JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Smoking a coyote i know squat about. Smoking a dog, THAT i might have some insight on. A coworkers kid smoked a dog with something like a 300WM in Hillsboro a few years back. The dog was attacking people and kids in the neighborhood behind Bretthauer so he shot it....Got all of his crap confiscated and got written up by the po po. When court time came everything was thrown out and he eventually got his gun(s)back. Took em awhile though:cool: You know how the govt doesnt wanna give back firearms. Thats a whole 2nd part to the story I'll save for another day.....

Edit: I stand corrected, he shot it with a 340 Weatherby mag.....In the middle of a neighborhood....THATS what I believe the cops were pissed about....

Last Edited:
Smoking a coyote i know squat about. Smoking a dog, THAT i might have some insight on. A coworkers kid smoked a dog with something like a 300WM in Hillsboro a few years back. The dog was attacking people and kids in the neighborhood behind Bretthauer so he shot it....Got all of his crap confiscated and got written up by the po po. When court time came everything was thrown out and he eventually got his gun(s)back. Took em awhile though:cool: You know how the govt doesnt wanna give back firearms. Thats a whole 2nd part to the story I'll save for another day.....

Edit: I stand corrected, he shot it with a 340 Weatherby mag.....In the middle of a neighborhood....THATS what I believe the cops were pissed about....
jesus, a 340wby mag? ya think he got'm??

Did someone bring up that Texas boy Rick Perry popped a yote on camera with his .380 while out jogging.. with a full security detail?
I think the last dog popping that I heard of around here was in Multnomah Village (just outside a "Portland City") in front of a coffee joint or something. got a pat on the back and a free cupa
Probably used a .308 is how I reckon it.

Last Edited:
Have you ever heard the difference in how a pack howls when they are just talking to each other vs what they sound like when they are onto/chasing prey? Wow!

A pack will make a mess out of the largest dog is short order.

In truth I think your right on this with most dogs.
A wild animal can fight pound for pound way above it's weight class.

My dog now probably wouldn't know what to do with a pissed coyote? o_O

Now the big farm dog I had as a kid, got up to speed real fast.
He could run off three at once no problem. And he would kill a single coyote lickity split.

One time he ran down and killed a large male in the field behind the house.
Bit him behind the shoulders and shook. He broke his spine above his heart. And you could see lung through the fist size hole he made in it's side.

Good old Max was more wild than tame himself. ;)

DSCN4844 (2).JPG

Out in the sticks here I pop three or more a year using my trusty PSL, standard milsurp rounds, sighting in with the massive starlight scope at night or just irons during the day. Last year one male was trying to lure my dog out of the field and into the tree line and I took him down just as my dog noticed and started to charge. We've two or three huge packs around the area so I'm always on the look-out for a new pelt.

Whenever we were in Quartzsite AZ, we saw a number of posted signs for lost dogs that were large dogs. People were warned over and over about loose dogs but didn't listen. I had one guy tell me his large Wirehair could take on any coyote. A single one (they're pretty small) or even two or three, maybe. But I've seen it, as well as my folks that lived near Phelan CA out in the desert, the pack typically sends a female in heat out to lure a large pet dog. The dog runs off after the yote, then is assaulted by a pack of 7-9 coyotes. IMO Unless the pet manages to get back to the house real quick, the pet is not going to survive. :(

Think I might put my game camera down by the creek below my house to see whats going through there at night. I'm guessing that I will catch some good shots. I know there are at least two bucks that travel through there on a weekly basis.

Will be interesting to see if the yotes are using the trail as well.

Coyotes are a fact of life in and out of town. We're a food source for them, garbage and house pets. Conflicts are inevitable. They want to eat and we want to protect Fluffy. Picture is from the Willamette National Cemetery. Pretty good size pack running around right now. Haven't seen a housecat in awhile.

image.jpeg

Got up one Sunday morning and while cooking breakfast I though I saw something under the back of my welding truck. Stopped and looked again and it was a young coyote. Beautiful reddish blonde pelt. Grabbed a 10/22 and snuck out the front door and worked my way around the side. Lined up the shot, but I pulled up short. Walked up closer and could see that the poor guy must of got hit by a car/truck. Whole hind end was busted up. He kept trying to drag himself further under the truck. At that point I just finished him. As I've gotten older I've gotten softer I guess. Doesn't matter what it is, there is no need to see it suffer.

I have lived around coyotes all my life and most in relatively close proximity but I will admit coyotes in a rural area are much more wary of humans than maybe the ones in an urban area and I suspect though even then they would still turn tail and run if they were to see any aggressive movement toward them. I highly doubt coyotes in a urban/city environment will ever be more of a threat than they are rurally except to maybe a loose dog without it's owner around - and maybe even less in a city with more human presence and activity. I do not foresee packs of mangy, snarling coyotes roaming a city - except maybe in a 'B' rate Sci-Fy movie of which it would be a GREAT plot!

I live in NE Portland. Recently, a woman was walking her dog in a nearby park and encountered a coyote. She made it home, but then her dog because barking at the front window. She looked out and saw four coyotes circling in her front yard.

I take my dog to a park (different one but near), usually at 5am in the morning. I'm usually the only one there. He's old and nearly blind and we've had occasional run-ins with stray dogs.

In my experience, coyotes run from noisy humans, but let's suppose there was one that got into a scrap with my dog. If I shot the coyote, would I be facing any legal problems? Obviously, I'd do this only as a last resort, to protect myself or my dog. I assume if I did have to do that, my next move should be to call 911 immediately.

Second, how's .38 +P or 9mm +P on a coyote? :)

First: If you really need to shoot a coyote in self defense, you will open up a whole new can of worms when you call 911. The very first thing the cops will do when they show up is take your gun away.

Second: If the coyote gets close enough and you are not all adrenaline pumped, either a 9mm or 38 special would do fine for killing a coyote anywhere inside 50 yards, but coyotes rarely stand still long enough for most people to take aim.

I've seen plenty of coyotes in the wild just standing there. would have been an easy shot with my AR but for a pistol would have been tough. There usually about 3-400 feet out when I see them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top