JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just started playing with cast iron cookware...mostly used pieces I got from Goodwill...2x Griswold and 2x Lodge.. #8s and #10s....still shopping for a Dutch Oven, a deep pann and a couple smaller skillets....really like using them but still need to get that slick/non stick surface

Found this video online from Lodge....

Went into town with my wife today and did some shoppin. Found lots of CI, some really nice pieces. Might go back later this week. Today's haul included this Griswold Large Block Logo #8 Skillet With Dome Lid circa 1920-1940. Set me back $40. It's spending the night in lye, sure does need it. Extra grungy but should clean up nice. I think I did okay.

That's a good deal with the lid.

I scored a HUGE Griswold Dutch oven minus lid for free yesterday! It's full of vinegar as we speak.

You can buy the lids seperate on Ebay.

Cool video. I wish they milled their cooking surfaces smooth.

I have been collecting and cooking with Griswold for about 30 years, ever since my uncle showed me the difference.

I did polish down a Lodge pan once. I used an air powered sander [DA] with 80 grit pads. It took hours and lots of pads. It did come out OK but not as nice as a Griswold or Wagner. I concluded that polishing the junk made today was a waste of time when the good stuff is still available if you look around a bit, and it never wears out.

It bothers me everytime I see a rough cast skillet as I think of how little extra work at the factory with modern machinery it would take to make them nice. What happens to most current production cast iron pans today is they just end up in the bottom of the cupboard because they are such a pain to use.

You can find just about anything you want in the Griswold line on Ebay. You're going to have to pay in the neighborhood of $100 for a larger dutch oven with lid, but just price the nice porcelain coated ones at BiMart, not much difference in price. Those BTW are very nice and good for cooking high acid foods like tomato sauce.

I saw a very nice Griswold flat grill about big enough for two pancakes or tortillas last Sunday at an antique mall in Aurora for $15. I thought it was a steal. Anyone wants to know which place it was send me a PM. It's probably still there.

My grandma had a collection of cast iron she put together for her trip to the Montana homestead back in the 1920's
I still have it all: Griswold, that other quality brand, she planned on feeding up to 20 PPL per meal.
Lord! just figure on what it took to feed 60 meals a day when there was no fridge, no roads, no stores!
gotta kill, gut, skin, pluck, butcher, milk, cure, cook about 30 pounds of food a day, for months on end!
My grandma was One Tough Irish gal, she had 11 children, but even she gave-up on the Montana Dream!
PS I used a finish sander and 40 grit paper to clean the cook ware prior to re-curing.
(veg oil will wash away, lard cured iron will stay longer)
The method was to bake on a layer of hardened oil finish. animal protein based finish was superior to Veg oil finish. Hence all the attention to baking on the finish in old cook books.
If your a vegan be happy that you already scrubbed off the carbon finish, many pay dear money for, long before you scrubbed off your second, meat starved boyfriend!

Been awhile since the last post. Found a Chicken Pan at the Goodwill in Central Point to match the Dutch Oven. Griswold made a line of unmarked cast iron called Iron Mountain. The consecutive casting numbers 1034,1035,1036,1037 are pretty cool.
May our lives glorify God,
Michael

Iron Mountain Chicken Pan 1034 1035 DO 1036 1037 001.JPG

I did not get a picture but finally cooked brussel sprouts in the #9 cast iron skillet. They turned out good enough my Wife said, "They are not bad". She also said it is time for some cast iron cornbread!
Michael

Picked up a really crusty cast iron frying pan back in the early 70's. Took it camping with us and put it in the evening camp fire, Next morning dug it out of the ashes wiped it off washed it, greased it up and made breakfast with it. Still using it. Took some time to find a 12 inch cast iron lid for it. Our favorite frying pan.

Been eating microwave popcorn for years until I found a way to do it with cast iron. I am not strong enough to make a big batch (cast iron is heavy!) and it takes about 20 minutes start to finish but the Wife and I like it a lot. This was 1/4 cup kernels with a spoonful of coconut oil heated over medium heat in a #5 skillet. With a lid if you want the popped corn to stay in the pan. It gets exiting when you lift the lid and the very last kernel pops!
Michael

image.jpg

Last Edited:
image.jpeg I've been using/collecting and cooking with cast iron for the better part of 20 yrs. Nothing beats the older pieces like Griswold or Wagner
I have some in various condition I must get to...thanks for bringing back this thread.

When I was first married my new bride took a scrub brush and a generous squirt of Dawn dish detergent to my one and only cast iron skillet that I had inherited and had carefully seasoned over ten years.
"Look honey, doesn't it look better now that I cleaned it all up!"

Last Edited:
Michael, that looks really good!
I would be forever greatful for the recipe sir.
French Toast Bake Recipe
Ingredients you will need:
  • 1 (1/2 lb.) loaf French bread
  • 2 T butter
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 1/2 C. milk
  • 2 T sugar
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • Maple Syrup, optional
  • 10 inch cast iron pot (Dutch oven

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
    Tear 1 (1/2lb) loaf French bread into 1-2 inch pieces. Place into cast iron pot.
    Break 4 eggs into medium bowl.
    Pour 1 1/2 cup milk into bowl with eggs.
    Add 2 tablespoons sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 /2 teaspoon vanilla extract to egg yolks and milk. Whisk it all together.
    Pour mixture over bread. Stir lightly.
    Add 2 tablespoons of chopped butter. Bake uncovered in oven for 30 minutes or until contents has set.
    Remove from heat and serve to grateful friends and family!
  • I used some left over bread and bumped the eggs up to 6 because I like eggs.

Last Edited:
Just a suggestion for you if you have a self cleaning oven.

Place the skillet in the oven upside down and turn on the self clean operation. It may very well clean it up and smooth it out enough for you to wash it and re-season it without any grinding. If it doesn't, no harm, no foul.

Keep us in the loop. :s0155:

Cast iron is naturally porous. It is easy to sand. I would not use an angle grinder on it though unless you have a fine grit sanding disk on it. I have sanded the surface of a new cast iron pan before. it can actually be polished if you want to take the time. An Orbital sander works great. Afterward, the pan needs to be cured like normal. I love cast iron. No matter how bad I abuse it I have never warped one.

Rick49 you have some diamonds in the rough there.
My newest find is this #5 Griswold. Spent a few days in the lye bath then fresh coats of seasoning. It works just right for a couple of eggs for the Wife and I.
Michael

image.jpg image.jpg

Rick49 you have some diamonds in the rough there.
My newest find is this #5 Griswold. Spent a few days in the lye bath then fresh coats of seasoning. It works just right for a couple of eggs for the Wife and I.
Michael

View attachment 293967 View attachment 293968
No more room in the kitchen. I kinda forgot about the ones in the garage. Time to remedy that situation.:)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top