JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I live in NE Portland. Recently, a woman was walking her dog in a nearby park and encountered a coyote. She made it home, but then her dog because barking at the front window. She looked out and saw four coyotes circling in her front yard.

I take my dog to a park (different one but near), usually at 5am in the morning. I'm usually the only one there. He's old and nearly blind and we've had occasional run-ins with stray dogs.

In my experience, coyotes run from noisy humans, but let's suppose there was one that got into a scrap with my dog. If I shot the coyote, would I be facing any legal problems? Obviously, I'd do this only as a last resort, to protect myself or my dog. I assume if I did have to do that, my next move should be to call 911 immediately.

Second, how's .38 +P or 9mm +P on a coyote? :)

I don't think you would be cited for self defense, especially if it is determined that the coyote was rabid. Consider the potential problems of discharging a round within city limits though. What if you miss or it richochets and hits an unintended target? Bottom line is that you're liable. Some coyotes are losing their fear of humans. The ones I have encountered will got within 100 feet but they still ran when I made noise and confronted them. They didn't like my dog either. Keep some beat down sticks and stuff you can throw at them around the yard.
Of course, if you are in an area where its fairly remote, keep a shovel handy...
I'm not a lawyer/your mileage may vary.

If it came close, and there was no danger of my shot ricocheting, I'd kill it and go about my business. If no one else was there, I'd keep my mouth shut and leave the carcass where it fell.

I don't know about the .38+P, but I've shot an animal a bit bigger than a coyote with a 9mm and it ran a good distance before stopping.

But if it's just curious about you and your dog, I'd leave it alone. With today's upside-down laws and silly "leaders", you could wind up in a whole lot of hot water.

Bear spray is a good alternative.

4979089_03_ruger_lcp_380_coyote_special_640.jpg

knowing some of the outstanding city officials in portland, you'd pry be fine defending your dog and be ridiculed if you defended yourself.

just sayin

Don't see how shooting a coyote in self defense is any different than shooting a dog for the same reason. There was a recent case in Portland where a CCW shot a dog attacking his leashed dog. Before everybody goes all anti-Portland, the shooting was considered justified.

As for the .38+P, no problem. Coyotes aren't big or particularly hard to kill. Shot one once wit a .45LC Derringer and it didn't even twitch.

Last Edited:
I have heard numerous times that pets are considered property, and not considered people.

A quick search found this:
Shooting in defense of pets – Gun Nuts Media

"The first thing to bear in mind is the question of "is it legal to use force to defend a pet?" Pets are, in the eyes of the law, property. They're not people, they don't enjoy the same rights as humans, regardless of how much a part of your family they become. In South Dakota, it's generally legal to use appropriate force to defend your property, and deadly force is good to go so long as you're in a situation where deadly force would be legally justified. I know that's a bit of a tautology, but that's how the law reads.

However, a better question is this, and something's that stuck with me for a long time. When I was taking classes from the excellent InSights Training Center in Washington, they would regularly talk about having the ability to articulate that you were in fear for your life when you used deadly force. There are situations where fear for your life is obvious and easily articulated: "He had a gun, he was threaten to kill me if I didn't do what he said" and some where it's a little more difficult."

NOTE: if the coyote were to go after your dog, and you stepped in the middle of your dog and the coyote, would you be in fear for your life at what the coyote could do to you? :rolleyes:

You said all alone! To me that's my key shoot the damn thing it probably runs off and you get home safe and no one is the wiser!!

Just make sure there are no cameras around o_O

I thought I had read somewhere that you cant even CC in hippyland? I mean you can not have ammo in your weapon? So just by shooting the bugger, they can nail you for that.
More then likly though they would hit you with animal abuse.
What you should do is carry a machete and if you or your dog are attacked, shout " Aloha Snackbar! " really loud and kill said coyote with the machete. You would be all clear there and maybe even given the key to the city.

I've been around lots of places where there are numerous coyotes. IMO they will not approach a human closely unless one was rabid.

Best practice is to keep your dog on a leash, put dog in the house if a pack is circling the yard, never ever ever let your dog chase a lone coyote that has approach to within rock-throwing distance... there is a pack out there that you can't see, and that's how a single coyote takes down a large dog. Seen it happen too many times.

I have had coyotes fall to .22lr. In Portland??? It's a crap shoot. Any caliber bird shot will send them running, but bear spray is probably the best advice. Did the woman report the presence of four coyotes to anyone? In Portland, that could be a problem.

I thought I had read somewhere that you cant even CC in hippyland? I mean you can not have ammo in your weapon? So just by shooting the bugger, they can nail you for that.

Been carrying concealed in Portland for over 20 years and yes, my gun is loaded. Same rules for CC apply here as for the rest of the state. You're probably confusing it with Portland's open carry restrictions.

Last Edited:
Dropped more then a few Coyotes as a kid with dads .22 hornet. and any common self defense pistol round at self defense tyep distances would have one heck of a lot more knock down power then a little 45 grain slug at 2700 fps

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top