JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok, nobody says that. You all are going to laugh at me, but I just thought I'd tell a humorous story on myself.

20+ years ago, late '90s as I recall, I bought an old project L1A1 (inch-pattern FAL). Somewhere along the line shortly thereafter, I bought a bunch of L1A1 magazines mail-order. They were ratty old but very usable magazines, maybe $5 each as I recall. When I got them, I found that one of them was missing the front lug, snapped clean off. I called and they sent me a replacement right away. I never throw anything away that might be usable, so of course I kept it.

Fast forward a couple decades, and I'm at a swap meet last weekend (Great Oregon Steam-Up, any fans here?) Digging through a box of odds and ends, I find a brand new GI L1A1 magazine body, $5. When I got home, I started digging through boxes in the garage. Believe it or not, I found the old magazine, swapped out the innards, and have a new magazine!

Was it worth hanging onto a piece of junk for twenty years in hopes that one day I'd find what I needed to fix it? Of course not, but I did anyway. :)

Being cheap isn't a necessarily a bad thing. I "bank" spare parts. I have a few boxes of screws, scope rings, mags, sights, holsters etc that I keep around for projects, trading fodder or selling to fund other firearms or related items. Lots of it for guns I don't own anymore. A few nights ago I was able to scope two rifles from the spare parts I had laying around. This stuff can sit around for a few years, but I'm always glad to have it when the need arises

I have a Bren Ten magazine that's been waiting for a gun for almost 25 years now.
I have a couple of original Bren MG magazines that have been laying around for two or three decades. Somehow I don't think I'll ever get to use them, short of winning the lottery. :)

Back before the bans went into effect in the PRK in 2001 I bought magazines for guns I didn't own such as FAL and HK-91. I sat on those for 18+ years till I moved up here and bought a PTR-91 and gave the FAL mags to a pal. I keep a lot of gun stuff because of impending bans or taxes or ATF regulation changes. There have been parts I've had stashed for years that I suddenly needed and miraculously found.
I say keeping stuff is prudent.
It's better than admitting I'm a hoarder :confused:

A lot of gun guys are cheap....as in when you are at a gun show and the attitude of what I am selling is gold...and what you want to trade for it is sh!t.

Or the classic nit picking of every little ding in the wood stock , wear spot in the bluing...etc...just to get a gun that is at a fair price already , for a lesser price.
Those guys are cheap.

As far as holding on to parts and the like...
If you have room for them...and a use , why not.
Even if you don't have a use , now....you may in the future or know someone who does.

I once made a percussion pistol out of spare parts I had in the shop...
The only item that was bought new was the trigger guard.
That was a fun project , that made use of old and antique parts that were just laying around.
Andy

Nothing wrong with being thrifty, just shows you've the intelligence to not waste money or toss anything that's usable.

I just made a new firing pin spring, for my 1890s Davenport shotgun, from a cut down spring that I had in my mayonaise jar filled with random gun springs. I don't toss old parts, I just sort them and stick them in a bin.

I don't know if it's so much being cheap, as it is being a junk man . I have the junk man gene . I try to fight it, but it's usually a losing battle. I understand your euphoric score after holding the mag guts for decades, and finding a body for them. I'm sure you've had the opposite experience too . Finally getting rid of something from your stash, and then needing it a few months later.

I've got an HK USP40c magazine that l bought accidentally for my big USP40.

Jonny... you know what to do.
Find a USP40c to put it in.

The one l found was locked-down in Big Gretch Whitmer's Michigan 'Rona gulag (this was March or April 2020) and l failed to get an answer to my calls and emails so the deal never happened. I'll try again.

Following that acquisitions model, l need to get a Beretta 92 or M9, an AK, several models of 3rd Gen S&W autos, a few 1911s, a P14, and a few other guns that l haven't identified yet. I do love a bargain, even if l don't know what it is.

Now, let's talk about that big box of orphaned holsters...

Being of Scottish decent, we like to call it frugal. I've got bins of gun stuff and motorcycle stuff, and just stuff. The fastest way to find some sort of doo-dad that I need for a project is to order two more and put the extra away generally right next to the one I couldn't find in the first place.

Ok, nobody says that. You all are going to laugh at me, but I just thought I'd tell a humorous story on myself.

