JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For those of you that may want a piece or two of quality ware that's ready to use, check out this guy in Milwaukie. I stopped by one day...he does a very god job of putting pieces in a "lye pit" then sanded, polished and seasoned.

Definitely nice looking stuff for a realistic price, So much I find is crazy insane priced... 450 for a Drip Drop roaster.. REALLY?

I have found just as much satisfaction bringing a piece of history back from the dead as I have found cooking with it. One can not help but think of who and what was cooked on the piece before you got it. The added plus is you get a real good "feel " for quality between the various manufacturers. The stories that that old iron pot could tell. Just my freshly minted 2¢

I have found just as much satisfaction bringing a piece of history back from the dead as I have found cooking with it. One can not help but think of who and what was cooked on the piece before you got it. The added plus is you get a real good "feel " for quality between the various manufacturers. The stories that that old iron pot could tell. Just my freshly minted 2¢
I agree with you on the do-it-yourself satisfaction part. Skillets and griddles have been pretty easy to find at thrift stores and estate sales. I tried finding a deep chicken roaster with a lid at these places with no luck. After a few months of looking, I gave up and bought the last few pieces I wanted from the guy in Milwaukie.

I've been told that old cast iron is easier to find when you get away from the metro area. Haven't been able to make those big scores in town. Anybody want to share their secrets?

I guess you could make a case for rural vs metro hunting grounds. The more popular cast iron becomes the harder the good stuff is to find. I was lucky and aquired most of my rarer pieces when cast cookery was more of a novelty than what it has become today. My waffle makers in good shape for example with some looking around, were somewhat common. Today...not so much.

The above is a long winded way to say "luck and patience is the secret " in my case anyway.
Rick

Brussels sprouts are in season. If you don't like 'em, you've never had 'em prepared correctly:

Cut the big ones in half, add a little olive oil & garlic salt, 400 degree oven and skillet, dump 'em in the skillet and roast in oven for 20-25 minutes stirring every 7 minutes. Fan-freakin-tastic!

Oh yeah, the smoked tri-tip was even better. :s0155:
I bought some Brussels sprouts today just to try out this recipe tonight.
I'm a cast iron fool and have more than I know what to do with. The attic isn't quite bowed (where I store the most of them) but I get by with a couple 8's, a 12, a 12" flatiron and a dinky little four or five.. all ancient, free and perfect that I store/keep inside my range/oven.

Not my doing, but I will be trying this one soon: My Favorite Meatloaf :s0155:

Attachment stolen for elsewhere...

meatloaf.jpg

No cooking for me for a while with a bum leg and it sucks! But look what the wife decided to whip up.

Ok trying to figure out this picture thing:s0054: Try this now

f82b226e-3b40-4d5d-8aaf-7b4d9a452ed4.jpg

if ya asked me I am voting for cast iron apple pie!!!!!!!! yuuuuummmmmmmmmm

DING DING DING we have a winner! Apple pie and yes it was good. Real easy recipe that she found somewhere on line. Funny thing is you use pre made pie dough. She felt funny as most are scratch made in our house.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top