JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've used Redding dry lube, Redding die sizing wax, hornady one shot and my own personal lanolin mix.

The only two I didn't worry about removing prior to dropping powder inside were the hornady and Redding dry lube.

I'm currently using the Dillon spray lube. When that's gone, I will transition to homemade lanolin mix.

I place all the cases in a plastic container with the mouths facing up. I just give it a couple sprays, tilt it one way, another shot, tilt it the other, another shot, and then let it rest to let the alcohol evaporate.

It depends. We talking about rifle? Pistol?

Lube for seating a bullet or when sizing?

Be specific.

The quick and dirty way is to use use hornady one shot making sure you spray at
angle that gets into case mouths. Just make sure and let cases sit 5 minutes or so before sizing. There really is no need to worry about cleaning it out of cases afterwards unless using a fine ball powder which will stick to residual lube in neck. The other lube I use is the iso alc./lanolin homemade concoction. It works very well but you will need to clean cases out afterwards as all powders will stick to residual lanolin. I usually just give them a quick wet tumble after sizing.

Dry motor mica. The application kits come with a reservoir for the powder and a holder for a neck sized nylon brush.

Dip case mouth in powder , run it over the brush to leave just a trace in the neck and then size.

It doesn't contaminate powder, make a mess and only takes maybe a second longer in handling the case over not.

I have purposely left the residual from one shot and the alc/lanolin lube in the cases and I can tell you it will not foul the powder charge or change ignition in any way,
as far as I could tell.

RCBS case lube, I apply it evenly either with a rag used from an old shirt or some other fine cotton cloth, I wrap it around something smaller than the case mouth, apply the lube to the first half inch or so of the rag, insert case neck and give the case a spin. It goes pretty quick and you only apply as much as you need. Too much and you start getting dented shoulders.

I will be more specific. Rifle - .308 - re-sizing once fired cases - small base dies - expander ball needs lube. Seeking answers on how you folks apply lube and what you are using. Please
I run q Q-tip with this on the end zip tied to my press:

Or you can get some Hex-boron nitride dry lube and BB's
or this:

and dip the case mouth in it every few cases.

I'm currently using the Dillon spray lube. When that's gone, I will transition to homemade lanolin mix.

I place all the cases in a plastic container with the mouths facing up. I just give it a couple sprays, tilt it one way, another shot, tilt it the other, another shot, and then let it rest to let the alcohol evaporate.

That's my regimen for my lanolin mix. I spray the mouths and primer pockets then resize and swage .223/5.56.;)

Interesting read. In my 40 years of reloading, I never lubed the inside of a case mouth. Rifle or pistol.
I thought about it once for some 270 Win brass, but sold the gun so if there was a problem it went away.

I have purposely left the residual from one shot and the alc/lanolin lube in the cases and I can tell you it will not foul the powder charge or change ignition in any way,
as far as I could tell.
Even if I use RCBS etc. sizing lube smeared on the mouth giggity I never remove it.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top