20+ years ago, late '90s as I recall, I bought an old project L1A1 (inch-pattern FAL). Somewhere along the line shortly thereafter, I bought a bunch of L1A1 magazines mail-order. They were ratty old but very usable magazines, maybe $5 each as I recall. When I got them, I found that one of them was missing the front lug, snapped clean off. I called and they sent me a replacement right away. I never throw anything away that might be usable, so of course I kept it.

Fast forward a couple decades, and I'm at a swap meet last weekend (Great Oregon Steam-Up, any fans here?) Digging through a box of odds and ends, I find a brand new GI L1A1 magazine body, $5. When I got home, I started digging through boxes in the garage. Believe it or not, I found the old magazine, swapped out the innards, and have a new magazine!

Was it worth hanging onto a piece of junk for twenty years in hopes that one day I'd find what I needed to fix it? Of course not, but I did anyway. :)
We do Antique Powerland ever year. The flea market is the best part There's not much gun stuff there though. Saw the same 13YO powder($40.00) and cracked rifle stocks that were there two years ago. But I sure pore through all of that rusty dirty cool stuff. A few years ago I did find a like new set of S&W N-frame wood grips. I happened to have a S&W 629 at home with Pachmayr's on it.

I've got an HK USP40c magazine that l bought accidentally for my big USP40.

Jonny... you know what to do.
Find a USP40c to put it in.

The one l found was locked-down in Big Gretch Whitmer's Michigan 'Rona gulag (this was March or April 2020) and l failed to get an answer to my calls and emails so the deal never happened. I'll try again.

Following that acquisitions model, l need to get a Beretta 92 or M9, an AK, several models of 3rd Gen S&W autos, a few 1911s, a P14, and a few other guns that l haven't identified yet. I do love a bargain, even if l don't know what it is.

Now, let's talk about that big box of orphaned holsters...
If your list reflects mags you own, with no guns to feed , you might have options. That stack of US surplus m9 mags will run in at least 3 Chiappa products, including a 9mm m1 carbine tribute that I've been considering.
Your AK mags can also be used as a non lethal Chinese throwing star.

To the point of buying a bargain just for the bargain price: I'm on my way to pick up a 1911 that I got for no reason beyond the price. As a bonus, it's got a weird cool feature that makes no sense.

Being of Scottish decent, we like to call it frugal. I've got bins of gun stuff and motorcycle stuff, and just stuff. The fastest way to find some sort of doo-dad that I need for a project is to order two more and put the extra away generally right next to the one I couldn't find in the first place.
Brother!!

I have so much stuff in the way that I don't even look anymore. Go directly to the hardware store and repurchase whatever items I need, use once, throw on pile.

This is hoarding:

1627571178170.png

This is Collecting/Storing:

1627571287765.png

The moral of the story is....buy/build some damn shelves and you're good.

To the point of buying a bargain just for the bargain price: I'm on my way to pick up a 1911 that I got for no reason beyond the price.
I have a ParaUSA Expert in 9mm that l bought a few Black Friday sales ago... sale price+$100 MIR put it in my hot little hands for about $350 BNIB.

Wasn't even on my radar.
I was all-in for the price, but l kept it cuz it was just plain fun.

I've looked (HARD) at the Chiappa "M1" carbines, seemed like a no-brainer. But reviews are, uh... unfavorable.
A Marlin Camp Carbine was on my list too until l got a load of used prices on GB. Wow.

I have to every few years go through and cull. If not I would be over the top with "stuff". I am forever saving parts from stuff I no longer have. Just sure if I toss it I will later need it. Now and then I do find something I need in those bins of junk that sure comes in handy. I did have to laugh at the one comment on holsters. The first time I tried Ebay it was great for that. I used to keep a couple boxes of holsters that never worked for me. Did not know what the hell to do with them and did not want to toss them. After I sold them all I started using them to buy when I wanted to try something new. Often could find a used one and much cheaper price. If that one did not work for me it went back up. Some holsters probably go through several owners till they land with someone who uses them :D

I have a ParaUSA Expert in 9mm that l bought a few Black Friday sales ago... sale price+$100 MIR put it in my hot little hands for about $350 BNIB.

Wasn't even on my radar.
I was all-in for the price, but l kept it cuz it was just plain fun.

I've looked (HARD) at the Chiappa "M1" carbines, seemed like a no-brainer. But reviews are, uh... unfavorable.
A Marlin Camp Carbine was on my list too until l got a load of used prices on GB. Wow.
Chiappa stuff is borderline junk.
It's got the look. And I, also, bought m9 mags for $2 and change in quantity.
Well used, but 2 bucks?? Couldn't help myself.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top