JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey RicInOR, have you shot this stage:
1. Three targets at 7 or 10 yards (I can't remember which).
2. String 1: At the buzzer, the shooter draws from garment cover and engages target 1 with 2 rds to the chest and 1 rd to the head in under 3 seconds.
3. String 2: Repeat for target 2.
4. String 3: Repeat for target 3.

A good example of another basic skills drill. Good hits are required, and not finishing any of the strings in under 3 seconds draws penalty points.

This basic skill is needed to engage attackers in the open. Lacking the ability, one would need to consider alternative tactics/strategies, such as going for cover, covert draw if possible, subterfuge (dirty tricks), or seizing a hostage for human shield (always remember that Shane didn't need to outrun Otis).;)

Last Edited:
@bbbass sounds like the classifier.
Or a stage based off of it.

The copy paste formatting sucks a bit:
9.8.6 Stage One. Limited Scoring, 7 yards (6.4 meters) String Position Instructions Shots
1 1 Draw and fire two shots to the body and then one to the head on T1. 3
2 1 Draw and fire two shots to the body and then one to the head on T2. 3
3 1 Draw and fire two shots to the body and then one to the head on T3. 3
4 1 Draw and fire two shots at each head T1-T3 in any order. 6
The Scorekeeper will watch for required head shots that miss the head and hit the body. These hits below the head area must be noted or pasted before shooting String Five.

IDPA does not use PAR times. That is maximum time allowed to complete the string.

But those are good to use in practice. Many timers support that feature, or timer apps on Smarty-pants phones.

The question becomes what should the PAR be?
For training - I think the answer is a little bit less than last time. Continuous improvement is the goal.

In Steel, you can see how the shots go. The top shooters are getting a draw & 5 shots on 5 targets in under 2 seconds. I am happy to be under 5 seconds!

Of course I shoot IDPA which means I Don't Practice Anymore.

IDPA does not use PAR times.

Well there ya go. That's why we don't often do it.

Must-----not-----deviate. I suppose the sky would fall and members hair would light on fire if one stage was non-IDPA conforming, just for fun and training value? Or is it all about the game? Your club ever have any fun shoots, like a zombie shoot or something?

Steel? I'm too old for that.

@all - Sooooo anyway, back on topic... I would like to see counties adopt physical hands on requirements for CHL. My wife had to go to a indoor class in the morning, then to a range to shoot 50rds. Didn't hurt her none.

Last Edited:
Sooooo anyway, back on topic... I would like to see counties adopt physical hands on requirements for CHL. My wife had to go to a indoor class in the morning, then to a range to shoot 50rds. Didn't hurt her none.

Are the classes free? Is the 50rds free? What if you cannot afford it? Should you not be able to get a CHL or CPL?

"While permits and licenses are required then it is just a privilege." So if there were no licenses required to conceal carry then you do not think people need hands on training?

Last Edited:
"While permits and licenses are required then it is just a privilege." So if there were no licenses required to conceal carry then you do not think people needing hands on training?

Not that they don't need it, but there would be no basis to require it.

Since we do have that, except in certain states, then why would we not want people to be trained up?

Last Edited:
everyone should have the right to bear arms but I've never understood why someone wouldn't want to be trained on how to use it.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." — Jeff Cooper

@all - Adding range time should not cost more than $5 added to the $15 class fee people already pay. Many teachers volunteer their time to teach CHL classes and many ranges would, I believe, do the same. LGRPC does. Additionally, the cost of a box of shells being $10-$15 there would be $15-$20 total added to the cost of an existing CHL class. Considering that many of us spend $600, $800, even $1200 or more for a pistol, that doesn't seem like a lot.

However for the truly poor... well I think they would be better off with shotguns rather than going up against the assailants without any kind of training on shooting. Perhaps the law that sets up a requirement for lab time in CHL classes could also set up funding or donations for the impoverished.

Sponsor a needy kid to Appleseed.

Besides the cost of this particular hobby, why would you not want to get out and enjoy your time in the great outdoors, and why not spend a few minutes practicing a fun skill while your out and about. A few boxes of shells every week or two is nothing, How much gas do you use running around besides coming/going to work? You get out what you put into it!

I made some target stands and have some IDPA targets (man silhouette). Since I'm a member at the range, I can go up anytime I want and often take my wife or friends to practice with me. It's important to stay trained up!! Since I reload I can keep the cost down. Woohoo, lucky me!!!!!

I spend on average about $200 or so every two weeks just on pistol ammo! The wife once asked why so much? after a night at the local watering hole and down $180 on the bar tab, she quit asking about the ammo expense, figuring it was safer and cheaper (not to mention the expense of her shoe habit) so the expenses is ok to me! I reload most of my own ammo, so you can imagine how much that saves me! I enjoy it a lot and am constantly improving! Now the Varmint hunting is what gets expensive!!!

My wife and I both carry. When I first got my CCW in CA, I had to take a similar shooting test. Got 60 out of 60.

Wish I knew where I could go for classes but not interested in thousand dollar price tags. It's just me I think. A few simple basic stuff for the wife would be preferred.

South Central Oregon is not a place to find businesses or services.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top