JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I thought I heard that Portland wasn't the friendliest place to CC. I went and read everything I could find on handgunlaw.us Am I correct that as a valid holder of a CHL that I have no worries as far as PDX goes?

How can a place be "unfriendly" to CC?

Concealed means concealed. If no one sees it you have NO problem. If somehow it becomes unconcealed just make sure you have the permit to be legal......

I live in and cc regularly in PDX. No problems so far. As I understand it (as taught to me by the Portland Cop who ran my chl class) PPD policy is to challenge OC and that it is not legal to oc in Portland. Recent incident of the Medford "activist" and his partner walking around SE PDX ocing AR's would suggest that they have studied up on the chl laws. As stated by NWCID: cc means cc. Shouldn't be any issues. If issues arise have chl handy.

I CC in PDX everywhere I go, CC is just that, concealed. I do occasionally OC into town as well, again never had any issues. A lot of people end up making small talk with me once they notice the firearm, I think it really depends on your demeanor and the way you're dressed.

I live in and cc regularly in PDX. No problems so far. As I understand it (as taught to me by the Portland Cop who ran my chl class) PPD policy is to challenge OC and that it is not legal to oc in Portland. Recent incident of the Medford "activist" and his partner walking around SE PDX ocing AR's would suggest that they have studied up on the chl laws. As stated by NWCID: cc means cc. Shouldn't be any issues. If issues arise have chl handy.

It is legal to oc in Portland. You have to have a chl if your weapon is loaded, but if your weapon is unloaded, you can oc without a permit.

It is legal to oc in Portland. You have to have a chl if your weapon is loaded, but if your weapon is unloaded, you can oc without a permit.

I think this may have been the source of my confusion. I read about some areas in the greater PDX area regarding OCing, CCing, gun in a car, loaded, unloaded, coated in donut sprinkles, etc and just wanted to make sure. I have to be in PDX for two days next week and when I am not in the doc's office being probed, exposed, prodded, needled, scanned, and examined I will be carrying. We are staying overnight in a place that puts some good stuff within several blocks so we will be hoofing it quite a bit.

This is what you need to know: Due to preemption (ORS166.170) no city in the state of Oregon can regulate concealed carry.

166.170 -- State preemption
(1) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, the authority to regulate in any matter whatsoever the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition, is vested solely in the Legislative Assembly.

(2) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, no county, city or other municipal corporation or district may enact civil or criminal ordinances, including but not limited to zoning ordinances, to regulate, restrict or prohibit the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition. Ordinances that are contrary to this subsection are void.

166.173 -- Authority of city or county to regulate possession of loaded firearms in public places
(1) A city or county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession of loaded firearms in public places as defined in ORS 161.015 (General definitions).

(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section do not apply to or affect:
(a) A law enforcement officer in the performance of official duty.

(b) A member of the military in the performance of official duty.

(c) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.
(d) A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building or court facility under ORS 166.370

I thought I heard that Portland wasn't the friendliest place to CC. I went and read everything I could find on handgunlaw.us Am I correct that as a valid holder of a CHL that I have no worries as far as PDX goes?

I cc in pdx all the time, I personally wont oc even though I can and have every right to do so, I just don't want the hassle . This topic of cc or oc in pdx has been beat to death on the forums over the past several months.

Loaded Open carry without a license to conceal is not legal in Portland and other cities that have made use of ORS 166.173. If you have a license to conceal, you may Open Carry, loaded in these cities. Again, in these restricted cities like Portland.....If you have no license to conceal, you may not carry loaded, but you must carry openly. Read the LAW, do not listen to personal opinions.

If Portland PD hassels (challenges) you for OC, sue them...federal civil rights suit section 1983..for trying to make you not do something that is legal, "under the color of law".

It is my understanding that OR law is like WA law in reguards to the air port. It is legal to carry up to the security check point.

If you have an Oregon CHL, you're good.

In fact, I've found that Portland is so "nobody expects guns," that the vast majority of businesses (that may be "gun unfriendly" if they thought about it,) don't bother with "no guns" signs, simply because they don't think about it!

I've never had any problem carrying anywhere in Portland.

If you have an Oregon CHL, you're good.

In fact, I've found that Portland is so "nobody expects guns," that the vast majority of businesses (that may be "gun unfriendly" if they thought about it,) don't bother with "no guns" signs, simply because they don't think about it!

I've never had any problem carrying anywhere in Portland.

I've gathered as much talking to some business owners. I prefer to let them remain ignorant.

A sign on a business door wouldn't prevent me from carrying either.

"A sign on a business door wouldn't prevent me from carrying either."

As a matter of principle, a sign on a business door usually keeps me from entering. I prefer to spend my money with companies that share my values or at least don't go out of their way to oppose them.

"A sign on a business door wouldn't prevent me from carrying either."

As a matter of principle, a sign on a business door usually keeps me from entering. I prefer to spend my money with companies that share my values or at least don't go out of their way to oppose them.

Agreed! If the place is posted, and I can go somewhere else for what I need, I will inform the management why I will not do business with them, and then I do not.

If a sign is posted, and there is absolutely no other option, I will not carry into the business, but I will work very hard at having the policy changed.

Example, our local hospital (public) was posted when I took my wife down for an MRI. It is not legal for a public hospital to post no weapons in WA. Pointed this out to the board of directors and the management, and got the signs removed. That is how you handle it. Don't violate their policy, even if it is not a legal policy...get it changed.

Yeah, signs may not have force of law in Oregon, but they certainly have "force of persuasion" to me. I don't count mall signs in microscopic print at some central office - if a mall were to put large signs at each entrance, I'd probably choose a different mall, but something buried in fine print where nobody can see it I'll ignore - the stores inside don't have "no guns" signs... Heck, I hear Washington Square mall claims to ban guns, yet Dicks Sporting Goods has a sign on specifically *HOW* to bring a gun in for service!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top