JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I plan on taking several handguns, my carbine and my shotgun through PDX in January on my way back home. Can I expect any hassles/problems if they are all in hard cases and locked up? Thanks.

No loaded magazines of any kind :( I got my or CCW just so I wouldn't have to deal with that bat bubblegum crazy rule.

Oops. I thought you meant portland, although my statement still stands if you end up inside city limits, and I am not sure where that boundary is.

Last Edited:
I have not flown thru PDX, but stories are that this airport is a bit more touchy-feely than many others. Expect to have to open your bags for them and so forth. Allow for the time to do that.

Avoid Spirit . I've seen them refuse to check more than one gun per person.
Not sure if they are still doing it--but Delta was wrapping every bag with a gun in
a big handful of heavy duty zip-ties. Sucks if you knife is INSIDE the bag!

Alaska and Southwest are my choices.

You can also just ship them to yourself in New Mexico----

All good advice above.
Been flying a lot lately - I've flown Alaska, Southwest, Delta, American and United with firearms. Had one anti gate agent once, and I just ignored her. ("yes ma'am, no ma'am") -- you get the picture.
Sometimes they want to see inside, most times not.
Here's what I would add:
  1. If you are licensed to carry in OR, disarm, clear and lock up your weapon before you get into the airport. I have never tried anything else and don't want to find out what may happen.
  2. arrive at the counter at least two hours before departure. This is snow season, and I have had to wait in line at TSA while they wipe down snowboard cases, etc.
  3. When you fly IN with a case, it comes out the slide right at the same belt. There will be an agent (not necessarily there at the moment it comes out) who can assist you in claiming it. I had a Delta crew get nervous when I went to grab my case.
  4. Most PDX TSA agents at Oversized are relaxed, one is not. She will have you lock your case and then try to open it to see if she can get a pinky inside. If she can, it doesn't fly.
  5. Don't fly with a cheap locking case like Plano ones. See #3.
  6. Even though you can and you have documentation to prove it, stupidity rules. NEVER allow yourself to get flustered, it could end badly.
  7. I've never flown into ABQ so don't know what it's like there. Some airports are funny, where your case will come out and no one will do anything about it, i.e. you just go up and get it. IF a rifle, yeah, easy to see. If a pistol, makes me say "hmmmm."
Most of all, have fun and stay safe.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads