JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'd like to start mentally putting together something for benchrest or some type of competition shooting that doesn't involve too much running around. I'm wondering how much a project like that would cost initially... If you have any recommendations for inexpensive yet quality items please let me know. I'm wondering about actions, chambering, trusted gunsmiths, scopes, gun rests, etc. I'm undecided on cartridge at the moment but I'd like something that's not a barrel burner and good for sub 300 yards but maybe out to 6 but no further then that. convienince plays a part too, so I'd rather shoot a 243AI and have the benefits of it's commercial popularity versus something like a 6 dasher that might give me some added problems, not saying a no-go but certainly a factor. Right now, spitballing, I'm thinking a BAT action (top choice but hoping for something cheaper), Kelby KLP stock(I like that style, not set on that stock), pac-nor or another top barrel maker, and whatever scope is recommended to me as I know NOTHING about scope quality and what to look for and have a hard time learning that aspect.

Last Edited:
There are many "off the shelf" rifles that will do nicely. As mentioned, Tikka's are 1/2 MOA rifles. Savage and even the Ruger American can be had even cheaper. As far as glass, I'd stick with Leupold or Vortex. I have several of each and have been quite pleased. For the money, a Vortex Viper is tough to beat.

.308 as there's plenty available so there'll be relatively cheap options. Savage is the way I'd go for a budget.

As for glass, Vortex for the best bang for the buck. Unless you want to spend extra, in which case SWFA HD scopes are great for the money. Otherwise, stick to Vortex.

At the distances mentioned I would recommend 223, 6.5 Grendel, or perhaps 224 Valkyrie.

If you want bigger, 308 or 6.5 creedmore.

Bolt action or semi.

Primary arms has great budget friendly optic offerings. Worth looking at. I own a couple of their scopes and love them.

I'll agree with the above, Leupold or Vortex will also be great for what your looking at.

Ask this at 6mmBR.com

I don't see the answers you are looking for here, at least not yet anyhow.

Get a good Leupold bench rest target scope in 24x to 36x magnification with parallax adjustment and very fine crosshairs. Sounds like you are on the right track for the other components of your rifle build.

Ask this at 6mmBR.com

I don't see the answers you are looking for here, at least not yet anyhow.

Get a good Leupold bench rest target scope in 24x to 36x magnification with parallax adjustment and very fine crosshairs. Sounds like you are on the right track for the other components of your rifle build.

He asked for the most affordable. I think we are doing ok with the answers provided. A Leupold in 24-36 isn't anywhere near the ballpark of "affordable". :rolleyes:

And at 600 as he claims is the longest he'll shoot, you don't need to spend thousands to get there. :rolleyes:

AB6D2CB8-0EA3-4018-9F92-DF4E713DC508.png Good clean used Remington 40X with quality scope can be bought for a little over 1000.00 ready for the range. They are still the class of the bench and come in many calibers. They are built from the ground up for your intended purposes.

Last Edited:
Ask this at 6mmBR.com

6mmbr.com. Great advice.

Savage is competitive out of the box. More so than the others in my opinion.

243ai is not commercially available and for those ranges it's not efficient. 6mmbr is a great actually. You don't need a dasher. That additional case capacity would be good tor 600+.

223 diameter is good in a larger case that can push the 70+ grain bullets. 22-250ai. 22BR.

243 (6mm) has a better ballistic coefficient than the 223s for the most part.

Like the leupold suggestion but it's really the wrong reticle. Thin crosshairs are not going to cut it at range. You need well thought out stadia with milrads or MOA marks. You're going to have spotters for your first shots and if you have stadia you can calculate exactly the correction you need to make or the exact hold over and windage you need.

For the money I like the Burris f class 40x. Most people start on vortex scopes and they're great. Night force is excellent but more money. Try other people's scopes. For under 600 where you aren't going to get the bigger elevation and windage a fine crosshair is maybe ok.

Spend on a good rest front and back. Edgewood rear rests from $150-300 are fantastic. Caldwell's are not good enough.

For a front rest the SEB but they're too expensive for me. I have and love my Caldwell fire control which is perfect to start benchrest.

reloading. Start with LE Wilson dies and a k&m precision shooting arbor press.

Look for loads on 6mmbr.com. (They cover all the calibers not just 6mm)

If you want to come to the benchrest meets at TCGC let me know.

Again, he asked for "cheapest" to 600. Wildcats need not apply. Neither does a bunch of gear and crap meant for twice that range. Just my opinion. A Ruger American in 6.5 CM, 308 or 7mm with a Vortex optic at 12X can hit a grand all day long.

6mmbr.com. Great advice.

Savage is competitive out of the box. More so than the others in my opinion.

243ai is not commercially available and for those ranges it's not efficient. 6mmbr is a great actually. You don't need a dasher. That additional case capacity would be good tor 600+.

223 diameter is good in a larger case that can push the 70+ grain bullets. 22-250ai. 22BR.

243 (6mm) has a better ballistic coefficient than the 223s for the most part.

Like the leupold suggestion but it's really the wrong reticle. Thin crosshairs are not going to cut it at range. You need well thought out stadia with milrads or MOA marks. You're going to have spotters for your first shots and if you have stadia you can calculate exactly the correction you need to make or the exact hold over and windage you need.

For the money I like the Burris f class 40x. Most people start on vortex scopes and they're great. Night force is excellent but more money. Try other people's scopes. For under 600 where you aren't going to get the bigger elevation and windage a fine crosshair is maybe ok.

Spend on a good rest front and back. Edgewood rear rests from $150-300 are fantastic. Caldwell's are not good enough.

For a front rest the SEB but they're too expensive for me. I have and love my Caldwell fire control which is perfect to start benchrest.

reloading. Start with LE Wilson dies and a k&m precision shooting arbor press.

Look for loads on 6mmbr.com. (They cover all the calibers not just 6mm)

If you want to come to the benchrest meets at TCGC let me know.

I was wondering if there were meets here in Oregon. Due to my custody battle my weekends are usually undecided until the week of at this time but I could try working something out. I'd really like to try getting to a meet or shooting with some one who shoots at shorter ranges. This week, Wednesday, I found out I had a week long visit in la grande which later that day I found out was cancelled and turned into 2 nights...somewhat typical. I've certainly been suckered before with airguns so am retaining all these recommendations yet seeing in real life first would be best education. I'm probably going to buy rests first so I can use it with my 270 that I have now while I think about a second gun and work on my shooting and reloading skills. I was going to custom make a rest but that'll never happen. I'll have to googlenet most of the equipment mentioned... I did look up that 40x that was recommended... very nice looking pricey little suckers, I didn't know Remington offered those, I just figured various 700s were their high end.

700s are pretty cheap too... But IMHO unless you're wanting to go from a receiver and spend time and money getting the perfect build I'd just go savage or something for a factory rifle.

The big thing with the Remington 700, IMHO, is you can build an amazing rifle from a receiver.

700s are pretty cheap too... But IMHO unless you're wanting to go from a receiver and spend time and money getting the perfect build I'd just go savage or something for a factory rifle.

The big thing with the Remington 700, IMHO, is you can build an amazing rifle from a receiver.

There's a 390 dollar 700 at my local Walmart, I think if it was a 22-250 or 223 i'd Unconsciously make excuses that I "need" to go to Walmart. I've read that gunsmiths report the tolerances on their machining is pretty tight but I think most of what I've read is dated and several companies are now up there in really fine tolerance from what I understand to be general consensus.

There's a 390 dollar 700 at my local Walmart, I think if it was a 22-250 or 223 i'd Unconsciously make excuses that I "need" to go to Walmart. I've read that gunsmiths report the tolerances on their machining is pretty tight but I think most of what I've read is dated and several companies are now up there in really fine tolerance from what I understand to be general consensus.
Their quality control is spotty. Can't help but think that when a big corporation becomes involved the QC goes down. o_O

For a serious budget build that can grow with you and not break the bank, the Savage 10 series are impossable to beat for any beginner! Get one of the 10 series with out the detachable mag and install a single shot follower! Shoot several matches and then figure out stock options as you go. For optics, this is always where the biggest chunk of change should be applied, the Vortex optics would be excellent for getting started and keeping the total budget with in reason! I also recommnd starting out in F- class and learning your rifle while getting really good feedback!

Seeing how you mentioned a BAT action ( no not cheap but they last forever) and a Pac Nor barrel, that happens to be a favorite of mine. 28" Pac Nor chambered in .243 Ackley Improved.
I started out with a cheap Tasco Benchrest 30x, kept and eye out at gun shows and ended up picking up an older 40x Leupold ($200) and had them install a mill dot reticle for $75. While they did the reticle they went thru it and made sure all was good inside. It makes little tiny holes way out there.

Again, he asked for "cheapest" to 600. Wildcats need not apply. Neither does a bunch of gear and crap meant for twice that range. Just my opinion. A Ruger American in 6.5 CM, 308 or 7mm with a Vortex optic at 12X can hit a grand all day long.
None of that will get you to benchrest which is what he asked.

Anyway he was talking custom actions in the OP.

wildcats are no more expensive to reload than any other ammo and no factory ammo is capable of benchrest accuracy.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top