JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was wondering if there were meets here in Oregon. Due to my custody battle my weekends are usually undecided until the week of at this time but I could try working something out. I'd really like to try getting to a meet or shooting with some one who shoots at shorter ranges. This week, Wednesday, I found out I had a week long visit in la grande which later that day I found out was cancelled and turned into 2 nights...somewhat typical. I've certainly been suckered before with airguns so am retaining all these recommendations yet seeing in real life first would be best education. I'm probably going to buy rests first so I can use it with my 270 that I have now while I think about a second gun and work on my shooting and reloading skills. I was going to custom make a rest but that'll never happen. I'll have to googlenet most of the equipment mentioned... I did look up that 40x that was recommended... very nice looking pricey little suckers, I didn't know Remington offered those, I just figured various 700s were their high end.
There are matches at TCGC over summer every Tuesday night and on one or two saturdays a month. There are also different disciplines there the regular shoots are NRA f-class (and variants) but there is formal benchrest once a month. Maybe more. If you're in town Tuesdays you should come watch. Gates close at 6pm. Contact me if you want to come.

There's a 390 dollar 700 at my local Walmart, I think if it was a 22-250 or 223 i'd Unconsciously make excuses that I "need" to go to Walmart. I've read that gunsmiths report the tolerances on their machining is pretty tight but I think most of what I've read is dated and several companies are now up there in really fine tolerance from what I understand to be general consensus.
Savage 12fv at cabelas is $219 on Black Friday with rebate. 22-250, 6.5cm, 308, 223. Mine shoots .2s out of the box with about a month of load development.

I went Remington first but they're crap compared to savages. There's even a pic out there of a factory Remington barrel out there that was rifled twice. Once in each direction. It's like looking down a dna molecule. The Remington QC is just not on.

Also savages you can safely swap barrels at home.

Last Edited:
"Cheapest" is not always cheapest. Trust me, that's the voice of experience speaking. From the insight into your life...if you're into custody battles, that means your wallet has already been tapped, and will continue to be. Best advise would be to go slow and think it out, with the help an experienced mentor..or two. Encouraging to see the offer from Goosebrown. Go to the range...often...and don't be afraid to ask questions...before you buy anything. I grew up in Hillsboro, and it has a wonderful trap range / club...but that's an expensive hobby too. My neighbor, Tom Garrigus, won the silver at Mexico City, because his dad Don started him there as soon as he could hold up a shotgun.

Savage l 12fv at cabelas is $219 on Black Friday with rebate. 22-250, 6.5cm, 308, 223. Mine shoots .2s out of the box with about a month of load development.

I went Remington first but they're crap compared to savages. There's even a pic out there of a factory Remington barrel out there that was rifled twice. Once in each direction. It's like looking down a dna molecule. The Remington QC is just not on.

Also savages you can safely swap barrels at home.
I don't think it can be said enough. Remington QC is gone. When a big corporation is involved it becomes all about pushing out numbers.

Find a Tikka in 7mm-08.

My brother's Superlite, 150 ELDX handloads

IMG_2558.JPG

My Superlite, same recipe but different OAL

IMG_0378.JPG

My T3 Lite Stainless, same load as above

IMG_1750.JPG

Keep in mind the 7mm-08 was developed as a silhouette cartridge.

P

Last Edited:
Find a Tikka in 7mm-08.

My brother's Superlite, 150 ELDX handloads

View attachment 465291

My Superlite, same recipe but different OAL

View attachment 465290

My T3 Lite Stainless, same load as above

View attachment 465289

Keep in mind the 7mm-08 was developed as a bench rest cartridge.

P

What's the velocity? Those are impressive groups. My handloads in my 270win recently shot .46 during first round of load development with a .015 jump from 140gr VLDs at an average of 3060fps, that was at 56.6gr which was the highest I went that round of testing(52.4-56.6), however now that it's fireformed I've got 3 more sets around 57.8grains also I need to try which I'm guessing will shoot the 140s a bit over 3100fps. I also got 3 inside .214 but that was at a low charge and only got 2773fps average with that charge weight. I'm wanting something a little less "bang" then the 7mm-08 and 270win at the moment. More along the lines of a 6xc at the very largest and 223 size/capacity is more like what I'm thinking. Not that I'm a sissy, just want something light and fun to try shooting precision at closer ranges. Right now I'm shooting my 270 at 100 yards roughly and it's a bit overkill and feel ridiculous at times, although I am excited to try some 110v-max and 90gr varminters here soon!

