JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Howdy.

Hopefully there isn't a thread for this -- I searched and couldn't find one.

So here's the question for you: Cheap import shotguns thanks to globalization -- are they any good? I know this is a LONG-standing question that is prolific in other forums, but I wanted to hear what my local gun enthusiasts thought about it. The two shotguns in question are the Chinese-made IAC/Norinco 982 Hawk 12 Gauge Pump, and the Turkish-made Tristar Cobra Force 12 Gauge Pump. There are two schools of thought for the IAC - it's an improved-upon Remington 870 clone (it's actually based on the 870 and not made by Remington) for a fraction of the price, or it's unnecessarily heavy due to cheaper, lower quality steel (which rusts by the way), has feeding and ejecting issues, and whose reliability should be questioned. The TriStar is similar - seemingly well-built, cheap, tactical, and an "interesting" spring-assist fore end to help in cycling speed, or it has ejecting and feeding issues and the spring-assisted fore end actually over-complicates the simplicity of the pump shotgun, also bringing the reliability into question. My final thought is, if they're as great as the competitors, then why isn't police and military using them instead of Remington's and Mossberg's?

There is no comparison. I am in the second boat. Low quality materials and craftsmanship. Wouldnt trust it to put food on the table or safe a life, so why have it.

I would be hard pressed to take one for free. Let alone spend a dime.

LEOs don't use them for those exact reasons. Poor quality. Poor craftsmanship. No reliability.

This may open a can of worms but I don't care, it's just my opinion but I don't even fancy mossbergs. I think they have a more clunky/heavy feel with a sloppier action. But some people claim that is strength. 870s for me til I die.

I've thought about buying one of the Norinco/Pardner pumps off and on, but the fact that the money goes to the PLA isn't appealing. I also have a friend who had a Norinco 870 locking lug get mangled somehow, and wouldn't go into battery any longer.

I would buy a Turkish anything over Chinese firearm without blinking. The Turkish arms industry is seriously underrated, and they're producing a lot of high-quality firearms right now.

I have shot the tristar, and it is good for what it is.. Durability wise, I have no first hand experience; it worked while I shot it. The military will never switch out their rems and mossys for cheap clones. The only reason they are a "great competitor" is because of the price. It has been shown that inexpensive guns will sell no matter what the quality. I would buy one, but not expect the same out of it as an $800 Remington.

I have allot to say about this and it's not going to be good. I will advise everyone to not buy a Tristar or any Turkish made shotgun.. I will post more later tonight when I have time.

Soft junk aluminum, only thing holding it together is the semi hard anodize coating.. And locking bolts... Oh geeeze

My 590 mossburg has 3500 rounds run through it with out a single problem. It eats all ammo very well. Slugs are dead-nuts on. I would stake my life on it any day. Have seen lots of brands used in 3-gun and cheap=unreliable. Have noticed semi-auto Remingtons jamb now and then and benelli semi's picky with shot 8. Lots of shotguns sound awsome on paper or in a brochure but run them hard and you get to see what their worth. The military and LEO's have spent lots of time and money sorting out this subject.

I bought a stevens 320 with the fiber optic sight for 189 at fishermans a while back. I put a easy 100 rounds through it and it had no issues. I sold it to my brother in law because I still do trust and prefer my Mossberg 500 for HD but he shoots with me and he has yet to have an issue with a shotgun that was under 200 out the door and holds 5+1. Not a bad deal as far as my experience showed.

I bought a stevens 320 with the fiber optic sight for 189 at fishermans a while back. I put a easy 100 rounds through it and it had no issues. I sold it to my brother in law because I still do trust and prefer my Mossberg 500 for HD but he shoots with me and he has yet to have an issue with a shotgun that was under 200 out the door and holds 5+1. Not a bad deal as far as my experience showed.

Stevens is a big jump up from a chinese nock-off.

Stevens is a big jump up from a chinese nock-off.

It is a jump from them from my own experience but the price is right in the ballpark of the knockoffs. I am not sure why you should even consider something that is right in the same price range that is so questionable. Even a shotgun for plinking in the woods I would not chance that one day I may NEED it to work as it should.

I bought a savage 12 GA 320 Tactical and immediately realized my mistake (Made in China). It was cheap looking, it was failing to feed for some guys on Youtube and one broke for another guy on his first day at the range and I decided to ditch it ASAP. I made a commitment to myself that I wasn't going to buy anymore junk guns.

You can get a Mossberg 500 combination Barrel in 12 or 20 Gauge (I have Both) for around $300 NIB. Aftermarket parts are everywhere (and completely unnecessary), also cheap. They rock for birds, trap, skeet and varmints. The short barrel is great for HD, and you can use the barrel clamp to hold a flashlight off of your mag tube. They simple and stone reliable.

So why buy a cheap import when you can buy an inexpensive, reliable quality American made shotgun?

The sad fact is the Mossberg Maverick 88 line is usually sold at or near the same price point as the china & turkish cheaper lines.
The Maverick guns are just as strong as the more expensive mossberg guns, the only real difference is the location of the safety

I have an Italian double barrel 12 ga and a Japanese double barrel 12 ga that were imported and sold as a cheaper alternative to American shotguns of the day (1970's). On examination, they are both very high quality, having Greener cross bolt style lockup, and are tight as ever in spite of continued use. In the day, they were considered a cheaper alternative but today I seldom see the quality they exhibit in new doubles.

I have an Italian double barrel 12 ga and a Japanese double barrel 12 ga that were imported and sold as a cheaper alternative to American shotguns of the day (1970's). On examination, they are both very high quality, having Greener cross bolt style lockup, and are tight as ever in spite of continued use. In the day, they were considered a cheaper alternative but today I seldom see the quality they exhibit in new doubles.

I will take my Italian shotgun any day of the week!

I'm noticing a semantic trend in "this is as good as this..." If I can wax grammatical for a moment, 'as' or 'like' are similes, which compares two "similar" objects. Saying a Chinese shotgun "is as good as" a Remington doesn't make it so, and I don't think the quality is comparable, making that a false statement and generalization at best. If anything, the consumer subjectively finds the quality comparable or satisfactory. But that does not mean it is exactly the same, just like calling an IAC Hawk a Remington 870 clone also does not make it so.

I prefer to buy American, that's the idealism I try to stick to, and I think the quality speaks for itself. As a consumer, I also want the best deal possible. That is not to say that other countries don't produce quality firearms, because they do, but I think it's obvious "some" other countries adhere to different quality control standards and want to make a substantial profit from cheaper products. The reason I ask about the IAC and Tristar specifically is because I am being offered them in trade and want to know more about them, but my hesitancy seems to speak for itself. I'm willing to compromise, but substandard quality that could lead to failure isn't one of them.

Yeah I remember when I bought my first Saiga 12 for $350.00! I thought that it was going to be a POS, but I shot hundreds of rounds of cheap ammo though it without any problems. I bought my son a Tri-Star semi-auto a few years ago when the Turkish shotguns first showed up on the market, he has put hundreds of rounds though his Tri-Star without a hitch. I have a Cobra pump that I haven't shot, and purchased a Tri-Star M3 copy (Pump/Auto.) So far it has worked without a hitch. I had a Mossberg 500 that broke the first time I took it hunting, the welds that connect the slide bars to the bolt broke. My son had an 870 that the slide controls would detach from the bolt by sliding out of the notches that were supposed to hold them in place. Seems like anything can break even US made. Just my 2 cents.
Here is a list of shotguns I have owned over the years.
Mossberg 500 Combo 12ga
Mossberg 590 12ga
Winchester 1300 12ga
SWD Street-Sweeper 12ga pre nfa
Remington 1100 20ga
Remington 1100 12ga (3 of these, tactical, hunter and modified tactical.)
Benelli Nova Tactical 12ga
Benelli M2 12ga (4 of these.)
Browning BPS 10ga
Saiga 410
Saiga 20
Saiga 12 (6 o7 of these.)
FN SLP 12ga (Burt has this one.)
Kel-Tec KSG 12ga (Hated it!)
Bailak Side by side 12ga
H & R Combo O/U 22LR-20ga
Tri-Star Cobra Pump 12ga
Tri-Star Benelli M3 copy 12ga
Smith & Wesson Governor 410/45
I don't think this makes me an expert, but I do know my shotguns.
+

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads