JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I started shooting at 600 yards with a Sightron SII Target scope. Good glass for the money. Recommend Savage off the shelf rifle in 6mmBR
The scope is the toughest part for me to discern. Way too many options and reviews can sometimes not be helpful to me as it's all so relative. I just want to be able to see what I'm shooting at 600. My scopes now I can barely shoot at 100. I think some one else might recommend the savage 12 6mmbr on this thread too lol....

When you come out with us ask to look through the scopes. I'll show you what I like about mine and what you want or need will become obvious. Then you can match the features with what you can afford

The scope is the toughest part for me to discern. Way too many options and reviews can sometimes not be helpful to me as it's all so relative. I just want to be able to see what I'm shooting at 600. My scopes now I can barely shoot at 100. I think some one else might recommend the savage 12 6mmbr on this thread too lol....

What sold me on the scope was trying one.

If you find yourself in the Vancouver Area, I have a Sightron SII 36x42mm fixed power scope you can test out for yourself. I've shot out to 800yrds with it, but that was a stretch. I was finally able to upgrade my optics to a nice NightForce scope, so I'm not using the Sightron at this time.

Yes I know they do, that is my route I'm just waiting for the LH model but it isn't the cheapest one, that Ruger's forte.
Honestly. Stay away from the RPR.

I seen a bunch of people with them, and they're very good starting rifles. They're good on tactical courses. But shooting targets, they never seem to live up to what we think they should shoot. Great respect for Ruger, but I don't think it's a good choice for normal target shooting

One of the guys on Tuesdays had one and then had a custom built. He's a good resource to ask about the RPR. He's not against him in anyway but he has a lot of experience with us another guy at the group has been working for over a year to get his 6.5 Creedmore RPR to work right

I seen a bunch of people with them, and they're very good starting rifles. They're good on tactical courses. But shooting targets, they never seem to live up to what we think they should shoot. Great respect for Ruger, but I don't think it's a good choice for normal target shooting

One of the guys on Tuesdays had one and then had a custom built. He's a good resource to ask about the RPR. He's not against him in anyway but he has a lot of experience with us another guy at the group has been working for over a year to get his 6.5 Creedmore RPR to work right

I've heard a similar experience... and I've certainly noticed some of the marketing similarities between the RPR and things that I've fallen for before. I think the absolutely cheapest and best route from my minor research would be a savage FV, new barrel from 1 of the top 5-10 companies with a twist rate for your optimal bullet and then length based off of class of powders you're wanting to use and have it "reamed"(not sure if right word or not) with freebore for the bullet/round you plan on using and maybe a tighter neck threshold although I've read that some one didn't notice a difference with that variable. While I've never shot a Tikka nor known anyone who has personally, apparently a stock one shoots under .5moa there is certainly a very loyal following which I assume is well deserved. You don't have a ton of people touting about a guns accuracy unless there is something to it. You'll never find anyone blasting airgun forums talking about how great a Benjamin Trail or "steel eagle" is … fact.

I've heard a similar experience... and I've certainly noticed some of the marketing similarities between the RPR and things that I've fallen for before. I think the absolutely cheapest and best route from my minor research would be a savage FV, new barrel from 1 of the top 5-10 companies with a twist rate for your optimal bullet and then length based off of class of powders you're wanting to use and have it "reamed"(not sure if right word or not) with freebore for the bullet/round you plan on using and maybe a tighter neck threshold although I've read that some one didn't notice a difference with that variable. While I've never shot a Tikka nor known anyone who has personally, apparently a stock one shoots under .5moa there is certainly a very loyal following which I assume is well deserved. You don't have a ton of people touting about a guns accuracy unless there is something to it. You'll never find anyone blasting airgun forums talking about how great a Benjamin Trail or "steel eagle" is … fact.

We can fix the Tikka thing if your interested. If you want to shoot one we just need to arrange the time and place and I would be happy to let you shoot mine.

@Kruejl ;)

Tbh, better off sticking to the Ruger American rifles and working on them (pillar and glass bedding the whole nine yards) than going the RPR route for precision. As far as Ruger goes.

Though you'd think it wouldn't be that way...

Seems like you take your chances with just about any rifle you buy. It may be a shooter or it may not. With the RPR it is very easy to change the barrel. DIY project, as a matter of fact. Lots of quality barrels out there for it too. IMHO, the RPR comes with a bunch of very desirable features that you are going to pay extra for on a traditional rifle.

Yes I know they do, that is my route I'm just waiting for the LH model but it isn't the cheapest one, that Ruger's forte.
Ruger's forte is value for dollar. If it was cheap the Hawkeye would have been cheap too. And the only ones I see go under $700 for brand new is the left handed model. Or the synthetic stocks.

Last Edited:
You just don't see Rugers in target shooting. Good rifles but eclipsed by savage and custom rifles.

The idea of building up a cheap rifle into a consistent target shooter is just not worth the cost. Go look at accurate shooter and check the match results and see what they're using.

There's a huge space for Ruger is some markets and not others.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top