Goosebrown, thank you for that! I will for sure get back to you in advance so you can prepare. This weekend I'm in la grande but that SHOULD free up my next 2-3 weekends.

the 40x is the only Remington worth having really. Very good rifle but I still like savage better.

Remington is a very good rifle but not worth having because savege is better ? The old Remington's ? Model 700s like the police or military uses or the shotguns or the .22lr nylon that ran and ran ? Ok sure.

I admit the new Remington's may be lacking with it's new owners but they have made some very good rifles in the past. Don't let a few bad apples spoil the barrel. I have owned both and am keeping my old Remington's . Savage did little to impress me accuracy wise. They shot ok for the money. In my experience.

The Remington 700 is the SBC (small block Chevy) of bolt action rifles.
More hot rod parts for that than any other action, much to the chagrin of the "other" action fanbois.
A 40X would be a great way to get started.

They shoot and they look nicer while doing it.
Damn, those Savages are fugly.

:D

What's the velocity? Those are impressive groups. My handloads in my 270win recently shot .46 during first round of load development with a .015 jump from 140gr VLDs at an average of 3060fps, that was at 56.6gr which was the highest I went that round of testing(52.4-56.6), however now that it's fireformed I've got 3 more sets around 57.8grains also I need to try which I'm guessing will shoot the 140s a bit over 3100fps. I also got 3 inside .214 but that was at a low charge and only got 2773fps average with that charge weight. I'm wanting something a little less "bang" then the 7mm-08 and 270win at the moment. More along the lines of a 6xc at the very largest and 223 size/capacity is more like what I'm thinking.

2790 for the 150 ELDX.

If you want to go 140 Partition, you can get 2880 and groups like this:

T3 Lite stainless:

IMG_0394.JPG

T3 Superlite

IMG_0549.JPG

But if you just want to have fun and shoot a lot, may I suggest a T3 in .223, with either 50 TTSX or BT Varmint

IMG_0768.JPG

They both shoot about the same size groups. The BT are 3400 fps.

P

Remington is a very good rifle but not worth having because savege is better ? The old Remington's ? Model 700s like the police or military uses or the shotguns or the .22lr nylon that ran and ran ? Ok sure.

I admit the new Remington's may be lacking with it's new owners but they have made some very good rifles in the past. Don't let a few bad apples spoil the barrel. I have owned both and am keeping my old Remington's . Savage did little to impress me accuracy wise. They shot ok for the money. In my experience.
I could be more specific. I have old remmy experience in the 80s and 90s and they were fantastic. The 700 police from about 1990 was as good as my Steyr SSG69 which is saying a lot. It even gave a run against a really nice MacMillan a friend had.

In 2008 I bought two 700SPS varmints. Getting them tuned required replacing EVERYTHING on the rifles. 18 months. Random results. Utter BS. Result was meh. Friends had same problems.

Now I'm into benchrest and looking around me and there are no Remington's. Or few. Lots of surgeons and bats which I guess are remington derived. What there is stock is savages and builds off savages. There are at least four savage actions, the 10, 110, 16 (all related) and the 12. In the 12 they have RH and LH single shot actions which are rock solid. They also have a separate recoil lug which is replaceable with a blueprinted piece. The trigger is very good on the target versions of the action.

There are few aftermarket triggers but the one I know of is excellent and the stock one is good.

Best of all is easy barrel swaps with easy, reliable head spacing. For most folks you get 1-2 years on a barrel if you shoot competition. Sometimes less depending on caliber. Barrels are from $300-450.

I personally like my savage stock. I have a 12 Benchrest and it has a 3.5" forend. Absolutely flat which slides on my rest perfectly. I am going toward free recoil so stability of the rifle is super important. That flat forend is vital. If the guys here don't have that, they get a machined aluminum blocks to screw into the existing forend.

You can build this all up of course on a Remmy. I'm just soured on them. Like I saw I got a stock savage 12fv with Tupperware stock for peanuts and it shoots great. I know though that I can swap out the barrel for a competition barrel and pull it in tighter.

OP. If you're tight on money in a custody battle I'd spend in this order:
1. Optic. You want a target or tactical reticle if you want to shoot over 300. $800-$1200 or more.
2. Rifle. $300-1500
3. Front rest. $225 Caldwell fire control
4. Back rest. $175 Edgewood gatorbag

Reloading is necessary. You can't use factory really. Reloading is going to cost. But at a minimum dies $100. Press $100. Priming tool $50. Misc trays, etc. $100.

If you want to get good you need access to a case annealer or to get one. $300-1100. And case turning equipment. $150. K&m precision shooting.

Other guys will have other experiences. Talking is a great thing to do and asking questions.

This is mostly a brain dump. And Remington's are not bad I've just been soured on them and I've never picked up a savage, and I own five now, that didn't shoot half an inch or better at 100

Last Edited:
I could be more specific. I have old rummy experience in the 80s and 90s and they were fantastic. The 700 police from about 1990 was as good as my Steyr SSG69 which is saying a lot. It even gave a run against a really nice MacMillan a friend had.

In 2008 I bought two 700SPS varmints. Getting them tuned required replacing EVERYTHING on the rifles. 18 months. Random results. Utter BS. Result was meh. Friends had same problems.

Now I'm into benchrest and looking around me and there are no Remington's. Or few. Lots of surgeons and bats which I guess are tmremington derived. What there is stock is savages and builds off savages. There are at least four savage actions, the 10, 110, 16 (all related) and the 12. In the 12 they have Rh and LH single shot actions which are rock solid. They also have a separate recoil lug which is replaceable with a blueprinted piece. The trigger is very good on the target versions of the action.

I owned the .223 Weather warrior 116 action. The rest were a shotgun and 4 rimfire in various calibers. They never failed me but my CZs 452s out shot the rimfire Savages and my White Oak AR beat the .223 Savage accuracy wise. And I tried various weights and combinations but it just shot good not great.

I'm over 50 and have hunted with Remington's and shot them since a very young age. And have owned 2 older 700s and now have a 512 Sportsmaster and a Older Wingmaster and a 6mm Rem 700 bdl . Anyways I can't remember any problems with Remington's growing up and still using them. The new Remington's are nothing like the old and admit it rubs me wrong hearing all Remington's are junk. It seems to be a common theme. Even among seasond shooters.

Thanks for the explanation. :)

Under $1500 should easily get you to 600-1000 yards.
In a basic easy to find caliber.

Only problem is to get mote accurate you should reload.
But even a cheap single stage press won't set you back much.

Any of the top rifle manufacturers can get you a rifle to hit 600 yards.
But a cheaper rifle, nicer scope, and practice, practice, practice.

You can upgrade the scope, trigger, barrel, stock, etc down the road and in stages

I could be more specific. I have old remmy experience in the 80s and 90s and they were fantastic. The 700 police from about 1990 was as good as my Steyr SSG69 which is saying a lot. It even gave a run against a really nice MacMillan a friend had.

Now I'm into benchrest and looking around me and there are no Remington's. Or few. Lots of surgeons and bats which I guess are remington derived. What there is stock is savages and builds off savages. There are at least four savage actions, the 10, 110, 16 (all related) and the 12. In the 12 they have RH and LH single shot actions which are rock solid. They also have a separate recoil lug which is replaceable with a blueprinted piece. The trigger is very good on the target versions of the action.

There are few aftermarket triggers but the one I know of is excellent and the stock one is good.

Best of all is easy barrel swaps with easy, reliable head spacing. For most folks you get 1-2 years on a barrel if you shoot competition. Sometimes less depending on caliber. Barrels are from $300-450.

I personally like my savage stock. I have a 12 Benchrest and it has a 3.5" forend. Absolutely flat which slides on my rest perfectly. I am going toward free recoil so stability of the rifle is super important. That flat forend is vital. If the guys here don't have that, they get a machined aluminum blocks to screw into the existing forend.

You can build this all up of course on a Remmy. I'm just soured on them. Like I saw I got a stock savage 12fv with Tupperware stock for peanuts and it shoots great. I know though that I can swap out the barrel for a competition barrel and pull it in tighter.

OP. If you're tight on money in a custody battle I'd spend in this order:
1. Optic. You want a target or tactical reticle if you want to shoot over 300. $800-$1200 or more.
2. Rifle. $300-1500
3. Front rest. $225 Caldwell fire control
4. Back rest. $175 Edgewood gatorbag

Reloading is necessary. You can't use factory really. Reloading is going to cost. But at a minimum dies $100. Press $100. Priming tool $50. Misc trays, etc. $100.

If you want to get good you need access to a case annealer or to get one. $300-1100. And case turning equipment. $150. K&m precision shooting.

Other guys will have other experiences. Talking is a great thing to do and asking questions.

This is mostly a brain dump. And Remington's are not bad I've just been soured on them and I've never picked up a savage, and I own five now, that didn't shoot half an inch or better at 100

I researched the equipment listed on the thread here and don't think I need to jump over to accurateshooter for further help on this topic just yet, plus I have a couple threads over there already, don't want to over do it. That fire control rest looks good, I think that's on my list up next. I checked out the TCGC and re-read your post, they meet on Tuesdays and a couple other times a month... I think I would like to come check it out within a week or 2, will let you know when I figure out exactly. I'm assuming the meets would be in Sherwood? This is a side note but I still have no idea if there is a difference between benchrest shooting and free recoil benchrest nor can I find info pertaining to it. I see free recoil videos and all I can say is that my gun DOES NOT look like that when it recoils...

I checked out the TCGC and re-read your post, they meet on Tuesdays and a couple other times a month... I think I would like to come check it out within a week or 2, will let you know when I figure out exactly. I'm assuming the meets would be in Sherwood? This is a side note but I still have no idea if there is a difference between benchrest shooting and free recoil benchrest nor can I find info pertaining to it. I see free recoil videos and all I can say is that my gun DOES NOT look like that when it recoils...
Sherwood. At 6 every Tuesday. And 8am every third saturday. Have to be early they shut the gate sharp on time.

Benchrest is the general class of shooting and specific to shooting repeatable tight groups at various ranges. What we do is NRA F class and recreational benchrest. There is real benchrest there too if you get good.

Free recoil is a technique where you line your shot then touch the rifle only with your trigger finger. No cheek weld. No cradle in the shoulder.

This works best with lower recoil cartridges in heavier guns. I haven't weighed mine but it is right around 16lbs.

Sherwood. At 6 every Tuesday. And 8am every third saturday. Have to be early they shut the gate sharp on time.

Benchrest is the general class of shooting and specific to shooting repeatable tight groups at various ranges. What we do is NRA F class and recreational benchrest. There is real benchrest there too if you get good.

Free recoil is a technique where you line your shot then touch the rifle only with your trigger finger. No cheek weld. No cradle in the shoulder.

This works best with lower recoil cartridges in heavier guns. I haven't weighed mine but it is right around 16lbs.
What range do you normally shoot? I'm having a hard time finding range distance out with regards to shooting sports. If some one built a sub 600 yard gun would they be able to use it often or is it better to just build a 1000 yard gun so you're able to shoot matches regardless of what the event is? I'm having a hard time figuring out if the ranges change each time or they stay the same so you know what you're getting into, I assume a match coordinator contacts you ahead of time but it will change per month. I'm thinking just get a sub 600 gun and keep my 270 for longer and slowly upgrade it to be competitive. Perhaps even migrate to another 270 chambering eventually, just to be stubborn.

Last Edited:
the 40x is the only Remington worth having really. Very good rifle but I still like savage better.
Your inbox is full. I tried to PM you. I have an obligation every other Tuesday but could change that in the future. That being said, this Tuesday I've got that appointment but I think I'd like to come down and check it out next week if that week works for you. If not then let me know and I can try to move my obligation around so I have more then 2 available Tuesdays per month.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top