JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One thing I wanted to mention regarding sifting scrap lead from a berm: please be very cognizant of lead poisoning.

The dirt/gravel/sand in a berm is absolutely loaded with lead dust, and most of the scrap you handle will be oxidized to some degree. Breathing this stuff is bad news. When I handle scrap lead, whether mining the berm or processing it into ingots, I wear gloves and an N95 mask. I wash my hands thoroughly before eating anything, and wash with anti-lead soap when I get home. If I've handled a bunch, I'll shower right away and throw my clothes in the wash with some lead soap.
I don't wear a mask but I do wear rubber gloves and shower/wash clothes right after. I do work slow and try not to raise dust and stay up wind. Had my levels checked last year and they were below norm.

I use the sizers when I need them. If i don't I don't. Powder coat first then measure. If they need a touch of sizing I run them through a lee sizer. You don't need to lube them with powder coat;)
Had no idea they were not "needed". Been a LONG time since I cast so Al had not invented the net when I was doing it. It was a lot of work running the slugs through that sizer / luber after the casting. It had a lot to do with me finally just starting to order swagged lead in large quantity. The casting stuff is the only thing I never hung onto. If I ever try it again I will try some without that step. Would save a lot of damn work.

Last Edited:
I don't wear a mask but I do wear rubber gloves and shower/wash clothes right after. I do work slow and try not to raise dust and stay up wind. Had my levels checked last year and they were below norm.

Sifting slugs out of soft dirt I would have to guess there could not be much lead dust in the air. Certainly could not hurt at all to use a mask when they get to where we can buy them again :D When I learned how to cast I was shocked at watching a couple people doing the casting in the house with no protection. I had an exhaust set up where I cast and did the fluxing outside. A few thought I was way over doing it back them but it made me nervous thinking about being around that crap.

Had no idea they were not "needed". Been a LONG time since I cast so Al had not invented the net when I was doing it. It was a lot of work running the slugs through that sizer / luber after the casting. It had a lot to do with me finally just starting to order swagged lead in large quantity. The casting stuff is the only thing I never hung onto. If I ever try it again I will try some without that step. Would same a lot of damn work.
Well for example with .38 if I can get them to drop at .357 and the PC takes them up to .359 in my guns they shoot just fine no signs of pressure. If they are fatter than that I just run them through a Lee .358 sizer dry. Easy peasy.

Well for example with .38 if I can get them to drop at .357 and the PC takes them up to .359 in my guns they shoot just fine no signs of pressure. If they are fatter than that I just run them through a Lee .358 sizer dry. Easy peasy.

Thanks, doubt I will be casting again since I sold that stuff long ago but, if I ever try it again I will certainly give it a try just lubing them. All the stuff I rolled with cast is just like the stuff I roll using swagged, its just play stuff. Always load it low to mid range. For Wife I load some real light .45 stuff and use a weaker spring and she loves it. Will keep this in mind if I ever start casting again. That sizer was a lot of damn work :eek: Like I said this was long before Al had the idea of the net. I read a book, went to the store and bought the stuff. I was of course told I "needed" the sizer and dies so I bought them. Probably could have saved myself a hell of a lot of work back then.:cool:

Sifting slugs out of soft dirt I would have to guess there could not be much lead dust in the air. Certainly could not hurt at all to use a mask when they get to where we can buy them again :D When I learned how to cast I was shocked at watching a couple people doing the casting in the house with no protection. I had an exhaust set up where I cast and did the fluxing outside. A few thought I was way over doing it back them but it made me nervous thinking about being around that crap.
Oh gosh casting in the house! And I would never tell someone not to use a mask if they felt it necessary. Just the way I do it and it's worked out.

I'm not the type that uses a respirator and haz-mat suite when casting, but I do try to be careful. I've already been through the Big C once, sure don't need any more health problems. I don't always use a mask when picking bullets off the berm, only when it's real dry and there's dust. I do wash my hands religiously whenever handling lead though.

I do wear a mask when processing scrap into ingots. I just did 500 pounds a few days ago. I'd been accumulating it for quite a while, in buckets. It took about 4 hours and most of a tank of propane, and was a lot of work. There was all kind of smoke and dust, and I was really glad to have a mask. If I ever do that again, I'll be tempted to break out one of my old respirators. I used to work around a lot of different gases and chemicals, and am very familiar with proper PPE. I've spent a LOT of time in a respirator, as well as a chem-suit, a cleanroom suit, and flame-retardant gear...

On the subject of lube-sizing- I've spent a LOT of hours with a Lyman 45 and 450. Then I decided to give powder coating a try... For me, powder coating is a game changer. I love it, would never go back to greasy, waxy lube. After coating I just push them quickly through a Lee sizer and they're perfect.

I've heard people say to never use a non-jacketed bullet above 1000 fps. Nonsense. Even before powder coating, I loaded lubed cast bullets to 1400fps in a .44 Magnum without leading. With powder coating, I load plain-base bullets in .30 Carbine to 1800 fps, and gas-checked bullets in .30-30 to 2300 FPS just fine. Good accuracy and no leading.

I'm not the type that uses a respirator and haz-mat suite when casting, but I do try to be careful. I've already been through the Big C once, sure don't need any more health problems. I don't always use a mask when picking bullets off the berm, only when it's real dry and there's dust. I do wash my hands religiously whenever handling lead though.

I do wear a mask when processing scrap into ingots. I just did 500 pounds a few days ago. I'd been accumulating it for quite a while, in buckets. It took about 4 hours and most of a tank of propane, and was a lot of work. There was all kind of smoke and dust, and I was really glad to have a mask. If I ever do that again, I'll be tempted to break out one of my old respirators. I used to work around a lot of different gases and chemicals, and am very familiar with proper PPE. I've spent a LOT of time in a respirator, as well as a chem-suit, a cleanroom suit, and flame-retardant gear...

On the subject of lube-sizing- I've spent a LOT of hours with a Lyman 45 and 450. Then I decided to give powder coating a try... For me, powder coating is a game changer. I love it, would never go back to greasy, waxy lube. After coating I just push them quickly through a Lee sizer and they're perfect.

I've heard people say to never use a non-jacketed bullet above 1000 fps. Nonsense. Even before powder coating, I loaded lubed cast bullets to 1400fps in a .44 Magnum without leading. With powder coating, I load plain-base bullets in .30 Carbine to 1800 fps, and gas-checked bullets in .30-30 to 2300 FPS just fine. Good accuracy and no leading.
Well you can't really be too careful. Once you get the poisoning it's with you for a long time. I set up a hood in my old shop that had enough suction it would suck a cigar ash right off the end and I could take a bottle cap in my open hand and it would suck it right off my hand. No problems with smoke or oxides getting loose in the shop there.

And yes no cast over 1000 fps is falderal. I can even shoot traditional lubed stuff out of my .351 at 1800 fps with no leading. And those are sized .352 with a homemade lube at a 12 bhn. I just prefer the PC because it's so much cleaner and stout all the way through the process. And no lube smoke;).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top