Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Interfering with Public Transportation - PDX

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by RicInOR, Mar 5, 2014.

1. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Talk of a loaded gun on TriMet bus gets man arrested | Local & Regional | KATU.com - Portland News, Sports, Traffic Weather and Breaking News - Portland, Oregon

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2014/03/man_claims_to_have_loaded_and.html

http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/166.116

http://trimet.org/pdfs/code/TriMet_Code_Chapter_28.pdf

D. Prohibited Risks to Transit System Security and Order

(6) Harassment and Intimidation

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  2. GrpCapMandrake

GrpCapMandrake Vancouver Active Member

Dude looks like a winner. :rolleyes:

3. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

WTH would you even discuss what your are carrying (if you WERE carrying)?

The Heretic, Riot, evltwn and 3 others like this.
  4. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

There's your sign

5. ocarolan

ocarolan Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

[video=youtube;sTcBgs2huRo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTcBgs2huRo[/video]

6. Stomper

True enough

7. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

My pistol is not designed to inflict bodily harm. Its purpose is to project metal slugs at high velocity, and facing the possibility of such is intended to deter criminals and thus prevent bodily harm.

Besides, the buses are public, so state preemption applies.

8. Darknight

Darknight Salem Active Member

(2) Weapons: No person, except a peace officer, shall bring or carry aboard a District Vehicle any firearm, knife (except a folding knife with a blade less than 3 ½ inches in length), or any other instrument, article, device, material or substance specifically designed for, or attempted to be used to, inflict or cause bodily harm to another, except in accordance with administrative rules as may be promulgated by the General Manager or otherwise provided by law. Where possession of such weapons cannot be prohibited by law, a person in possession of a weapon may not display or carry the weapon in a manner which is likely to result in fear or alarm by other persons or District employees.

You left off part of it, so I fixed it. Besides, Portlandias rules do not override state law. Too, a reasonable person would need to be in fear by your actions; and carrying a firearm, even open carry with a permit is not grounds in itself to arrest you for anything.

9. biggie24420

biggie24420 Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

I have had my rifle and or shotgun on Tri-Met, but it was in a case, unloaded, locked, and secure. I contacted Tri-Met and they responded to me on Sept. 8, 2010.... and this is what they had to say.... granted it was a question about open carry on public transit.

Hi (my name):

My apologies for not responding sooner; I was on vacation until yesterday. I’m responding to your email, below, asking about the rules pertaining to the carrying of a handgun on the TriMet system. TriMet Code 28.15(D)(2) specifically prohibits persons from bringing onto the TriMet system weapons, including firearms, except as “otherwise provided by law.” Under Oregon State law (ORS Chapter 166, which you note), the legislature has specifically reserved to itself the authority to regulate the manner in which firearms are used or carried. ORS Chapter 166 identifies several venues into which a lawful permit holder may not bring a concealed handgun (courthouses, for example), but public transit property and vehicles are not among those venues. Thus, a person with a valid concealed carry permit may bring a concealed handgun onto a TriMet vehicle, station, or platform.

The question becomes complicated if a person chooses to openly carry a handgun on our system. While technically there is no state law prohibition, there is one possibility for “regulating” the manner in which a person openly carries a handgun or other firearm on our system. The TMC provision noted above provides that “[w]here possession of [guns] cannot be prohibited by law, a person in possession of a weapon may not display or carry the weapon in a manner which is likely to result in fear or alarm by other persons or District employees.” We have interpreted this provision to apply both to holders of handgun permits and those who have no permit, because the provision does not prohibit an individual’s lawful use or possession of a firearm. Instead, the provision is directed at the fact-specific relationship that may exist between the individual’s carrying or using the firearm and other persons lawfully on the transit system.

So, to answer your question, while openly carrying is not illegal or prohibited, you would want to be careful not to display your handgun in a manner which might cause fear or alarm to other riders or employees.

Thank you,

Shelley

Shelley Devine

Senior Deputy General Counsel

TriMet

ZigZagZeke and fd15k like this.
  10. Darknight

Darknight Salem Active Member

11. Stomper

A quick knee to the guy's jimmy would have ended his complaining...

12. Asp

Asp Oregon, the promise land. Active Member

I wonder what the hell that means. I'm sure it's not this:
    Zardoz_zed.jpg

13. PiratePast40

PiratePast40 Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

Zardoz was a fantastic movie. Even better if you "lived" the 70s.

14. Stomper

O...M...G!! :eek:

15. 1337BaldEagle

1337BaldEagle Earth Active Member

Interesting, I will be in PDX next weekend. I really hope people don't piss and moan, cuz I ALWAYS carry, and mostly openly.

16. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

There was a case recently about a hysterical citizen calling 911 because of somebody OC'ing, and the responding officers ended up citing the caller for the unnecessary police response. We could only hope that occasional, responsible OC in public places would inoculate the masses against that kind of knee-jerk hoplophobia.

Like so many here, I'd often said, "Concealed means concealed," but lately I wonder that maybe it isn't time to teach via our actions, that we are all responsible for our own security and safety. The Connecticut registration law is an example of government overreach which is so outrageous, that I feel like it begs for a response, and it's time to take back the moral high ground.

I'm clean cut, I dress well, and I act responsibly - at least when I'm out in public. Maybe it's time to hoist the flag - and see if I end up being hoisted with my own petard. Here's the base issue: I do not need to prove that I'm not a criminal; the government officials need to prove that I am.

In Washington State there's case law that OC does not constitute RAS for a Terry stop (hat tip to member GoGoDawgs). We need some sort of precedent to the same effect here, on the South side of the river. In plain language, when you're asked why you choose to OC on the MAX, the answer is, "Because F.U., that's why."
    http://i.imgur.com/UIDRJUL.png

Asp and Ben Beckerich like this.
  17. Asp

Asp Oregon, the promise land. Active Member

That's entirely inconsequential when it comes to law of carrying lawfully.

You could dress like a bum - smelling like one is your choice. In a all likelihood as long as you aren't a proverbial phallus towards your fellow man, there (ideally) should be no issues. I have seen, albeit rarely, homeless people at with more dignity than the regular schmo on public trans.

18. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Yea and if you ask for another bag of peanuts on an airliner they'll threaten to throw you in the gulag for forty years. true story