long guns, on SALE currently too. I bought a same company smaller safe for $350 on sale for my hand gun collection. Watch online for sales, they are frequent.
For my one necessary handgun for home protection, I use a biometric safe in my closet of my bedroom which is very close to where I sleep. They are great as you just assign your finger prints to the safe and they open instantly. Also a code can be used if the biometric scanner fails. That safe was $90 online.

View attachment 1277713
I followed the provided link and read the reweiws on this safe and the majority are terrible 1 star reviews, there are much better options out there.

I followed the provided link and read the reweiws on this safe and the majority are terrible 1 star reviews, there are much better options out there.
Not to shill for CostCo here. Did not bother to read 700 reviews but this is what it shows :confused:
So what were some of the big negatives some said? As I have LONG said ANY safe beats no safe. For the price on this thing it sure looks like a hell of a good choice to me for someone who has no safe right now. If they have the funds to buy one that costs a lot more? Certainly nothing wrong with that but, if not? This sure "looks" nice.

1663459490431.png

if you can spend $800 on a gun, you can spend $800 on a safe.
Keep in mind that $800 isn't going to buy you an actual safe. It will buy you a Residential Security Container (RSC). Real safes generally run from the mid-thousands on up and generally weigh into the thousands of pounds.

This isn't to say that you can't get some ok protection from an RSC. And most people don't have the kind of money that it takes to buy a real safe. My point here is to make sure you understand the differences between an RSC and a real safe, and exactly how much protection you are getting...and not getting...for your money.

It would be unfortunate if a person bought a $600 CostCo safe (they have their place) and decided to forego firearms insurance because they thought they were getting a lot more security than what they actually got...and then they got that RSC broken into and their guns stolen. There are numerous videos on the YouTube showing how easy it is to get into some RSC's.

Note too, for reference, that a TL-15 or TL-30 rated safe...a real safe...is only designed to keep an experienced thief w/tools, out of it for 15 - 30 minutes. What you are buying really is time. And anything can be broken into if the thief has enough time.

Keep in mind OP, that you can add additional layers of security to the safe. Put the safe inside a bedroom closet and swap the hollow closet door out for a solid core door with a decent deadbolt lock. You can then add a safe monitoring camera (either to the safe or to the closet door), that will alert you on your phone if anyone tries to access the safe.

Keep in mind though that bedroom closets are usually one of the first places thieves check valuables. Perhaps a downside to a safe is that it tells the thief, "all the good stuff is located here."

Remember too that you absolutely want to bolt the safe to the floor.

Theres a difference between childproofing and theft loss. Lets keep in mind that the OPs question is regarding childproofing his guns from his kids. Lots of valuable advice given but hopefully doesnt overwhelm him from his immediate concern at hand.

If you have more than $1000 in value, a safe is the only answer I'd recommend. Especially if any of them cost more that $800. In other words, if you can spend $800 on a gun, you can spend $800 on a safe.

Costco has good quality safes for decent prices. May not be the best in terms of cutting ratings, but as far as child proofing, a good safe should keep kids out.
Costco's best deal on a gun safe:

Theres a difference between childproofing and theft loss. Lets keep in mind that the OPs question is regarding childproofing his guns from his kids. Lots of valuable advice given but hopefully doesnt overwhelm him from his immediate concern at hand.
This is why is is important to teach reading/understanding the actual question. Because there are a lot of answers that are not answering the actual question.

Not to shill for CostCo here. Did not bother to read 700 reviews but this is what it shows :confused:
So what were some of the big negatives some said? As I have LONG said ANY safe beats no safe. For the price on this thing it sure looks like a hell of a good choice to me for someone who has no safe right now. If they have the funds to buy one that costs a lot more? Certainly nothing wrong with that but, if not? This sure "looks" nice.

View attachment 1277927
Relax, the thought of you shilling for Costco never entered my mind, I'm in the market for another safe so I researched the one you posted and here's what I found. It seems that there's ongoing QC problems and getting a response from Cannon takes months leaving people with non functional safes. Yes, Costco will take it for return but you must place it curbside on a pallet. The problems range from non functional electronic key pads leaving some locked out of their safes, locking bolts that don;t lock, non existent fire protection, missing parts, etc, etc, etc.... There are great deals on safes out there but this is not one of them, I'll keep looking.

Don't know about larger canon safes but fwiw I have two pistol size Canon ones that have always worked great. They plug into ac power and have a battery backup. They can be accessed via fingerprint, combination, or with a key. Not sure if they still sell that kind or not.

When I was a kid, my dad told my 2 older brothers and I to NEVER touch any guns that were in the house. We never did because we were taught to respect our parents wishes and our elders. Good southern family values used to mean quite a lot back in the day, not so much nowadays. :(
Plus dad was a special forces, Green Barrett paratrooper and he could've snapped our necks with one Judo chop if he so desired.

I didn't have a safe in my house until the kids flew the coup because I had the same talk with my 2 kids. I then took them out in the woods with a Mellon and 9mm hollow points and said this is what your sister/brother/friends head would look like if you played with a gun, then exploded the Mellon. Too graphic, tough snot.
They learned that papa's guns were dangerous and were only accessible in my presence.

Don't cheap out on your ability to keep your kids safe, bite the bullet and get a safe to store your guns. And get a lock box for your SD gun and you should achieve your goal.
Good luck.

Relax, the thought of you shilling for Costco never entered my mind, I'm in the market for another safe so I researched the one you posted and here's what I found. It seems that there's ongoing QC problems and getting a response from Cannon takes months leaving people with non functional safes. Yes, Costco will take it for return but you must place it curbside on a pallet. The problems range from non functional electronic key pads leaving some locked out of their safes, locking bolts that don;t lock, non existent fire protection, missing parts, etc, etc, etc.... There are great deals on safes out there but this is not one of them, I'll keep looking.
OUCH, now that would be a PITA if the damn thing just died after it was already in the home. Wonder if that's why the price is so damn attractive? It did seem almost too good to be. Sad that a "big name" like that would allow that kind of poor QC to get out to the public. At that price I of course expected it to be made in China but, looks like they are then allowing their name to be put on stuff that is of low quality even for China made stuff. What a damn shame. :(

Do the trigger locks and cables for now.

I saved to get my first "light" quality gun safe. A non insulated Liberty Jefferson (they dont make anymore) But it was around 300lbs and fit young living of renting. (Thus moving now and then). I would stay clear of the junk "safes" that look all safe like but also take seconds to brake into, just watch the videos. Just buy a surplus locker to bolt down, just about as secure as the cheep safes but way lower cost.

When you get more planted just get that more solid safe. As life goes its nice to have a place you can store things you want protected.

BTW: Still have that Liberty Jefferson safe, sucker has easily 2x in value since I bought it in 1996. When I bought my first "real" heavy safe I just kept the old one for general light use for ammo and stuff. (Before ammo and primers became more valuable!)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top