JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a question-

I have a RCBS 82026 115gr 9mm mould and I poured 350 yesterday and weighed 5 of them today and they all came out between 94.1-94.7. Is this because of my mixture? I don't know what it is because I got the lead from a buddy.

What can I add to it to make it closer to the 115gr? I don't know how I'd load for 94gr so I'm not sure if I have to melt these back down and start again or not.

Thank you for your help

You sure it's not Zinc? :eek::eek:
I'm pretty sure.... I reached out to him to ask if he remembers what it is.

someone on a different message board suggested that maybe my temperature wasn't high enough and it could have been pouring lighter. Not sure if that is a thing or not.
I'm just getting into it so I don't know. I'm going to order a thermometer for it though

I'm pretty sure.... I reached out to him to ask if he remembers what it is.

someone on a different message board suggested that maybe my temperature wasn't high enough and it could have been pouring lighter. Not sure if that is a thing or not.
I'm just getting into it so I don't know. I'm going to order a thermometer for it though
Usually it's the alloy that makes a difference in weight. So i will guess by what you stated that what your friend gave you has a considerable amount of antimony and tin (other stuff?) In it than an alloy like Lyman #2. Since they are lighter than you're recipie just go with the workup. I've never had a problem with a slightly lighter projectile. If you are powder coating or using hi tek and your bullets are right-sized for your gun they won't give you any issues usually. If they are lighter it usually=harder because of the lighter alloy metals. Heavier usually = more lead = softer. No right or wrong in this game just have to find what works well.

Usually it's the alloy that makes a difference in weight. So i will guess by what you stated that what your friend gave you has a considerable amount of antimony and tin (other stuff?) In it than an alloy like Lyman #2. Since they are lighter than you're recipie just go with the workup. I've never had a problem with a slightly lighter projectile. If you are powder coating or using hi tek and your bullets are right-sized for your gun they won't give you any issues usually. If they are lighter it usually=harder because of the lighter alloy metals. Heavier usually = more lead = softer. No right or wrong in this game just have to find what works well.

They are all consistent in weight and I measured several of them and they are .356. They should work just fine and the Lyman book has a recipe for 95gr bullets which is what they are after I powder coated a few of them.

I reached out to his father to see if he remembers what is in the ingots but I may go to the scrap yard and try to get some pure lead and add to it in my melting pot.

Anyone know a good place to get wheel weights around Portland?

Are the bullets filled out nicely and very shiny? Could be linotype, or even solder? If so, it seems like a waste to shoot them, as the alloy is worth a lot more than just lead. Mix it 3 to 1 or some such, with range scrap lead, and you've got a really good alloy.

They look great to me! Then again I'm new to this. EA66A4D2-D5DB-4C8D-BFC6-F26EFD92396B.jpeg

Get some pure lead or casting lead from a known source. Then melt a little of that and try again. If there is a big difference you know where the problem is. There is also some cheap easy hardness tests shown on the web. See how they rate. It will give you a rough idea.

Are the bullets filled out nicely and very shiny? Could be linotype, or even solder? If so, it seems like a waste to shoot them, as the alloy is worth a lot more than just lead. Mix it 3 to 1 or some such, with range scrap lead, and you've got a really good alloy.
I shoot straight mystery range scrap out of my .351 Winchester powder coated at 1800~ish fps and there isn't even a wisp of leading. One pass with a brush and normal patches and it's gleaming like new in 1953:D. 15 cents a round it's like Christmas every time I pull the trigger.

Last Edited:
They look great to me! Then again I'm new to this. View attachment 683456
Those are beautiful! Actually a little too pretty... You've got some premium alloy there.

The light weight, the perfect fillout, and the beautiful shiny finish tells me that alloy is definitely linotype, monotype, or some kind of solder or bearing material. Alloy like that sells for at least $2/lb and up. If you shoot them, be sure to shoot them somewhere you can dig them out of the berm and melt them down again! :)

Back in the day, some casters made all their bullets from linotype. It's awesome bullet material. Nowadays it's just too expensive to use straight.

How much alloy do you have? A lot of guys (including me) would trade regular lead 2 for 1 for it. I've had good luck with an alloy of scrap lead and a little linotype, in 9mm. Powder coating was to key for me. No leading at all.

How much alloy do you have? A lot of guys would trade regular lead 2 for 1 for it. I've had good luck with an alloy of scrap lead and a little linotype, in 9mm. Powder coating was to key for me. No leading at all.
He has many coffee cans in his basement and I just go over and grab it when I need it. Not an endless supply but there is a lot down there and I can have as much as I want/need.

I hope you just intend to punch paper with that bullet. As I remember, it was for 9mm Luger.
I punched a large ground squirrel with one out of a 38 Spl. and had to run him down to finish him.
That bullet was going through him like stabbing him with a pencil. :(

I hope you just intend to punch paper with that bullet. As I remember, it was for 9mm Luger.
I punched a large ground squirrel with one out of a 38 Spl. and had to run him down to finish him.
That bullet was going through him like stabbing him with a pencil. :(
I shot a sage rat at about 10 yds with my model 36 3" this weekend with a dead soft Lee 105 swc. I found evidence of a kill...didn't have to worry about hiding the body:p

He has many coffee cans in his basement and I just go over and grab it when I need it. Not an endless supply but there is a lot down there and I can have as much as I want/need.

If you want some lead that will cast to the correct weight, you should have no problem making a favorable trade for some, with someone around here.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top